F35b pilot ejects…after landing

I first heard it referred to as "Fat Amy" a couple years and thought it was hilarious. It's perfect and I've referred to it as such ever since. :thumbsup:

That's a little frightening because you could be outside of the proper body position and all when the thing fires.

ETA: Today I learned AF pilots are calling the F-35 "Panther," but also "Fat Amy" and "Battle Penguin."

The most modern fighter on the planet is nicknamed Fat Amy. lol Coincidentally, that's @amlove21's trans burlesque name when we hit the circuit this upcoming summer. "Fat Amy and Fat Wendy: Crossing into the Blue" Tickets will sell out fast, buy yours today!

I just laughed out loud...

I saw footage of an ejection on a carrier. My man was in his first oscillation when he hit the carrier’s deck.

There are a bunch of vids on YT with these. I like to watch them at lunch when I am at work. The good thing about carrier aviation ops: they are ALL on video for posterity.

There are a bunch of vids on YT with these. I like to watch them at lunch when I am at work. The good thing about carrier aviation ops: they are ALL on video for posterity.
Ward Carroll did 2 or 3 videos on these, fatal and non-fatal outcomes. They are fascinating (and horrific) to watch, especially as he narrates the 5W's behind the events.

IMO, the guys and gals with the biggest stones in naval aviation are in the E-2/ C-2 (and the older generations without rockets) because they don't have ejection seats. Bad cat shot, bad landing... fight it until you win or die, but usually the latter.

My old boss was on the first full crew to survive an E-2 bailout.
Hawkeye Bailout at 4,000 Feet

Ward Carroll did 2 or 3 videos on these, fatal and non-fatal outcomes. They are fascinating (and horrific) to watch, especially as he narrates the 5W's behind the events.

IMO, the guys and gals with the biggest stones in naval aviation are in the E-2/ C-2 (and the older generations without rockets) because they don't have ejection seats. Bad cat shot, bad landing... fight it until you win or die, but usually the latter.

My old boss was on the first full crew to survive an E-2 bailout.
Hawkeye Bailout at 4,000 Feet

I had to teach a class aboard the Ike, we trapped and launched via C-2. The crew chief basically told us there were no emergency procedures in case of trapping or launching failures. If we went over, head to a hatch and do our best.

I dig Ward Carroll's videos. He puts out good stuff.

Back