How Not to Lead

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
Sex with subordinate, inappropriate relationships cost fired warfare center commander two stars

married two-star Air Force general, banging multiple married subordinates, it finally catches up to him:

The two-star general who was fired from command of the Air Force Warfare Center in 2019 has retired as a colonel after an investigation found he had a sexual relationship with a female subordinate.

Maj. Gen. Peter Gersten also engaged in inappropriate personal relationships with two other women over a decade, the inspector general investigation found.

Sex with subordinate, inappropriate relationships cost fired warfare center commander two stars

married two-star Air Force general, banging multiple married subordinates, it finally catches up to him:

My Wing-man's ex replaced me as the S-1 of our old Cav Squadron. I probably have a post on here somewhere about it. Anyway, he was at career course and then Ranger School. There was a bunch of nights that Summer we were supposed to have Dinner, a few times with my partner that just cancelled on me or didn't show. She was screwing a SFC in the same Cav Squadron on the nights she cancelled hanging out with "her friends".

At the time she was married and that dude was married. Her office (my old one) was adjacent the SCO. Talking to people in my old unit at the time, everyone knew they were together.

Adultery is an almost never enforced article in the UCMJ and she could have been an easy roast. I never got the whole story until he graduated Ranger School, chick tried to divorce him in Absentia!

Anyways, he's doing well now, on his second full command, he commanded our old troop for 45 days as a 1LTP. So maybe that's his third command. Married to a lovely civilian with a baby on the way.

In his retirement, does he still get the high three of 1 and 2 star rank? For retirement pay that is, or is it like he never held those ranks and pay?

Surprised they didn't let him retire with a star. Navy officers with more stars have done worse and were allowed to keep their rank with a guilty plea.
So the way it works, I think, is that you get busted back to the last rank you held honorably. So if there's no dirt on him from his O6 years, that's what he gets to keep.

Oh no, the horror of having to retire as an O6 🙄

Can the articles like this stop acting like that's any form of "strong" punishment?
That's one of the things I'm having problems with personally. The guy is getting busted backwards to a rank I will never be able to achieve, doing some really shitty things I never would have done.

That's one of the things I'm having problems with personally. The guy is getting busted backwards to a rank I will never be able to achieve, doing some really shitty things I never would have done.
Not saying it's right, or wrong just repeating what my resident JAG tells me.
Court martial for a 2-star is hard, because you have to get 6- 8, 3 or 4 stars to sit on a panel for however long it takes. You also have to find (if possible) 3 and 4 stars who haven't worked with him, or supervised him, in this case non-fighter commands (AFSOC, AMC, AFMC) would take the brunt of jury selection. That can have a negative impact on operations.
The Art 15 also saves him from a felony conviction, but I suspect his post-military career won't be awesome.
His pay drops from 195,996 to 151,656 that's an instantaneous drop of 44,340 if he stays on AD (not happening). This translates (2021 pay scale) into a retirement check going from 146,997 to 113,742 or an annual loss of 33,255 annually (more if ya figure ex-wife payments), and I suspect this is viewed as ample punishment. I have no sympathy for him losing that much money, and as a GO he's probably fired someone for dipping their wick into the company inkwell. Ironic, huh?
He ruined two marriages (note he didn't marry the one woman who divorced her husband).
Had she maintained a professional attitude this would never have been reported. The Sr Capt/Jr Major he was sleeping with can probably kiss her career goodby (self inflicted).

Not saying it's right, or wrong just repeating what my resident JAG tells me.
Court martial for a 2-star is hard, because you have to get 6- 8, 3 or 4 stars to sit on a panel for however long it takes. You also have to find (if possible) 3 and 4 stars who haven't worked with him, or supervised him, in this case non-fighter commands (AFSOC, AMC, AFMC) would take the brunt of jury selection. That can have a negative impact on operations.
The Art 15 also saves him from a felony conviction, but I suspect his post-military career won't be awesome.
His pay drops from 195,996 to 151,656 that's an instantaneous drop of 44,340 if he stays on AD (not happening). This translates (2021 pay scale) into a retirement check going from 146,997 to 113,742 or an annual loss of 33,255 annually (more if ya figure ex-wife payments), and I suspect this is viewed as ample punishment. I have no sympathy for him losing that much money, and as a GO he's probably fired someone for dipping their wick into the company inkwell. Ironic, huh?
He ruined two marriages (note he didn't marry the one woman who divorced her husband).
Had she maintained a professional attitude this would never have been reported. The Sr Capt/Jr Major he was sleeping with can probably kiss her career goodby (self inflicted).
I appreciate the breakdown a lot. I hope he works at home depot after this.

Maybe we need to reevaluate our court martial process if "it's too inconvenient to get a jury once you get to that rank" is a reason we see so few high ranking service members get off with making more in retirement pay than most make in their careers.

I have no sympathy that the retirement decrease is an E4's yearly pay, when he's still pulling over 100k in retirement.

Maybe we need to reevaluate our court martial process if "it's too inconvenient to get a jury once you get to that rank" is a reason we see so few high ranking service members get off with making more in retirement pay than most make in their careers.

I have no sympathy that the retirement decrease is an E4's yearly pay, when he's still pulling over 100k in retirement.
There are like twice as many FOGOs today than the great WWII. So, it's not inconvenient, they're just lazy.

Back