Gardening

My wife would shit if I had a compost pile and I don’t need a lot year to year. Enter a pair of 5 gallon buckets from Lowes.

A compost bucket is like some moms out there: cheap, easy, you can hide them when company comes over, dump whatever you want in them, and they don’t smell bad. If you need to freshen them up, you roll ‘em around a bit, kick them a little. When you’re done, hose them off and start filling the holes again.

I bought this thing about 5 or 6 weeks ago and tucked it away behind the garage. Working well so far but will be annoying to turn when it's full. No smell so far but lots of insects which is good.

140L Dual Tumbling Composter
That is actually super cool. I'm going to have to show that one to my Dad for his garden. He had one that he had built, but Hurricane Laura saw to it that he didn't need it anymore.

That is actually super cool. I'm going to have to show that one to my Dad for his garden. He had one that he had built, but Hurricane Laura saw to it that he didn't need it anymore.

When I bought the place there was a compost pile which my parents removed before I moved in* (they were there a few months before me). The lemon tree they put on the old spot is going mental though. This compost should be ready by spring.

*Mum doesn't like the idea of them attracting rats and mice.

In all seriousness, another reason I went with buckets is cost and portability. I popped the handles off and now they flip and roll nicely.

Easy to make though. Pop off the handles with a pair of pliers. Drill a bunch of holes in the bottom, sides, and top. Fill with whatever. Done. Kick it around every few days and you're in business.

The former owners had one here and I understand why. We are on a septic system so no disposal in the sink.
So far I have resisted creating one but the comment about the lemon tree has me rethinking things. Not easy to get fruit to grow in the desert but some people make it work. We bought a lemon tree and it has fruit but I'm wondering if it will ripen properly or just toast.

In all seriousness, another reason I went with buckets is cost and portability. I popped the handles off and now they flip and roll nicely.

Easy to make though. Pop off the handles with a pair of pliers. Drill a bunch of holes in the bottom, sides, and top. Fill with whatever. Done. Kick it around every few days and you're in business.

This is the way. I've got 3 Rubbermaid bins working exactly that way.

Did composting at my place in NC. Definitely easy and worth it. Helped to get fresh worms from the store too.

Gardening is hit and miss in central Louisiana. The heat is a MFer, but we did get some heads of cabbage and some peppers.

Also got some figs growing this year. I think the renter will get the fruits of the labor for the lime and lemon tree.

The plant that’s done the best is the roses.

Weekly-ish update:

The cucumbers are fighting a mosaic virus. I've sprayed and everything. I think I'm fighting a losing battle, but we'll harvest what we can. That's life. The pickles I canned 10 days ago? Amazing. Fresh pickles trump all of that other bullshit.

Jalapenos are close, sweet red bell peppers are a week or two away.

We have about 4-5 zucchini. I need to trellis them or "RNG" them (gamer term).

I've lost 1 watermelon, have another with some marks I need to investigate, and a third that is on track to be a winner. Disappointingly, there are no other melons across two plants.

I've harvested about 30 grape tomatoes and 1 beefsteak with another 6-7 on the vine. Basil is a weed and I can't make enough pesto to compensate for its growth.

My daughter is moving back home in about Sep./ Oct. and she likes heat. I'm looking at planting some ghost/ habanero peppers in the next month.

The flowers are awesome.

One lesson learned: Those tomato cages at the big box stores aren't enough. Acquire some stakes and twine, and thank me later. In fact, just grab some bamboo stakes and twine, keep them on hand, they won't go to waste.

We are still getting asparagus popping up in 112F heat. It grows at the rate of kudzu. You can watch it. ONE stalk at a time, but hey...
Cherry tomatoes ripen a little slower and I'm ok with that cuz someone is allergic to them anyway.
Grapes are not really producing this year. Wah.
Basil is doing well but not huge.
Lemons really have not changed much.
Parsley is still too big and mint is an invasive weed.

Back