Full auto carbines and law enforcement.

Of course, I agree with what you say! That said, if FA weapons are not in the Team's inventory like JAB, suggests the training is useless, since they have nothing to use such training for. :doh::2c:

Oh yes you are absolutely right, I was meaning if the Army decided to treat their Soldiers like adults again and give them some FA toys once again :)

Doing it now would be like training Marines to eat with knives and forks, it'd be nice to see but ultimately a useless exercise never put into practice! }:-)

How much instruction/training have you had with FA fire?

I baught a James Yeager video once:rolleyes::D Oh and I did watch Heart break ridge once!!!:p

But to be honest, more then I ever needed... Not ganna list them all, but off the top of my head...

2 LE sub gun courses.

P90 operators course.

Scout Indoc covered alot of Burst and FA.

Some German army dudes course (FA shooting burst's ) for something they called Automatic rifle training... <---Waste of time:2c:

6 months of training to become a small arms inst (did alot of FA training of all types)

Use to screw around on the range with it when I taught full time, shooting CQM on burst and wiring back a sear to make it FA.. I use to shoot anywhere from 500 to 1500 rounds a week when teaching.... So we tested alot of bullshit! Hip shooting is a thing of the past brother...

Oh and I have seen a little on TV

But to be honest, more then I ever needed... Not ganna list them all, but off the top of my head...

Cool

Hip shooting is a thing of the past brother...

I know but just cause it's old doesn't mean it doesn't work ;) But like I say I don't really advocate it but it worked well for me and many many others for many years :2c:

You're still a pussy! }:-)

I see. I guess that means, since you are not or never have been a commissioned LEO, you have no LE background to draw from at all.

Nope never been a LEO. However, if you feel that b/c I have not I have no imput. I guess we just should not discuss opinions. :rolleyes:

In my experience, civilians don't usually attend LE agencies classes. So, you must be talking about civilian classes put on by the various civilian firearms 'experts,' some of whom are ex-LEOs and/or Competitive shooters, etc. Some of these people are excellent and others just want you money.

I have over 1000 hours of LE course I have attended… Guess it must be different around here… They normally are happy to have a mil guy attend a class

You say you put on classes for LEOs? What do you teach? What credentials do you have that qualifies you to teach what you teach? How long have you been teaching and how old are you?

Taught pistol and rifle marksmanship, only spent about 4 years (off and on mostly weekend stuff) teaching it on a private bases… a lot of word of mouth and guys wanting to become better… I am 26 years old.

Most 'competitive shooters' seem to have a VERY low opinion of LE firearms training and their shooting abilities. Sometimes it is justified; however, since you say you are a competitive shooter, it makes me wonder if you have that bias.

Only when their ego gets in the way, or when they start throwing their LE experience around… I am a shooter, and I attempt to stay in my lane. I have never taught tactics to LE and I wont! I am very bias too anyone who doesn’t have an open mind to shooting and or dismisses someone’s knowledge b/c of age, race, background.

Again, you say "several SWAT LEOs." Are they SWAT team members of a major SWAT team? Does their team have MP-5s? Do they have M-4 Carbines? How long have they been SWAT team members, what is their experience? What do they base their opinions on? I agree their is still a use for sub-guns, particularly the MP-5 because of it firing from a closed bolt, tends to lend to it's accuracy and also it's ease of use as a silenced weapon. I think its the best one on the market for that.

Don’t know all of their background, but yes they are members of a large full time SWAT team, yes they use the MP5, P90, M4 and M14. Do not know what else they carry; I am not on their Team. I also know a lot of small town multi jurisdictional SWAT team members along with several members who have been involved in the counter drug program. Of course I also know and have taught the (SWAT basic certified) ass clown who wears a SWAT badge and thinks he is SWAT too. LE is very diverse in it’s people it attracts, much like the military!

A number of the major SWAT teams get involved with dignitary protection and working with the Secret Service and State Department on visits of VIPs. The various compact MP-5 versions work well in this area. My snipers also worked with the Secret Service on most Presidential visits to my AO.

I also see the need for the change to the FA M-4 carbine. Most major LE SWAT teams are using the M-4 carbine or other types of domestic made FA Carbines. The penetration of body armor is an important factor, as well as range. Also to be taken into consideration is the fact, that most LEO's are ex-military and have been trained in the use of the M-16 series weapons, as well as in some cases used them in combat.

The cost of the weapon as well as availability of parts, etc. is also an important consideration. Have you compared LE prices between an MP-5 (Or for that matter any H&K weapons System) to the Colt M-4 or other domestic carbine types? M-16 30 or 15 rd. magazines jump out, as fairly easy to come up with compared to H&K or other weapons systems. The department's 'Bean Counters' are always joyfully, ready to cut items out of the budget you submit.

I could not agree more with you on this, but I still do not see how FA M4 is practical for a SAWT team. When talking about the liabilities involved with the dynamic nature of a SWAT team, their abilities to go in half-cocked and spray some lead will result in charges being filed and multiple lawsuits. There is some good case law regarding this in Florida!

There is of course some truth, to what you say about the coolness factor; however, in my experience, such 'coolness,' is usually prevalent in rookies, and/or very young inexperienced LEOs.

Make no mistake, I do not condone FA weapons of LEO's who are not in the SWAT team or other LE teams (There are others.) armed with Special Weapons. IMO, ordinary patrol and/or individual weapons do not need FA weapons. They do need SA carbines, however, in this day and age as well as the old 870 12 GA!

I do see the need for Special LE units to have Special weapons, to include FA weapons. One has to pretty naive in this day and age, to come to the conclusion, that LE agencies don't need such weapons. The LE agencies of the USA are just as involved in the GWOT as the military in their own way. Also, keep in mind the Drug cartels, 'Gang Bangers' form all over South America and Mexico, as well as Foreign and Domestic Terrorists. Most all of whom are armed with FA weapons like the AK-47 and it's various newer models.

Are we talking about a city LEA SWAT team or a CD-TF Tactical team? I have also worked with the Tactical CD-TF teams, ADSW/AT/ ADT with state CD program&(JTF- North), helping train teams on military tactics and helo (air assault as they called it) ops and weapons familiarizations. I would agree that these team’s do need FA weapons in cretin operations...

I'm not trying to bust your chops here nor get into a pissing contest, just trying to point out why some of your comments might tend to get a retired SWAT team commander who served 34 Years in LE a little upset.}:-) :2c:

No worries, I simply have an opinion. Even if I don’t have 34 years experience as a SWAT commander. I did not mean to be disrespectful to the LE community by my post, I guess I could try to word it different next time. I hope you are enjoying the retirement! ;)

Gee! And you didn't even read mine yet! :eek:

It seems to me that you seem to be adopting an unnecessary 'Attitude' here. Why not use your 'expertise' to counter such comments, instead of adopting such an PP attitude right off the get go! :2c:

Stay cool! :cool:

No "attitude" I guess you missed the smiles:doh:

J.A.B.

We all have opinions! When I look at some 'somebodies' opinion on a subject, I like to be able to see what actual experience and/or expertise, the person bases such opinions on. Opinions are like belly buttons — Everyone has one! ;)

Here in Washington State LE classes which civilians can attend are held in the Community Colleges. No firearms training though. The State Training Commission does some training and organizes a lot of other LE training, to include Basic & Advanced SWAT certification. No civilians allowed in there classes either.

The LE Agencies here also put on training for themselves and others, in various subjects, to include firearms training. In a large Departments, there are many officers with expertise in CQC and other firearms skills that they have gained in the SEALs, Rangers, SF and other Special Operations units. Seldom do they do not tend to use outside civilian firearms schools and/or instructors. No civilian people are able to attend these classes either. Some individual officers, do pay for and take such civilian run firearms classes with mixed results

I see no use in 'Beating a dead horse' here (Wish they had that smilie.) So, I'll take some of my further questions to IMs. Yes, I'm talking about SWAT teams and LEO's no military at all. :D

WOW. I missed a lot!!!

LA should be the shining example of why LEO's should be trained in FA. Along with FA for street patrol, SWAT should be trained on advanced sniper tactics. Good LEA's know this and do train their members on quality shots vs. quantity.

By saying trained, I mean to say firing a session of FA at the range, on consecutive / concurrent range days. This show's the LEO the rise of recoil and how how to control the weapon. This is not saying he will start the cruiser and go looking for a firefight..

The example I'd use in LA would be sustained rate of fire on the BG while a sniper would be moving to a quality shot position. When the BG's go full auto, liability becomes a distant thought.

LA was the bad learning curve that forced a lot of LEA's to 'look inside' and not like what they saw.

DoD / IC's / Civilians:

As an IC on a contract with DoD, I am authorized to attend Law Enforcement courses and have on occasion, even tho 'classified' as a civilian. The term 'civilian' I relate to someone with no military background and no law enforcement background. This does not mean to me nor will it ever, that a shooter doesn't have a quality opinion and here's why:

Jerry Barnhardt (TST x2 - got the hat and the shirt and those who've attended know what it takes to win the hat) has not been in the military or in the LE field. I'd challenge anyone I know to outshoot him on a range or in a house. Does his opinion count? You bet it does!

http://www.jerrybarnhart.com/

I value all opinions.......:cool:...bring 'em!! ;)

By saying trained, I mean to say firing a session of FA at the range, on consecutive / concurrent range days. This show's the LEO the rise of recoil and how how to control the weapon.

How would you rate this:

[ame="http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/?action=view&current=WillFullauto.flv"]Video of Will FA - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting[/ame]

How would you rate this:

Great if done on a continual basis......most folks think that just point and shoot FA, and the gun will stay on target....

Anyone who's fired FA knows you have to settle in, lean forward a little more, and ride the recoil high right back on target.....

Those guys are obviously shooters. Hand someone the weapon who doesn't know what it's gonna do and see what happens, then hand it to an LEO who fired FA the day before!

One problem in financial. You're talking range days and bullets......

Big fat political police chiefs who never had a gun incident on the street are gonna laugh at the cost of 2 range days and 20,000 5.56....sucks to say.....feel bad for PD's with those types at the top!!

I'd rather spend my training $$ on quality shots, house take-downs...

Good shooting!! ;)

Great if done on a continual basis......most folks think that just point and shoot FA, and the gun will stay on target....

Because that's what happens in movies and TV...:rolleyes:

Anyone who's fired FA knows you have to settle in, lean forward a little more, and ride the recoil high right back on target.....

That last burst took me out of my center of gravity a tad, but I got it back on track. Wish I had more access to practice such things more often.

Good shooting!! ;)

Thanx. This group does not seem to have limits on how much lead they can throw cost wise, but I'm sure it could be/will be a factor if ammo costs keep going up and budgets keep going down. :mad:

OK, no more thread hijacking from me.

Although I do not agree with FA carbines or rifles, I do agree with sub-guns. Simply b/c of the controllability and need for mutable shots to be effective.

Training, training, training and more training is the key. RB you could not be more right, on the amount of practice it takes.

Some of the performance modifications out on the market can reduce muzzle rise and or recoil, this being a major plus. However, when shooting FA with a shoulder-fired rifle you will never be able to get rid of the rise “barrel drift” completely.

In perfect conditions, while building a good solid platform. You may be able to stay on target out to 25 yards (with all of the rounds fired) and this being with a lot of training. Start throwing in moving and or multiple targets, maybe some more distance. You will see rounds going everywhere! Not to bring up the AR15 platform safety selector switch, being tossed to FA vs. semi and throwing rapid fire just as fast.

Building it in to muscle memory with ton’s of ammo as RB posted and yeah you might be well trained. Now throw it together in a stress-induced environment, shoot – no shoot, picking up flash pictures and trying to put it all together. That’s a lot of work to be able to fire a 3 to 5 round burst vs. aimed rapid fire!

Yeah we have patrol rifles in the trunk. But they are not full auto. The average LE road warrior dosent get enough training with his service weapon let alone the budget for training with full auto weapons. Full auto is for the military and maybe some high speed anti terrorist SWAT or SRT teams. Just my :2c:.

On the other hand we did some full auto (very little) on the range at my last ARNG AT. And it was a fucken blast. I dont think I hit much but what a rush. :cool:

Yeah we have patrol rifles in the trunk. But they are not full auto. The average LE road warrior dosent get enough training with his service weapon let alone the budget for training with full auto weapons. Full auto is for the military and maybe some high speed anti terrorist SWAT or SRT teams. Just my :2c:.

On the other hand we did some full auto (very little) on the range at my last ARNG AT. And it was a fucken blast. I dont think I hit much but what a rush. :cool:

I couldn't agree with you more! :D

I am going to eat some crow and say I am wrong in my above statements. TW has made some very good points in pm's why FA could be a benefit in the LE (SWAT) world. Some info of threats I was not privy too nor was I aware of as a possibility.

So I was put in my place and respectfully with draw my above statements!

Back