• Other (explain)

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JBS

Leatherneck
Verified Military
What's everybody else use?

I use the slingshot method personally, and have done so for years. Started doing it because my gloves would get caught in the slide every rare once in a while.

I've heard many instructors say that the slingshot method is a horrible technique, since it can cause you to lose sight picture and sight alignment, but other instructors say the opposite. Using the High Church, you're also going to block your sight picture too.

What is the consensus on this- if there is one?

Slingshot method

1zvbddt.jpg

High Church
2mq283r.jpg

I use high church(?), if for no other reason habit and how I was trained.

I use left hand thumb to rear and the hand is closer to the slide than in your photo. One aspect, is I can cock the pistol closer to my body. The other method, the arm has to be extended away, limiting the options, such as in a confined space, prone position, ?? ??

Also I tend to push with the pistol holding hand and pull with the off hand.

Then I tend to shot one handed too, it is my preferred method..

High Church.

My pistola is only about 10" from my chest when I reload. The primary hand is pushing the pistol out while the offhand/alternate/secondary/other :D hand is basically grasping and releasing the slide.

ETA: Best? Not sure if it is "best" but works the best for the way I shoot.

Chad

I use high church. However, I had to learn the hard way to keep the palm of my hand away from the pistol - I have a nice little "U" shaped scar on my left palm that is curved exactly like the end of the ejection port on an M9 :D

Chad said:
I do not hold it like that.

My thumb runs along my finger, almost like you are making a fist.
1pgq5w.jpg

Like this, right?

car said:
I use high church. However, I had to learn the hard way to keep the palm of my hand away from the pistol - I have a nice little "U" shaped scar on my left palm that is curved exactly like the end of the ejection port on an M9 :D
Beretta Bite- ouch. That's another reason some prefer the Slingshot method.

1pgq5w.jpg

Like this, right?

Beretta Bite- ouch. That's another reason some prefer the Slingshot method.

Yes.

The biggest difference(from the photo) is that I angle the pistol inboard and muzzle upward.

The only issue I remember w/ the Beretta is the sights are 'sharp' as I remember them? I do not remember getting pinched because the offhand and slide are going in opposite directions.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNjcubxfQA"]YouTube - Blackhawk Tips with Todd Jarrett: Tactical Reloads[/ame]

Like this dude, just 10X slower.

I always got taught to use the slingshot, apparently you are more likely to ride the working parts forward with the church (didn't know it was called that) I thought it was BS then and know its BS now but it's just the way it was hammered into my brain cell so now I do it every time. Doesn't seem to slow me down.

Sling shot..but best to keep a round in the tube. Just got to remember the count prior to mag exchange.

Damn I must be on the short bus. Between the pyros, scanning & identifying, maintaining awareness of my buddies and worrying about whats behind the sofa/closet door I tend to lose count and just deal with it as they happen.

Shit I lose count of my paces patrolling and have to rely on one of those Ranger pace counters.

You are right ,you would not ..clarification in order.. I keep one in the tube and do a tactical reload. Was taught both methods, prefer slingshot though if the need arose.

Damn I must be on the short bus. Between the pyros, scanning & identifying, maintaining awareness of my buddies and worrying about whats behind the sofa/closet door I tend to lose count and just deal with it as they happen.

Shit I lose count of my paces patrolling and have to rely on one of those Ranger pace counters.

Fuck, dood, us yanks can do all that shit and deliver pizzas on the weekend.:D

I sort of do the high church (I guess a bit modified like stated above), but after the initial load I usually just push the slide release.

I voted other b/c I use and teach both. It’s really shooter dependent, strength levels, body structure, disabilities and coordination. On the M9 I will teach a sling shot method, due to the ejection port can be blocked by the shooters hand and b/c the decock/ safety can be accidentally engaged. As for speed or time differences, it’s going to boil down to practice. Regardless of the technique used, the shooter will be come faster over time and practice.:2c:

Back