Full auto carbines and law enforcement.

I'm glad you mentioned the "Center Peel" But, I can't see any scenario that law enforcement would employ a peel.

I can't either for most LE routine duties on the 'street.' Keep in mind; however, we could have to deal with both domestic and foreign terrorist at any time anywhere in the USA at any time.

That said, most major departments in the USA have to consider what happened in Russia. SWAT teams with FA weapons need to train with this type of incident in mind. It could happen here ... We have plenty of sleeper cells in the USA! (Not to mention our porous boarders! :eek:

This would be training for special units like SWAT who will have to contain the situation, until it was decided whose jurisdiction such a situation would be handled by. My guess the FBI to start with, but local LE will respond first and have to deal with it until they sort it out at the political level. In the end it might take the declaration of Martial law and the use of military Spec Ops. units, etc. }:-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_hostage_crisis

I can't either for most LE routine duties on the 'street.' Keep in mind; however, we could have to deal with both domestic and foreign terrorist at any time anywhere in the USA at any time.

That said, most major departments in the USA have to consider what happened in Russia. SWAT teams with FA weapons need to train with this type of incident in mind. It could happen here ... We have plenty of sleeper cells in the USA! (Not to mention our porous boarders! :eek:

This would be training for special units like SWAT who will have to contain the situation, until it was decided whose jurisdiction such a situation would be handled by. My guess the FBI to start with, but local LE will respond first and have to deal with it until they sort it out at the political level. In the end the might take the declaration of Martial law and the use of military Spec Ops, etc. }:-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_hostage_crisis

Great responses, thanks for keeping this going.

Let's examine the Beslan incident. This seems to me to be an almost NON PERMISSIVE envirenment for shooters with school kids all cluttered through the room while being held captive. At best it's a SEMI PERMISSIVE envirenment and I can't see opeing up on full auto in that scenario if a team is going to breach the doors or the walls. With proper intel, counter intel on the room situation you could use double taps instead of full auto and accomplish much more safety to the room occupants no ?

Just some thoughts.

Another good incident is the "Good Guys" electronics store with SWAT.

There was and is alot to learned from this incident. SWAT had major success's and some major failures before this ended. It also makes for good reading. In this scenario the employment of the .45 ACP Sig pistol was also used with success vs a rifle or subgun.

HERE: http://www.swatdigest.com/archives/arch_june_goodguys.html

82ndtrooper;185648]I can see the limitations of the MP5 series and 9mm Luger, hence the AR15 or the G36 rifle. Like every weapon there are certain limitations and one cannot be fully implimented for all puposes.

True! Cost is sometimes a factor as well in selection.

Trip Wires SWAT teams must be much more advanced than ours. Our is a county wide SWAT team made up of members of all the cities PD's in the county.

Yes, however, mine didn't start out that way! I was the one who implemented the start of the team, it was a tough and continuing fight with the Departments heads and especially the budget people. — The Battle continues. ...

As of now every single newbie to the force wants on the county SWAT. Last I checked we had one SOF guy on the team and he got tired of working with what he called "less than desirable skill sets" We need a new trainup or something.

Something I didn't mention, unless a prospective member has a solid background in military Spec Ops., etc. (This is a individual case and he has to have finished probation.) otherwise he has to have been on the department five years. No Rookies!

We in Washington State have at least one team, like that composed of small cities. I don't favor such teams, nor small departments with teams where every member of the department is on the SWAT team, to include the chief in some cases. :rolleyes:

I favor having regional SWAT teams and Bomb Disposal units. The biggest reasons are money, more people to select from and most of all duplication of very expensive equipment and training time needed.

The thing that defeats regional teams, is politics! — Nobody wants to loose there own little Kingdom! }:-):doh:

Speaking of SWAT training, here is an e-mail I just received on training.:

TRAINING ANNOUNCEMENT:

The National Tactical Officers Association is once again offering a comprehensive 3-day tactical SWAT and bomb squad curriculum as part of the 25th NTOA Annual Tactical Operations Conference being held in Albuquerque, New Mexico on September 14-19, 2008

The 3-day curriculum is designed for Bomb Technicians, SWAT officers and supervisors who provide integrated support during high risk tactical operations and have little experience on how these two high risk disciplines will need to operate together. The course will involve one day of classroom presentations followed by a second day of practical exercises and presentations. The third day will involve a final tactical exercise where bomb/SWAT teams are integrated into a multi-jurisdictional and multi-discipline Field Training Exercise throughout the City of Albuquerque.

Day 1 – Orientation

Current Global & Domestic Threat

Principles of SWAT/Bomb Squad Integration

Threat Assessment

Pre-mission Planning/Briefing, Tools & Equipment

Improvised Explosive Device Awareness

Day 2 – Explosive Breaching Overview

Basic SWAT Movement & Drills

Practical Tasks

Day 3- Participation in the Multi-discipline FTX

For more information visit the National Tactical Officers Association’s web at

www.ntoa.org

BTW: I am a firm believer in SWAT Team/Bomb Disposal unit Integration!

TW,

I don't remember any ROE, especially for full auto M16A1's. :D

When we did recieve the M16A2 with a three round burst button, we did actually have some training on three round bursts at single targets with emphasis on ammo conservation. My first wake up call to what full auto was not, and what controlled burst where. Target to target, preferably on single fire and double taps.

My reason for the thread is that our city PD just recieved full auto's from the DoD and every single officer is now all giddy about the advent of having the "fun button" on their new shiny rifle. :uhh: I might add that none of our officers are military veterans with the exception of one that was with a ANG unit that was an MP unit.

Good points thus far. Thanks.

Interesting stuff. Trip Wire has far more info then I do. I have never heard of non RRT/SWAT getting FA ARs. In my experience (which is limited compared to many here), there's a wide range of experience and training of SWAT/RRT both team to team and within the team, so "SWAT" can = a group of well trained switched on guys to guys who have just slightly more training than other LEO's in their area and consider themselves SWAT by default of having the cool toys.

Of the SWAT/RRT I have been around, none went FA unless just goofing around for some fun at the range. Were the Dallas guys on the show just blasting off at the range for a goof or was it treated as part of training? Others here may have experience/knowledge of FA as part of training for a specific (albeit rare) scenario where FA might be required, but I have not seen it myself.

Although not a reflection of "real world" experience, but telling perhaps, none of the major SWAT comps, like SWAT Challenge, SWAT Roundup, etc have any FA stages, and the stages are designed to reflect real world challenges and or scenarios as best they can and are deigned by other SWAT/RRT types...It sounds like bad mojo handing out FA and I can see your concern there. Unlss they do a lot of training on their own, the average LEO is sub par with his side arm, much less a FA AR.

Hopefully these comments are not straying too far from my lane.

1. What is the need for FA in urban law enforcement ?
FA is not needed in a carbine or rifle, in LE or Mil. (If you need to suppress use a MG or rapid fire) heavy rates of suppression fire are not determined by the weapon, but by the control with in the team. Making the guns sing or talk EST.

2. If you are using an "FA" carbine, AR15, then how much training have you had with the use of "FA" and what ROE with "FA" does your department have ?

LE and in most cases Mil ROE’s do not allow for suppression fire. (Positive ID of threat and collateral damage) Now the Mil teaches and uses suppression fire in order to maneuver on or break contact from the enemy.

3. How much training on "FA" is enough ? One course of instruction ? two, three, and who is training you to use a weapon on "FA"

It is very important in the Mil community as far as burst control with a M249, M240, M2, MK19. Personal should have remedial training and practice quarterly IMO. As for LE they do not use the types of weapons and should not use the types of weapons… Now LE who use Sub guns MP5, P90, EST, should receive a solid 40hour course on each weapon used, followed with remedial training quarterly to include a qualification.

4. Given that the SFAUC only instructs it's students in "SEMI AUTO" type of fire, what justification do law enforcement officers and SWAT have to use and outdated firing method?

They really don’t, they are subject to use of force laws similar to a normal citizen. Every round sent out of their weapon is accounted for and they responsible for. If they shoot the innocent bystander, they are criminally and civilly liable… So even if being ambushed while responding to a call or what ever, if they use a high volume of fire to move to cover, break contact or maneuver on the threat. They have to use their judgment and hope to come out on top with what ever they choose. (Better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6, until you’re in the courtroom getting a life sentence)

Here is the method of fire used by the professional soldiers in the SOF community and straight from the SFAUC manual of CQB type of fire.

1. Slow aimed fire.
2. Controlled Pairs.
3. Double Taps.
4. Hammers.

What say you ??
I would say training should be focused on:

1. Slow fire
2. Controlled pair fire
3. Rapid fire

All shots are aimed and you only fire when you have the sights aligned. The double tap method doesn’t work unless extremely close in my personal experience.

As for LE having a Sub gun that is FA, I am all for it. But I cannot see any reason why LE or Mil would need a FA rifle/ Carbine…:2c:

All shots are aimed and you only fire when you have the sights aligned.

I will add my Auto fire was from the hip (at least half a mag sometimes a full mag, (not in one burst) before going to the shoulder) and yep it went where I wanted it to go :cool:

That said, it was for a very specific job in a very specific circumstance.

The double tap method doesn’t work unless extremely close in my personal experience.

:uhh: using a 7.62 at a distance I can understand but with a 5.56mm?

PUSSY!! :D ;)

I will add my Auto fire was from the hip (at least half a mag sometimes a full mag, (not in one burst) before going to the shoulder) and yep it went where I wanted it to go

That said, it was for a very specific job in a very specific circumstance.

What was that being an extra on a Rambo movie?:confused:

using a 7.62 at a distance I can understand but with a 5.56mm?

Yep even with a 9mm double tap is one sight picture shoot twice, controlled pair is sight picture shoot, sight picture shoot, sight picture… Just as fast and accurate!

FAG:eek::D:p

J.A.B.:

Quote:

"As for LE having a Sub gun that is FA, I am all for it. But I cannot see any reason why LE or Mil would need a FA rifle/ Carbine."

I disagree with you here, unless you are talking about individual officers, carrying FA weapons. If your talking about SWAT Teams, 90% of the major police SWAT teams disagree with you as well.

There has been a big movement from the MP-5 to the M-4 FA Carbine for many reasons. In looking at your profile, I don't see a background in LE, did I miss something? :D

J.A.B.:

Quote:

"As for LE having a Sub gun that is FA, I am all for it. But I cannot see any reason why LE or Mil would need a FA rifle/ Carbine."

I disagree with you here, unless you are talking about individual officers, carrying FA weapons. If your talking about SWAT Teams, 90% of the major police SWAT teams disagree with you as well.

There has been a big movement from the MP-5 to the M-4 FA Carbine for many reasons. In looking at your profile, I don't see a background in LE, did I miss something? :D

Maybe he served as the Chief of the Department. That might explain it eh ?:D

What was that being an extra on a Rambo movie?

Lead scout, jungle warfare. Don't knock something until you know it, it works if you have the skills, I'll teach you if you finish your dinner! :-x

Yep even with a 9mm double tap is one sight picture shoot twice, controlled pair is sight picture shoot, sight picture shoot, sight picture… Just as fast and accurate!

Double tap with a 5.56 is piss easy, 9mm well thats just a toy, again I'll teach you if you're a good boy! :D

FAG

You wish, lol :D

In looking at your profile, I don't see a background in LE, did I miss something? :D

OUCH!!! lol :D

My background in LE is primarily training, attending and putting on classes. I have worked with several SWAT LEO’s and yes they are moving from the MP5 for cretin positions on SWAT teams, however they are not moving away from it totally. The M4 is being moved to in some cases for penetration and distance. Being able to penetrate body armor and shoot down long hallways EST.

Most LEO’s that want a FA option want it for simple cool factor. I base that off of several conversations with SWAT and non SWAT LEO’s that have said yays and nays. Most have very little experience in FA and the ones who do, say they would not use it. The ones who obviously have zero experience with a FA AR15 platform are normally the ones who want it for cool factor…

Nope no police chief here, I attempt to keep my distance from the LE world ;)

I have to add, I don't advocate FA, I wrote what I did do dispell people's preconceived notions about FA.

We used to laugh at the Americans for not having FA due to the poor fire control displayed during the Vietnam war, fire control is about training and disipline.

FA should be a skill that is taught IMO, despite rarely ever needing to utilise it. :2c:

You know, you guys are soooooooooo right! I have no fucking clue what I am talking about; I guess Ill sit back and read your super awesome advice on the subject. From all you subject matter experts!!! :rolleyes::D:p

How much instruction/training have you had with FA fire?

J.A.B.;187028]My background in LE is primarily training, attending and putting on classes.

I see. I guess that means, since you are not or never have been a commissioned LEO, you have no LE background to draw from at all. :doh:

In my experience, civilians don't usually attend LE agencies classes. So, you must be talking about civilian classes put on by the various civilian firearms 'experts,' some of whom are ex-LEOs and/or Competitive shooters, etc. Some of these people are excellent and others just want you money. :rolleyes:

You say you put on classes for LEOs? What do you teach? What credentials do you have that qualifies you to teach what you teach? How long have you been teaching and how old are you?

Most 'competitive shooters' seem to have a VERY low opinion of LE firearms training and their shooting abilities. Sometimes it is justified; however, since you say you are a competitive shooter, it makes me wonder if you have that bias.

I have worked with several SWAT LEO’s and yes they are moving from the MP5 for cretin positions on SWAT teams, however they are not moving away from it totally. The M4 is being moved to in some cases for penetration and distance. Being able to penetrate body armor and shoot down long hallways EST.

Again, you say "several SWAT LEOs." Are they SWAT team members of a major SWAT team? Does their team have MP-5s? Do they have M-4 Carbines? How long have they been SWAT team members, what is their experience? What do they base their opinions on? I agree their is still a use for sub-guns, particularly the MP-5 because of it firing from a closed bolt, tends to lend to it's accuracy and also it's ease of use as a silenced weapon. I think its the best one on the market for that.

A number of the major SWAT teams get involved with dignitary protection and working with the Secret Service and State Department on visits of VIPs. The various compact MP-5 versions work well in this area. My snipers also worked with the Secret Service on most Presidential visits to my AO.

I also see the need for the change to the FA M-4 carbine. Most major LE SWAT teams are using the M-4 carbine or other types of domestic made FA Carbines. The penetration of body armor is an important factor, as well as range. Also to be taken into consideration is the fact, that most LEO's are ex-military and have been trained in the use of the M-16 series weapons, as well as in some cases used them in combat.

The cost of the weapon as well as availability of parts, etc. is also an important consideration. Have you compared LE prices between an MP-5 (Or for that matter any H&K weapons System) to the Colt M-4 or other domestic carbine types? M-16 30 or 15 rd. magazines jump out, as fairly easy to come up with compared to H&K or other weapons systems. The department's 'Bean Counters' are always joyfully, ready to cut items out of the budget you submit.

Most LEO’s that want a FA option want it for simple cool factor. I base that off of several conversations with SWAT and non SWAT LEO’s that have said yays and nays. Most have very little experience in FA and the ones who do, say they would not use it. The ones who obviously have zero experience with a FA AR15 platform are normally the ones who want it for cool factor…

There is of course some truth, to what you say about the coolness factor; however, in my experience, such 'coolness,' is usually prevalent in rookies, and/or very young inexperienced LEOs.

Make no mistake, I do not condone FA weapons of LEO's who are not in the SWAT team or other LE teams (There are others.) armed with Special Weapons. IMO, ordinary patrol and/or individual weapons do not need FA weapons. They do need SA carbines, however, in this day and age as well as the old 870 12 GA!

I do see the need for Special LE units to have Special weapons, to include FA weapons. One has to pretty naive in this day and age, to come to the conclusion, that LE agencies don't need such weapons. The LE agencies of the USA are just as involved in the GWOT as the military in their own way. Also, keep in mind the Drug cartels, 'Gang Bangers' form all over South America and Mexico, as well as Foreign and Domestic Terrorists. Most all of whom are armed with FA weapons like the AK-47 and it's various newer models.

Nope no police chief here, I attempt to keep my distance from the LE world ;)

Hmmm ... for someone that makes this statement, you seem to have a lot to say about the LE field, without any practical LE experience.

I'm not trying to bust your chops here nor get into a pissing contest, just trying to point out why some of your comments might tend to get a retired SWAT team commander who served 34 Years in LE a little upset.}:-) :2c:

You know, you guys are soooooooooo right! I have no fucking clue what I am talking about; I guess Ill sit back and read your super awesome advice on the subject. From all you subject matter experts!!!

Gee! And you didn't even read mine yet! :eek:

It seems to me that you seem to be adopting an unnecessary 'Attitude' here. Why not use your 'expertise' to counter such comments, instead of adopting such an PP attitude right off the get go! :2c:

Stay cool! :cool:

I have to add, I don't advocate FA, I wrote what I did do dispell people's preconceived notions about FA.

We used to laugh at the Americans for not having FA due to the poor fire control displayed during the Vietnam war, fire control is about training and disipline.

FA should be a skill that is taught IMO, despite rarely ever needing to utilise it. :2c:

Of course, I agree with what you say! That said, if FA weapons are not in the Team's inventory like JAB, suggests the training is useless, since they have nothing to use such training for. :doh::2c:

Back