F35b pilot ejects…after landing

The only thing I know about aircraft is how to board one, but holy shit.
I have to wonder what the pilot saw/felt that caused him to eject here.

And that did not exactly look like a soft landing onto the tarmac.

Internet guess (pilots, not me) is the fan died and he lost control of the engine; look closely at the exhaust area, the puffs of white smoke are an indication of some sort of failure. The hard 2nd landing broke the nose gear off, and a (possible) run away engine. Pilots from another site I lurk on say emergency procedure calls for an ejection if the plane leaves the runway, which this one did. Staying with the plane and crashing through the fence could have made egress impossible (or forced an ejection through the fence). Pilot made the right choice, 1 1/2 swings under canopy is butt-numbing to me.

"The U.S. Department of Defense confirmed Thursday afternoon the crashed aircraft was owned by Lockheed Martin and had not yet been transferred to the U.S. government. The DOD said it didn’t know specifics about the pilot, including whether he or she is a Marine. The Pentagon declined to comment further on the situation.

Lockheed Martin confirmed the pilot is a U.S. government employee. The company declined to comment on the cause of the crash until further investigation...'

Complete article:

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article270048007.html

Speculation now the the fan (used for VTOL) failed catastrophically, and the thrust from the engine caused the nose over.
The engine then "ran away" and the pilot had to eject once he left the runway.
That said, it may be a repairable plane, and it will give the AIB a ton of info via the computers.

I saw footage of an ejection on a carrier. My man was in his first oscillation when he hit the carrier’s deck.

There was a guy on Instagram that stated there's an auto eject depending on the angle of plane on landing.

There was a guy on Instagram that stated there's an auto eject depending on the angle of plane on landing.

That's a little frightening because you could be outside of the proper body position and all when the thing fires.

ETA: Today I learned AF pilots are calling the F-35 "Panther," but also "Fat Amy" and "Battle Penguin."

The most modern fighter on the planet is nicknamed Fat Amy. lol Coincidentally, that's @amlove21's trans burlesque name when we hit the circuit this upcoming summer. "Fat Amy and Fat Wendy: Crossing into the Blue" Tickets will sell out fast, buy yours today!

That's a little frightening because you could be outside of the proper body position and all when the thing fires.

ETA: Today I learned AF pilots are calling the F-35 "Panther," but also "Fat Amy" and "Battle Penguin."

The most modern fighter on the planet is nicknamed Fat Amy. lol Coincidentally, that's @amlove21's trans burlesque name when we hit the circuit this upcoming summer. "Fat Amy and Fat Wendy: Crossing into the Blue" Tickets will sell out fast, buy yours today!
They're selling out quickly. FRFR.

I love the "Fat Amy" nickname, it's freaking hilarious.

"Fat Amy" is also the name of my favorite character in the "Pitch Perfect" movie series.

Back