HUMINT Scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake_doc

SOF Support
Here is a question that I had in one of my classes. I figured I would post it here to see how people think about this situation.

Develop a plan to submit to your supervisor for approval based on the following scenario. You have been trying for some time to gain information on the location and movements of a wanted international crime figure. You have found out that a US news bureau has arranged a secret interview with the crime figure. An advance news crew consisting of a news director (female), cameraman, and two research assistants (one female and one male), will be in your city for the next week preparing for the interview. You work for the government, but do not want to reveal that fact to the news crew. With time short, develop a deceptive plan to approach this news crew with the intent of finding the location of the interview, either before, or as it is happening. In your plan include such items as: which news crew member will you approach, what is your cover identity, what will be your approach to make first contact, what will you do to ensure additional contact with the crew member can be made which will lead you to obtaining the information desired?
Keep it simple and do not read into theproblem.

Here is a question that I had in one of my classes. I figured I would post it here to see how people think about this situation.

Develop a plan to submit to your supervisor for approval based on the following scenario. You have been trying for some time to gain information on the location and movements of a wanted international crime figure. You have found out that a US news bureau has arranged a secret interview with the crime figure. An advance news crew consisting of a news director (female), cameraman, and two research assistants (one female and one male), will be in your city for the next week preparing for the interview. You work for the government, but do not want to reveal that fact to the news crew. With time short, develop a deceptive plan to approach this news crew with the intent of finding the location of the interview, either before, or as it is happening. In your plan include such items as: which news crew member will you approach, what is your cover identity, what will be your approach to make first contact, what will you do to ensure additional contact with the crew member can be made which will lead you to obtaining the information desired?

Simple. All you need is a set of boobs for that mission...or any similar mission. My wife's a master.
(Pardon my humor, but I couldn't resist)

I'm guessing you would go after the male intern or the male cameraman? If so, which one? In what setting? What would be requested and how?

You realize that approaching a journalist covertly in this manner, in an attempt to integrate them into your operation, would probably be a violation of the law.

There are exceptions, one being the issuance of a waiver by no less than the POTUS, or revealing who you are and receiving voluntary cooperation from the journalists in question.

Don't contact. Surveillance only. Wait for the 'Talent' to come in country. That is the key. No contact what so ever. This would require a multi layer plan. A complicated operation, but doable if you can pull in the assets.

You realize that approaching a journalist covertly in this manner, in an attempt to integrate them into your operation, would probably be a violation of the law.

There are exceptions, one being the issuance of a waiver by no less than the POTUS, or revealing who you are and receiving voluntary cooperation from the journalists in question.

Yeah, but it feels good to break a rule every now and then.

It's just a good way to keep the brain going. This came from my HUMINT course I'm taking through a university where the instructor was prior sf (way back) and cia o/o. Good food for thought quesiton. No right answer and to the best of my knowledge, if you approach the cameraman or the interns and not the reporter, you are not using the "news media" as a collection asset and therefore do not require a waiver.

Cash.

I'm not kidding. Big cash. Give them enough money and they'll tell you anything you want to know. First, if this is a local news crew, they are probably underpaid and resent their employer who's been fucking around with their contracts and/or overtime. If they are a national news crew, they get paid enough, but they've blown it and owe a lot. Second, Edward R. Murrow is dead. And so are ethics in broadcast news.

You have been trying for some time to gain information on the location and movements of a wanted international crime figure. You have found out that a US news bureau has arranged a secret interview with the crime figure.

For sake of propriety my answer is; I wouldn't. I would forward to the appropriate Agency with the correct jurisdiction and mission.

Fair enough....unless you are the one responsible for collecting such information.

Than I'd "probably" be a LEO or FISS and since I'm neither I wouldn't be qualified to comment.

Imma jus' spekulatin' do....:)

Don't contact. Surveillance only. Wait for the 'Talent' to come in country. That is the key. No contact what so ever. This would require a multi layer plan. A complicated operation, but doable if you can pull in the assets.
Agree. :2c:

I think, and I could be wrong, cback was questioning whether or not this was an appropriate discussion to have publicly.

I know I don't feel comfortable answering. :2c:

Why is this even being discussed?

I think, and I could be wrong, cback was questioning whether or not this was an appropriate discussion to have publicly.

I know I don't feel comfortable answering. :2c:

I agree with both posts.
Why make it easier for hadji/BGs in general to know any of this?
Are they telling you the methods they use to infiltrate?
Just because it's available does not mean it should be shared.

In WWII - the phrase was "loose lips sink ships".
:2c:

Also, you don't know where the news crews sympathies lie. Maybe they're secretly in cahoots with the bad guys, figure out what you're trying to do, and lead you into a trap.

Journalists and the media can be useful sometimes, whether as an information source or as a disseminator of info, maybe agreeing to plant something for you within the context of an article.

But trying to involve them in one of your operations, whether legitmately or not, is only asking for trouble.

Roger all. Understand the concerns, info was taken right out a public college course. In addition, materials are out there such as in the book "Running a ring of spies" and "Spy Handler", the later by a former KGB officer.

If a moderator can close this thread, that would be good.

I don't think it's such a big deal, everything being discussed is the stuff of considered thought, nothing opsec and certainly nothing that hasn't been revealed in books, movies, tv shows and court cases.

Everyone here knows the limits of opsec, I say we let the thread run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back