Enlisted Marine to Enlisted Army SF

HeavyRuck

U.S. Marine
Verified Military
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen,
I researched and reviewed the forum with multiple keywords regarding Interservice Transfers. I am a Marine currently looking to Lateral Move into Special Forces. I have heard that there are military personnel out there that transfer to different branches within the military to further their career and do the job that they aspire to do. Has anyone had experiences with this or know of others who have successfully completed a transfer from Enlisted Marine to Enlisted Army SF?

Thanks
HR

I know 4 former Marines that went SF. It's a huge hassle according to them, but worth it if you want to do the SF mission. You might want to do the research about the differences in missions for SF and Rangers and Marsoc. It could open your eyes to what you really want to do, there are some overlaps in mission but the key components of the primary mission sets are very different. Just food for thought.

Thank you kindly xSF med! The thing that holds me back from transferring is that I am a Marine and the pride I have for this branch is untouchable.

Thank you kindly xSF med! The thing that holds me back from transferring is that I am a Marine and the pride I have for this branch is untouchable.

I think you just answered your own question...

Pardus, I think I just did too! I'm digging the forum. Researching this place has answered alot of my questions!

There are a lot of former Marines in SF. Just because you change services doesn't mean you have to lose what you identified with as a Marine. If nothing else you have more experience to bring to the table.

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen,
I researched and reviewed the forum with multiple keywords regarding Interservice Transfers. I am a Marine currently looking to Lateral Move into Special Forces. I have heard that there are military personnel out there that transfer to different branches within the military to further their career and do the job that they aspire to do. Has anyone had experiences with this or know of others who have successfully completed a transfer from Enlisted Marine to Enlisted Army SF?

Thanks
HR

http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/threads/usmc-to-army-sf-as-a-long-term-goal.18953/#navigation

If your are an E-4 or below, it shouldn't be too difficult to join the Army as an 18x. If you are E-5 and above, than NG SF would probably be your only route into SF.
Why is that? Does SF have a rank ceiling for getting into Q course?

I'm not sure on all the details, but there is a prior service AF E-5 that is an 18X in my airborne class right now.

I am currently in the process of switching from Marine enlisted to Army enlisted... Trying for Army SF very soon.
The process is all dependent on your chain of command. My immediate chain sent it higher than it had to go, and my division took its sweet time to sign off on it. The process is very frustrating when you work very hard to get all of your end done, and then someone else drags ass and talks shit about you for leaving the Corps for the Army... I am looking forward to my time in the Army, and giving my ALL towards a Special Forces carreer.

If you have any questions about the process or the problems I experienced while trying to transfer let me know. That is, if your interested in the Army side of things.... The Army SF or MARSOC deal took me years to debate.

In the end it was the SF vs. MARSOC rap battle that won me over!! jk

SemperMoto, did you send that request up with a decent amount of time still left on your contract? I'm looking to possibly do the same, but I still have a good chunk of time in the Corps. I've heard you can and can't cross deck while still having time on your contract. I don't feel like that is possible, but wasn't 100%.

I went from the Navy to the Marine Corps, but just on a whim one day in between I decided to talk to the Army to see how difficult it would be to get an 18X contract as prior service. As long as I met the qualifications they said, I could leave within months. This was in 2011. I know you can't do jack shit until you have that DD214 (RE-1) though. Good luck in your quest brother, it takes balls to make that move. S/F

My Uncle enlisted in the USMC back in the days and went to Vietnam. Got out and joined the Army reserve for family reasons. He made CSM before he retired a few years ago but was recalled to active duty to go to Afghanistan. That was his only deployment with the Army reserves. I will be 40 this year and as far as I can remember he has attended the local Marine birthday ball EVERY year and goes to other USMC Vietnam Vet related functions EVERY year. He was the first person I talked to about my current situation and wanting to switch branches. His advice, "NOBODY is more a Marine then me... I'll always be a Marine but you also have to do what will make you happy for the long term". That was all I needed to hear.

Back