i was not qualified for tacp.. help i'm I SOL ?

alex cuevas

Unverified
I got a phone call from my recruiter and he says I did not qualified for tacp because my asvab as a little low and my citizenship. Iv been a citizen for about six months my recruiter says that that was a problem. this was horrible news so now I'm going to get a job for aviation. I'm I out of luck or can I cross train into tacp ? and how can I redo my asvab when I'm in the air force and any input on my citizenship thing do I have to wait ?

Then you be the best damned airmen you can be. It'll come when it comes. Just be a good airmen. That's it. Look. I am not TACP but alot of us, most at some time were dealt a fucking shitty hand, maybe many of them. It's how you deal with that, that make or breaks you. Trust me. I know personally, as do many about me here. Just ruck up, move out and do good. Serving your country matters. Thanks for wanting to step up.

F.M.

you can retake the asvab, if you really want to become a tacp don't take no for a answer! As far as the citizenship goes sounds weird to me, unless it has to do with security clearance issuses which could be the case since they have gotten really tight with it. However if for some reason you go to another job you can cross train into tacp when you cross-training window opens, so make sure your a shit hot airman that will blow away the interviewer. Just my .02 cents

you can retake the asvab, if you really want to become a tacp don't take no for a answer! As far as the citizenship goes sounds weird to me, unless it has to do with security clearance issuses which could be the case since they have gotten really tight with it. However if for some reason you go to another job you can cross train into tacp when you cross-training window opens, so make sure your a shit hot airman that will blow away the interviewer. Just my .02 cents

There are restrictions when it comes to retaking the ASVAB, it depends on what your original score was.

I got a phone call from my recruiter and he says I did not qualified for tacp because my asvab as a little low and my citizenship. Iv been a citizen for about six months my recruiter says that that was a problem. this was horrible news so now I'm going to get a job for aviation. I'm I out of luck or can I cross train into tacp ? and how can I redo my asvab when I'm in the air force and any input on my citizenship thing do I have to wait ?

Have you considered going for Forward Observer in the Army or Marines?

Then you be the best damned airmen you can be. It'll come when it comes. Just be a good airmen. That's it. Look. I am not TACP but alot of us, most at some time were dealt a fucking shitty hand, maybe many of them. It's how you deal with that, that make or breaks you. Trust me. I know personally, as do many about me here. Just ruck up, move out and do good. Serving your country matters. Thanks for wanting to step up.

F.M.
ya I was vary disappointed but as you said ill will take no for an answer im going in with an open mind and when time comes I will cross train ! thanks for the reply and words!!

ya he told me it was about the security clearance , he told me I can possibly do it down the road , I don't want to sound like a girl but i was hart broking .. i just pray i can be able to do it down the road.

There are restrictions when it comes to retaking the ASVAB, it depends on what your original score was.

Have you considered going for Forward Observer in the Army or Marines?
well my scores were not that grate only electrical I surpassed , and I have but something about the air force and proving to people that the air force has some bad mother f#$%&$ that keeps be motivated to do it .. I guess I have to wait longer ......

well my scores were not that grate only electrical I surpassed , and I have but something about the air force and proving to people that the air force has some bad mother f#$%&$ that keeps be motivated to do it .. I guess I have to wait longer ......

I'm assuming that English is a second language for you, but do your best to spell check and apply grammar when posting. It will serve you well in your future military endeavors. Being able to write professionally is a big part of attaining success in the military these days.

There was a dude I went through the Schoolhouse with that spent 5 years re-taking the ASVAB and studying before he passed and finally was able to go TACP. So it can be done. As goon175 already stated, you need to work on your attention to detail. Should you become a TACP, you will be expected to be capable of briefing Army commanders from the Company through Division level. This means composing PowerPoints, and no maneuver commander is going to trust you to control multiple air assets if you can't even get basic grammar correct.

There was a dude I went through the Schoolhouse with that spent 5 years re-taking the ASVAB and studying before he passed and finally was able to go TACP. So it can be done. As goon175 already stated, you need to work on your attention to detail. Should you become a TACP, you will be expected to be capable of briefing Army commanders from the Company through Division level. This means composing PowerPoints, and no maneuver commander is going to trust you to control multiple air assets if you can't even get basic grammar correct.
im just glad that the door is not shut it's just closed temporary, I will work on my detail ,thank you

Find a job you like, and be the best.

Apply when your cross-training window opens.

What jobs are they offering?
what is the time frame to cross train and how can I retake my asvab when im in ?
he hasn't offered me a job yet but something in electrical or mechanical for sure.

Check out Specialtactics.com, that site has everything you need.

If you don't mind me asking what's your first language?

Had a buddy I knew who also, like yourself, wasn't a citizen when he joined the Air Force (Philippines I believe). He just had to come into a shittier job and sucked it up, then waited till his three year mark (6year contract) then was eligible to cross train. He had his sights set on TACP, but as some will know that’s easier to be said than done. He ended up getting Special Mission Aviation and loves it. There is hope just do your time and don't get in trouble while doing it.

Alex, I'm not you, I'm not in your shoes, and so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, but I would enlist with a good AFSC, be the best in that field, and work on your language abilities. The Air Force Operations fields 1xxxxx are almost always undermanned and almost every field is open to a first-term airman for cross training. I don't think TACP's were ever closed to cross training in the history of the AF. The AF is also down-sizing so available jobs will ebb and flow.

You seem like your heart's in the right place, but your head needs to catch up. I am NOT saying you're stupid or dumb, but TACP is a career field where your communication skills are very important. My logic is that if your written and spoken English needs some work and your ASVAB scores are a bit low, you will benefit from a few years in uniform before crosstraining. Go in, work on your 5 level, work towards your CCAF (this may make sense later but not now), and retake the ASVAB later.

Your only other option is to work on your own and hope to improve enough to enlist with a TACP slot. I'm just a contractor but I see the premium the AF places on education, so opportunities to improve abound in that branch. Also, a few years in uniform allows any citizenship/ clearance issues to work over time. You're young and time is on your side.

Your life, your call, but I think a short-term "disappointment" sets you up for long-term success. Be the best in your AFSC, work on PT, improve your language skills, stay out of trouble*, and crosstrain. That careerfield will be there in 2-3 years.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

* - The easiest ways to hose yourself are drinking, debt, and just being a dumb kid in uniform. Don't fall into those traps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. I echo freefalling and CDG's remarks. The Air Force is HIGHLY competitive, especially when you approach the E-6 and above level. Clear and concise communication is a must. Enter into an AFSC that appeals to you, keep your nose clean and do the best job whether its fixing fiber optics or handing towels out at the base gym. If you really want it, your time will come. Best Regards and good luck!!

Last edited:
Had a buddy I knew who also, like yourself, wasn't a citizen when he joined the Air Force (Philippines I believe). He just had to come into a shittier job and sucked it up, then waited till his three year mark (6year contract) then was eligible to cross train. He had his sights set on TACP, but as some will know that’s easier to be said than done. He ended up getting Special Mission Aviation and loves it. There is hope just do your time and don't get in trouble while doing it.
ya i'm going to wait then cross train . thanks for the advise!

Alex, I'm not you, I'm not in your shoes, and so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, but I would enlist with a good AFSC, be the best in that field, and work on your language abilities. The Air Force Operations fields 1xxxxx are almost always undermanned and almost every field is open to a first-term airman for cross training. I don't think TACP's were ever closed to cross training in the history of the AF. The AF is also down-sizing so available jobs will ebb and flow.

You seem like your heart's in the right place, but your head needs to catch up. I am NOT saying you're stupid or dumb, but TACP is a career field where your communication skills are very important. My logic is that if your written and spoken English needs some work and your ASVAB scores are a bit low, you will benefit from a few years in uniform before crosstraining. Go in, work on your 5 level, work towards your CCAF (this may make sense later but not now), and retake the ASVAB later.

Your only other option is to work on your own and hope to improve enough to enlist with a TACP slot. I'm just a contractor but I see the premium the AF places on education, so opportunities to improve abound in that branch. Also, a few years in uniform allows any citizenship/ clearance issues to work over time. You're young and time is on your side.

Your life, your call, but I think a short-term "disappointment" sets you up for long-term success. Be the best in your AFSC, work on PT, improve your language skills, stay out of trouble*, and crosstrain. That careerfield will be there in 2-3 years.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

* - The easiest ways to hose yourself are drinking, debt, and just being a dumb kid in uniform. Don't fall into those traps.
ya i want to be in tacp , i will definitely work on my weaknesses ! thank you for the response all of the advise is vary helpful thank you !!

Welcome. I echo freefalling and CDG's remarks. The Air Force is HIGHLY competitive, especially when you approach the E-6 and above level. Clear and concise communication is a must. Enter into an AFSC that appeal to you, keep you nose clean and do the best job whether its fixing fiber optics or handing towels out at the base gym. If you really want it, your time will come. Best Regards and good luck!!
thank you vary much ! look forward for that day i step into the schoolhouse! just going to take longer than i wanted.

Back