House speaker vote

Maybe it is in this thread and I’m just missing it, but I keep reading about him “negotiating”.

What do they mean by that? Is he literally buying votes? I don’t understand.
Basically the holdouts have certain demands he hasn't agreed to.

For example, the ability to let a single majority party (i.e. GOP) member start the removal process against the speaker.
He negotiated down to 5 members, but that wasn't enough last I saw.

Other things included guarantees to impeach Biden for Hunter's laptop and other stuff I'm not as well read up on.

A bit too busy this week to have had a chance to dive into it.

ETA: That's stuff I saw as of 3ish days ago. May have changed by now

Basically the holdouts have certain demands he hasn't agreed to.

For example, the ability to let a single majority party (i.e. GOP) member start the removal process against the speaker.
He negotiated down to 5 members, but that wasn't enough last I saw.

Other things included guarantees to impeach Biden for Hunter's laptop and other stuff I'm not as well read up on.

A bit too busy this week to have had a chance to dive into it.
They should 100% impeach President Biden. That should be agenda item... well, if not #1, it should be near the top.

There are members who are not present today, so the math changes for the needed number to hit majority. It is the majority of members present. FWIW per the talking heads.

11 votes with no solution. Even if #12 is the charm he looks weak as hell. How do you keep trotting this guy out and how do you not look like a bunch of imbeciles?
Maybe it is in this thread and I’m just missing it, but I keep reading about him “negotiating”.

What do they mean by that? Is he literally buying votes? I don’t understand.

Weakening the speaker's power is the goal. By negotiating, they mean in order to gain their vote he must agree to certain things he wouldn't previously agree to.

ETA posted this prior to reading @Cookie_ post.

Last edited:
There are members who are not present today, so the math changes for the needed number to hit majority. It is the majority of members present. FWIW per the talking heads.
This is correct for the process.

It's why (depending on the party of which members are out) it could be possible for the minority leader (Jeffries) to wind up winning the speakership.

If all Dems are present and 8 or 9 Republicans are out it could happen.

Honest question: what do you think President Biden should be impeached for?

I think he should be removed from office in a straight jacket and placed in a maximum security lunatic asylum. But that's just me. These days you really don't need a reason to impeach anybody. You can just make shit up, impeach the guy, and worry about the details later.

Honest question: what do you think President Biden should be impeached for?
Well, I think we saw in the last administration that you don't really need a good reason to impeach a president you don't like, you just need the numbers.

But since you asked, a solid reason is the ongoing enterprise that is the Biden crime family.

Well, I think we saw in the last administration that you don't really need a good reason to impeach a president you don't like, you just need the numbers.

But since you asked, a solid reason is the ongoing enterprise that is the Biden crime family.
I appreciate the response. Hate that a bad precedent was set with the last admin, but at this point I’m not sure what the better path would be.

I’d never heard of the guy until a few days ago, know nothing about him, and care even less. If your peers, after 13 votes, still don’t view you as a leader then that speaks volumes. The GOP, by not stepping in and telling this guy to stop, speaks volumes. It is embarrassing to me as a Republican and an American to watch this play out.

I’ll bet a dollar he knew going into the first vote that he didn’t have enough votes. Another dollar says the party knew this and still he went out there.

Where is the party leadership or have we become some pro-Trump, anti-Trump divided house incapable of leadership within our own party? If we can’t lead our party and unite as one, we can’t tell the American people we’re worthy to lead them.

I’d never heard of the guy until a few days ago, know nothing about him, and care even less. If your peers, after 13 votes, still don’t view you as a leader then that speaks volumes. The GOP, by not stepping in and telling this guy to stop, speaks volumes. It is embarrassing to me as a Republican and an American to watch this play out.

I’ll bet a dollar he knew going into the first vote that he didn’t have enough votes. Another dollar says the party knew this and still he went out there.

Where is the party leadership or have we become some pro-Trump, anti-Trump divided house incapable of leadership within our own party? If we can’t lead our party and unite as one, we can’t tell the American people we’re worthy to lead them.
The crazy thing is Trump came out supporting this guy for speaker a few days ago, and Matt Gaetz called The worst Human Resources decision President Trump has ever made.

The GOP members holding up this vote are some of Trump's most ardent supporters, but they aren't following his lead.

The inmates are running the asylum now.

The crazy thing is Trump came out supporting this guy for speaker a few days ago, and Matt Gaetz called The worst Human Resources decision President Trump has ever made.

The GOP members holding up this vote are some of Trump's most ardent supporters, but they aren't following his lead.

Where I see Republican congressmen/ women thinking for themselves and fighting for what they believe, and negotiating to get it.

Where I see Republican congressmen/ women thinking for themselves and fighting for what they believe, and negotiating to get it.

Also a valid way to view this.

I will say, this is another example of what seems to only happen within the GOP; members willing to be the asshole that plays hardball with their own party.

It's nor really something you see with the left flank of the Dems, because they all wanna play nice with party leadership.

As an example, the progressive dems threatened a year or so back to hold up Pelosi's vote in the same way unless she agreed to hold a floor vote on Medicare for all. The intent was to force Dems to put their money where their mouth was on supporting that idea.
Pelosi managed to talk them down because it "wouldn't pass in the Senate" and they gave up without a fight.

I do admire that those that are willing to play rough with their leadership on the other side of the aisle.

Eh, the Congress Nancy ran helped ruin our country, did you look at the Omnibus bill monstrosity? Gaetz is annoying for sure and I hope he resigns so Desantis can appoint someone competent. But he has brought to light a bunch of stupid shit the Ds have done at times.

Back