Heart Rates and Fitness

Sorry for the formatting; I've never attached photos on here before. I went on a light slow long distance run to try out the zone 2 outlined in the Ones Ready podcast. I did the talk test on mile 2, and felt I was in the Goldilocks area; not too fast not too slow.

My heartrate monitor shows I was in Zone 5 for >60% of my run when I definitely wasn't. Going forward, I'm not going to follow my heart rate monitor but base it off of feel. I do feel great after the run. Like Taylor said; all the great benefits without breaking yourself down.

Here’s my ZONE 2 Story:

I tried for months to run based on Heart Rate and it just doesn’t work for me. End state I get frustrated because to stay in ZONE 2, I must go so slow it hurts my body and I feel 120 years old on a good day.

Fast forward in time, after working with @Kaldak I have transitioned to a Pace based training program and I feel amazing.

The outcome is still the same, run in ZONE 2 as long as you can to build your endurance. What changed is the method of getting there. Instead of doing the talk test and using that as your guideline to stay under XXX for your HR, I have switched to keeping my ZONE 2 runs within X:XX and X:XX pace.

This is just something to try if you find yourself struggling to run slow.

Recap, ZONE 2 is definitely the way to go, there are just other methods out there to accomplishment this besides HR training.

8-):thumbsup:

So, I might have the vid this past week because my heart rate has been elevated like wild. Or I'm just exceptionally out of shape and need to grind. But that's one of the key indicators.

Back