Elon Musk Bought 9.2% of Twiter

The IRONY of a liberal journalist working for a liberal media outlet attacking social media for its bias and admitting the Hunter Biden laptop story is genuine. Admitting the FBI was wrong and calling out the gov't over DHS' mission creep and the "Disinfo governance board."

What a bizarre world in which we live.

People are already paying $5. Why can’t he charge inflation?

Edit to add:
Him charging a slightly higher cost, to not rely on advertising, allows him to be free of influence of advertising. No dealing with lost revenue because some PA person doesn’t like the “image” and pulls an ad.

I saw that some Hollywood folks have deactivated their accounts or whatever it is that children do.

The fee for blue checks might be a troll to encourage the trash to self select. Either way, I read it for gaming news and have zero posts, so whatever. I’m enjoying the chaos.

Edit to add:
Him charging a slightly higher cost, to not rely on advertising, allows him to be free of influence of advertising. No dealing with lost revenue because some PA person doesn’t like the “image” and pulls an ad.

I will admit my ignorance, is twitter not free? I thought having a blue check mark meant you were verified to be the actual person you claim to be? I didn’t know it meant anything more than that.

Edit to add:
So there's two seperate things going on here.

The "paid tier" you're describing is called Twitter Blue. It allows for ad-free feeds, amongst a number of other user benefits.

The thing people are upset about is the "Blue Checkmark", which is currently not a paid thing.

The blue checkmark is currently a free thing that Twitter does which proves the person using it is who they say they are. Say @AWP has some streamer who he follows for gaming news, amd that person has a Blue check. They've had to apply for that and meet an unspecified amount of the following criteria.

Individuals in gaming​

Individual accounts of esport athletes that are affiliated with Verified gaming teams or leagues.

Prerequisites:​

• Account’s follower count is in the top .05% in their region
  • Are affiliated with a Verified gaming team or league and reference it in their bio
  • Account must satisfy the criteria outlined in the above category denoting active accounts
You may also be required to provide the following information to determine your notability and authenticity:

• A link to official team or league website referencing applicant as professional esports athlete or coach for Verified esports team
  • Links to 3 or more articles about or referencing the individual published within the 6 months prior to applying in news outlets such as Launcher, Gamesbeat, Dexerto, Kotaku, Polygon, or IGN
  • A photo of a valid government-issued ID
  • Official websites or news articles published by already Verified organizations that reference the applicant’s Twitter handle or registered email address can help authenticate the applicant's account.

The Blue checkmark is basically Twitter telling users "we're sure this person is who they claim to be."

The concern with Musk is that if he makes the checkmark just another aspect of the paid tier then the likelihood of scams accounts will skyrocket like they have on YouTube.

I will admit my ignorance, is twitter not free? I thought having a blue check mark meant you were verified to be the actual person you claim to be? I didn’t know it meant anything more than that.
I don’t use Twitter, but currently there is a “premium” version that allows you certain features such as editing posts, and other customizations.

Basically all that is happening, is he is making “Twitter Blue” a prerequisite for verification. Which, if you’re using Twitter for official business like many of these people are (marketing, journalism, etc.) that seems reasonable.

Yeah he is going to run it into the ground. I don’t really get what he is doing, but I also don’t care. I don’t use it, so I don’t understand what all the fuss is about.
I’ve gone from a Musk fan (“he’s like a fat Tony stark”) to someone who just wants him to shut up and keep making rockets to put Americans into space…

The Twitter deal is generally reaffirming the latter stance…. But I have hope, a small sliver, that he is intentionally trying to destroy the site and begin the down fall of social media.

begin the down fall of social media.
Probably too late for that now. Something else would just come up. Vine and Tumblr got replaced. Facebook and Snap have lost popularity, yet social media is as large as ever. It would just migrate elsewhere like Instagram or Tiktok (or reddit to an extent) like it has before.

Yeah he is going to run it into the ground. I don’t really get what he is doing, but I also don’t care. I don’t use it, so I don’t understand what all the fuss is about.
If it means less liberals with a platform to spew their nonsense [and hate], that's good for our country.

The "paid tier" you're describing is called Twitter Blue. It allows for ad-free feeds, amongst a number of other user benefits.

The thing people are upset about is the "Blue Checkmark", which is currently not a paid thing.

The blue checkmark is currently a free thing that Twitter does which proves the person using it is who they say they are. Say @AWP has some streamer who he follows for gaming news, amd that person has a Blue check. They've had to apply for that and meet an unspecified amount of the following criteria.

The Blue checkmark is basically Twitter telling users "we're sure this person is who they claim to be."

The concern with Musk is that if he makes the checkmark just another aspect of the paid tier then the likelihood of scams accounts will skyrocket like they have on YouTube.
Most blueanons are just scum that need to be ejected into orbit. Although your last point doesn't make sense since Twitter has an insane amount of scam and bot accounts right now. Most people who have the checkmark are worthless in what they do. But it gives them credibility which attracts more followers.

Last edited:

Interesting. Like others here, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Twitter. I thought the blue check verification also had something to do with the number of followers and/or significance/stature of the account.

Basically all that is happening, is he is making “Twitter Blue” a prerequisite for verification. Which, if you’re using Twitter for official business like many of these people are (marketing, journalism, etc.) that seems reasonable.

This is probably the best option to implement. Charging for the checkmark but keeping in the verification procedures for larger accounts.

I could see something like an ID verification for non-"notable" accounts to get a checkmark.

If it means less liberals with a platform to spew their nonsense [and hate], that's good for our country.

Most blueanons are just scum that need to be ejected into orbit. Although your last point doesn't make sense since Twitter has an insane amount of scam and bot accounts right now. Most people who have the checkmark are worthless in what they do. But it gives them credibility which attracts more followers.

Twitter is shit. That's the opinion of everybody in this thread.

However, the verification checkmark is one of the few legitimately good things twitter has going for it above some other social media when it comes to combating scam.

It'd be much better if Musk implemented it more fairly rather than making it a paid cosmetic feature.

Interesting. Like others here, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Twitter. I thought the blue check verification also had something to do with the number of followers and/or significance/stature of the account.

It plays a role in what they consider "notable". If I'm a journalist who works for Fox I'd get the verification through that, but if I was independent I have to show I reach a large enough audience and am published in enough sources.

So guys like Philip Defranco or Andy Ngo would show notability based on number of views and the publications they get work in.

The IRONY of a liberal journalist working for a liberal media outlet attacking social media for its bias and admitting the Hunter Biden laptop story is genuine. Admitting the FBI was wrong and calling out the gov't over DHS' mission creep and the "Disinfo governance board."

What a bizarre world in which we live.
* maniacal laughter *

tin man dancing GIF by Partizan

One of us, one of us, one of us, one of us.
(This was better)

Last edited:
No it’s not. I happen to think it is a great resource of information.

Caught me lacking on not being clear with a broad statement.

Twitter can be an excellent source of citizen news and ground level reporting.

When you get down to the individual user level and the sort of discourse it incentives, it's pretty shitty.

Caught me lacking on not being clear with a broad statement.

Twitter can be an excellent source of citizen news and ground level reporting.

When you get down to the individual user level and the sort of discourse it incentives, it's pretty shitty.

Yes, and yes.

I used to have an account, I followed a couple local meteorologists and local sports teams. Great information from the mets--better and more accurate than the TV people--but fans from other teams would just talk pure shit on the sports stuff. So I deactivated the account.

Back