Foam Rollers

I've become a huge fan of the foam roller, particularly for the lumbar and thoracic spine. For the legs I've been using the stick roller.

My foam roller came in the mail on Monday. I have been using it since then. I usually do about one minute per part and about 5 or so different parts. Feels really good.

I got a good firm one at a Walmart for like fifteen bucks to keep in my locker, in my car, whatever. I love a good foam roller, before and after workouts I'll roll. For lower body days, I do hamstrings, each glute, calves, quads, IT bands(A good HURT), and groin(making sweet love to the foam roller). For upper body days I do upper and lower back, and traps. I tend to add extra focus on the areas that are really sore. During fall camp I would roll everything before practice, and did the same before games. They're a life line man.

Found this on how to on Foam Rollers. This might be good for you FNG or even salty dogs looking for some new techniques.

Attachments

• Self-Myofascial-Release-Purpose-Methods-and-Techniques-Mike-Robertson-.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
Related to myofascial release, but not foam rollers:

I was having ridiculous trouble with shin splints (Well, shin splints in one shin) following Tough Mudder about two weeks ago. I tried stretching, I tried not running, used all sorts of pain killers and none of them helped too much. Then I found this youtube video that describe a technique for rolling your foot that made a world of difference:

About a day and a half after doing a few sessions of this, my shin was pain-free and feeling great. I suggest you all give it a try if shin splints ever rear their ugly head.

I used an old wooden rolling pine, Paula Dean of course. That was harsh. I'm now in the wiser market of getting a proper foam roller, and a stick roller.

Back