I guess I can be thankful

Cyberchp

Special Forces
Verified SOF
...I never had to strap on a nuke :-o

The fastest, most effective, most surreptitious way to target enemy infrastructure would be to parachute bomb-toting Special Forces soldiers to their objectives. But there was a catch. In his autobiography, Sergeant Major Joe Garner described his work with the project. There was a heavy rucksack attached to him when he test jumped from a military helicopter. The landing was rough, but he walked away from it. It was proof-positive that the plan would work, but it wasn’t until much later that he learned what GREENLIGHT was. “It was a man-carried nuclear device. That’s when the realization hit me. I was probably the first soldier to free-fall strapped to an atomic bomb.”

Read the full text here: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/133848#ixzz20zufNAEh

--brought to you by mental_floss!

Berlin Brigade ODA?

Yah, further in the article it mentions it. I don't know if this is a mission I'd volunteer for. :thumbsdown:

In addition to destroying infrastructure, carefully placed atomic blasts would make enemy forces “bottleneck,” where they could be destroyed with other nuclear weapons. Three hundred backpack nukes were made. They were called Special Atomic Demolition Munitions, and most were assigned to 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) in Germany. In a worst-case scenario, their job was to strap on one-kiloton nuclear weapons and parachute behind the Iron Curtain. They would commit nuclear suicide in an apocalyptic war to stop the Soviets from conquering Europe.
Thankfully, of course, the weapons were never used.
--brought to you by mental_floss!

I served on GreenLight Detachments in both the 10th and 5th. I don't recall anyone asking me or the ODA to "volunteer" for the Greenlight mission. This mission was just one of the capabilities of the 2 ODAs that I was assigned to. The part I didn't like about the mission was maintaining eyes on the device until detonation.

Back