Foam Rollers

reed11b

Paratrooper
Verified Military
OK, so I read a lot about how great foam rollers are for recovery, but my stone age knuckle dragging self has failed to find a good website, document or video explaining HOW to use a foam roller effectively. I am guessing this has more to do with me being semi-retarded then any actual lack of available information. Would one of you smarter types please provide an azimuth and distance to said info?
Reed

OK, so I read a lot about how great foam rollers are for recovery, but my stone age knuckle dragging self has failed to find a good website, document or video explaining HOW to use a foam roller effectively. I am guessing this has more to do with me being semi-retarded then any actual lack of available information. Would one of you smarter types please provide an azimuth and distance to said info?
Reed
Oh man- if you are not hip to www.mobilitywod.com, the Trigger Point website (google it) and so on and so forth, you need to be. Take it from a relatively old, very long "broken" history dude- the rolling/stretching/mobility train is not fadish or stupid. If I have to choose between only getting a short workout or a good mobility session in any given day, I pick the mobility session. It wasn't always like that. The rolling/trigger point/mashing/stretching that I do now is no kidding the reason I am as healthy as I am now and still walking upright.

Best place to buy them? Best brand to buy?

LL
I took about 2 and 1/2 feet of 6 inch diameter PVC pipe and cut a piece of old yoga mat to fit the outside and glued it.....cheap and gets the job done. If you're a badass then you can say F the padding on the outside and just go straight PVC.

I believe the most important factor in choosing a foam roller is its stiffness. You want to buy the hardest stiffest roller to get the most benefit out of it. Another great tool for the same effect is to use a medicine ball. I use it specifically for my quads and glutes and it is better at hitting those really tight spots due to it being a ball.

I developed ITBS a few years back when I was running a lot of distance...the rollers are painful and no fun to use but can make a world of difference.

Oh man- if you are not hip to www.mobilitywod.com, the Trigger Point website (google it) and so on and so forth, you need to be. Take it from a relatively old, very long "broken" history dude- the rolling/stretching/mobility train is not fadish or stupid. If I have to choose between only getting a short workout or a good mobility session in any given day, I pick the mobility session. It wasn't always like that. The rolling/trigger point/mashing/stretching that I do now is no kidding the reason I am as healthy as I am now and still walking upright.

I really like Kelly Starrett in that he's not typical of MOST PT's in regards to training. However, you can't understand the guy half the time and i'm not talking about the anatomy lingo.

I bought one from the NEX for $15. There are some out there in excess of $60. Mine works just fine.
x2 on the lacrosse balls, MWOD and pretty much everything else so far. A frozen water bottle works well too for the arches of the feet.

I believe the most important factor in choosing a foam roller is its stiffness. You want to buy the hardest stiffest roller to get the most benefit out of it. Another great tool for the same effect is to use a medicine ball. I use it specifically for my quads and glutes and it is better at hitting those really tight spots due to it being a ball.

Don't get a soft roller. I've been using a foam roller for several years now, and the softer rollers, don't get the job done.

You've written some pretty good articles on training and nutrition. I'd be interested in seeing one on this.

Hmmmmm. Methinks you have a point Milky. I'll put something together.

I'd like to see you touch on some of your injury history and how you've overcome it through self torture..I mean..rolling, mobbing ect. I know I'm not the only one here with broken bits that is currently in and would like to continue on.

I have both the Trigger Point Grid and black (dense) Rumble Roller. I'll review both.

The Grid:
Very decent, but expensive. The firmness has been sustained for more than one year of use, whereas the generic ones become softer after a while. More intersections = more dense, so you can kinda modulate the "intensity". This is my preferred roller.
holiday_shopping_guide_Trigger_Point_The_Grid.jpg

Rumble Roller:
Also expensive, but higher quality. I bought the black, more dense version, thinking I was a bad ass. Don't. Unless you're carrying around a lot of weight (fat or muscle) or you're a seasoned roller, this will be painful. I can not tolerate it on anything but my glutes and back, and I'm by no means skinny. Going back I would have bought the blue variation.
Rumble-Roller.jpg

I've had a foam roller for over a year but to be honest my sessions have been half assed. The past 2-3 days I have focused religously on my IT band, quads, calves, hams and I'm hitting some "honey badger of pain" spots. Don't BS me, does it EVER get comfortable?

haha, well from what I've experienced it never really gets comfortable, but you should be able to notice it hurting a little less the more you do it. The IT band and quads (for me) are always particularly tight and I'm always able to find a tight spot to roll out, especially on the quads as you can orient your leg to hit different sides of the muscle, which is why I like to use a medicine ball for them although you can do the same on a foam roller. Plus, the areas/spots that hurt the most are the ones you want to pay extra attention too!

I've had a foam roller for over a year but to be honest my sessions have been half assed. The past 2-3 days I have focused religously on my IT band, quads, calves, hams and I'm hitting some "honey badger of pain" spots. Don't BS me, does it EVER get comfortable?

It gets more tolerable, either by you acclimating to the pain, or by working the kinks out. I think it is more related to working the kinks out, because as the pain spots lessen I find mobility increasing. Take a step up to a rumble roller or the grid and see a world of difference (and you can't really half ass those ones).

Back