Introductions

Good afternoon gentlemen,

My name is Jay, I'm 22 years old and I live in Corpus Christi Texas where I'm currently studying philosophy with a minor in military science. I enlisted when I was 17 as a 11B (Infantryman) but had to get out when I was 20 due to a torn meniscus that I didn't want to get fixed while I was in as I was told it would likely disqualify me from SF. All I've wanted to be from the time I was 15 or so was a green beret, the ones I've had the privilege of knowing have been some of the finest men I've ever known. I'm a year and a half from commissioning through my university's ROTC program and then I plan on working towards becoming an 18A. I look forward to sharing this experience with all of you and using this resource as a support tool in reaching that goal.

Hey boys, Sean here. I'm a 24 year old male. Currently pursuing REP-63. I'm out in NJ but moving over to Cali to join the guard there and pursue schooling. My main focus in joining this group is to be mentored in physical/mental fitness. I want to be at my peak of endurance so I may be the best possible candidate before joining. I'm a little out of req in terms of fitness, so any workout programs that I can do before SFQT would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Hello, all.

I am a current Reservist coming up on the end of an eight year contract, training up to move forward with going active duty, and Special Forces in the long run. I plan to be pretty active on here for the next eight months or so, as I ETS out of the Reserve, and plan on having a new enlistment contract by the middle of June. I have plenty of questions and thank everyone ahead of time for their responses.

Good morning everyone. I was considering 37F for a long time, however my ultimate goal has always been SF, so I feel I should just work hard and pursue an 18x or Rep63. I am a 25 year old male currently working in sales. I am considering a temporary job change as my current schedule doesn’t leave me a ton of time for the gym and meal prep. I have been working with a friend who is in sports medicine at the local university. He is great, however he is mainly strength/powerlifting oriented. I feel I should be working on more endurance based activities. I’m not in a hurry, but at the same time as soon as I am ready physically, I have my house in order. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Hello all,

I am a 24-year-old pursuing a Rep63 contract. I am a current grad student and am using the time I have before a graduate to get into the best shape I can mentally and physically in preparation. I am looking at attending an SFRE this summer and untile then just learning and training. I am looking forward to making more progress and learning from everyone here.

Hello gents,

Glad to be here. I’m 26, currently a sales manager at an awesome company and thoroughly love my job with endless opportunities for growth, but I know I’m not where I want to be. I’ve always wanted to enlist, and I feel this is the time to pull the trigger.

I have medical waivers so I can’t get an 18x contract, so I plan on enlisting as 11x and hoping to pickup 18x in OSUT. My backup plan if I can’t get 18x is to be the best 11x I can be and wait for another opportunity. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared as hell, but you’re always afraid of what you don’t know.

Why SF? I truly believe in the mission. I truly care about people who need help around the world. I truly want to have the opportunity to work with the best men in the world. And I truly want the opportunity to make a difference.

I have a long long long way to go, and am really appreciative of all the information on here. Thanks guys.

Hello everyone,

I am 27 years old
I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from UNCC
My father was in the Air Force until I was 20
I enlisted in March where I was sent to basic training in Fort Benning to be apart of the 22 Week OSUT pilot program
I’m also apart of the new 6 week SFPC
Im hoping to find a mentor here

Thanks for reading my post,
Tyler

Arf,

Since you mentioned age and wanting combat and medical (SOCM) training, this recent policy change as of this week, as it looks, might interest you. You won’t get the cultural/language training, but it’s a much quicker pipeline and gets you in the fight 68W Opt 40. Just another option that just opened as before prior service were barred from Opt 40.8AFEC1B8-DACB-4B2B-8522-50758D39F890.jpeg8AFEC1B8-DACB-4B2B-8522-50758D39F890.jpeg

SOTM still gets you NREMT-P qualified and an ATP card which is what you’d get after SOCM, though SOCM and SFMS is definitely more in-depth from what I’ve been told.

Have you been to either? Last I checked within the last year, that statement about SOTM and ATP was flat out false. Also, I’m quite curious how a 3 month course with no EMS rotations that I’m aware of can bestow NRP certs, considering you need hours/procedures to even challenge the exam.

I have not. My information is coming from a command briefing and people I know personally who have done both and very recently within the last 6 months. With regards to ATP and paramedic that was the case. I know a guy who went when it started up and came back with no certifications at all. Things have changed. The course is now 6 months with rotations.

PURPOSETrain and certify Special Operator (SO) and Special Warfare Boat Operator (SB) personnel to the nationally recognized Paramedic standard able to independently deliver emergency casualty paramedic level care in all operational environments and attain National Registry Paramedic (NRP) certification.
PURPOSEThe NSW SOTM Sustainment course shall accommodate all requirements for the Recertification in BLS, ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, TCCC, ATP, and NRP.

Last edited:
Have you been to either? Last I checked within the last year, that statement about SOTM and ATP was flat out false. Also, I’m quite curious how a 3 month course with no EMS rotations that I’m aware of can bestow NRP certs, considering you need hours/procedures to even challenge the exam.

The course is changing for the better constantly because it is so new. There are SOCMs teaching the program, so they know what to strive for.

Currently the course is 8 months and they do get NREMT-Paramedic.
They are trying to get ATP for the next graduating class. Whether or not they succeeded is not confirmed.

Thank you @Duke for this info. I thought about this for awhile, especially because they are the ones seeing Combat right now, but I think I’m going to go 18-D because of the ability to transition to PA or MD.

My chief told me yesterday that he may be able to convince our command to send me to SOCM now.

I’m just hoping they let NSW back into CENTCOM so we get some combat action while in SWCC.

Last edited:
I have not. My information is coming from a command briefing and people I know personally who have done both and very recently within the last 6 months. With regards to ATP and paramedic that was the case. I know a guy who went when it started up and came back with no certifications at all. Things have changed. The course is now 6 months with rotations.

PURPOSETrain and certify Special Operator (SO) and Special Warfare Boat Operator (SB) personnel to the nationally recognized Paramedic standard able to independently deliver emergency casualty paramedic level care in all operational environments and attain National Registry Paramedic (NRP) certification.
PURPOSEThe NSW SOTM Sustainment course shall accommodate all requirements for the Recertification in BLS, ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, TCCC, ATP, and NRP.

Good to hear they’re making improvements. A lot of dudes I know in NSW when I asked a year ago were saying they wouldn’t get anything from SOTM so they had to fight tooth and nail for a SOCM slot. It’s good they’re making some improvement there.

The course is changing for the better constantly because it is so new. There are SOCMs teaching the program, so they know what to strive for.

Currently the course is 8 months and they do get NREMT-Paramedic.
They are trying to get ATP for the next graduating class. Whether or not they succeeded is not confirmed.

Thank you @Duke for this info. I thought about this for awhile, especially because they are the ones seeing Combat right now, but I think I’m going to go 18-D because of the ability to transition to PA or MD.

My chief told me yesterday that he may be able to convince our command to send me to SOCM now.

I’m just hoping they let NSW back into CENTCOM so we get some combat action while in SWCC.

If they send you to SOCM that would be awesome for you. Sounds like SOTM has made some significant improvements in the last year, but I’d still take a SOCM slot over that any day if I was given the chance.

Also good to hear that you have a goal in mind of 18D if the NSW route for medicine doesn’t work out. If you need anything give me a holler. I will say, much the same PA/SOM pipeline is in place for Ranger medics as well as SF. I’m glad I chose SF, don’t get me wrong, but it’s a long pipeline after you already went through a long pipeline and if combat is what you want, and soon, Regiment is a very respectable option. Best of luck.

Hey guys, currently a 30 year old 11b in the ARNG and looking to make the switch into 19th group this year.

Arf,

Since you mentioned age and wanting combat and medical (SOCM) training, this recent policy change as of this week, as it looks, might interest you. You won’t get the cultural/language training, but it’s a much quicker pipeline and gets you in the fight 68W Opt 40. Just another option that just opened as before prior service were barred from Opt 40.View attachment 30653View attachment 30653

What are the age limits for this? I’m starting to consider this again because mostly because the idea of being reserve makes me uneasy and I feel like Rangers have the highest chance of seeing Combat than anyone else in the entire military.

The idea of having to work a civilian job is making me nauseous.

Not sure man. I’d contact the 75th RR Recruiting Team at 75recruit@socom.mil or 706-545-5124. From my understanding they’re pretty proactive, and Regiment is always hungry for medics.

Howdy, I am a 19 y/o male who has been interested in the special forces forever. I am currently planning on talking to a recruiter about an 18X contract after I get into shape and am ready to get it done. I am kind of a quiet person around people I don't know, but once I am playing a sport or in a competition I really don't like to lose and I get pretty into it. I want to serve in the SOF because I want to be the best there is at whatever I do, and the military has been a path that has always appealed to me. I also want to protect this nation, my family and the freedoms we enjoy here. I welcome any input and any mentoring that anyone is willing to offer me.

Greetings Gentlemen,

I'm David, a 28 year old Signal Officer, currently stationed at Ft Gordon. I just pinned 1LT last month and was interested in joining this community which values the skills and lifestyles that are the least dependent on the comforts of today. Ive also noticed that i work better in smaller groups so i think the unit dynamic is a better fit for me overall. I know i still have a bit until i can send up my packet, but i still need to further develop myself to be ready for assessment. If anyone here can provide some mentorship to me, i would greatly appreciate it and promise to pass it on to the next generation.

How is it going guys;
I am Tyriq and I am a 11A that currently works for Cadet Command 7th BDE as an Assistant Military Professor (AMPS) in Ohio. I am a pre-command Captain and this current job is a Broadening assignment. My previous assignments were at Colorado Springs; Fort Carson -1SBCT, where I was an XO for HHC BDE with a deployment to AFG, PL with 1-38 INF and PL with E-TRP 2/1 CAV.

I am going to SFAS in March of next year so I am here for mentoring. I have been training for about six months now but it has mostly been cardio and strength/conditioning based. Started rucking more heavily within the last month and I have been conducting land navigation refreshers but nothing physical as yet since I am out of town for leave.

One of the reasons I am attempting SFAS is because it is something that I always wanted to do and becoming a Green Beret is something that I have dreamed about since I started High School. However those goals and dreams are more structured since growing up and being a GB, to me now, is about being at your mental and physical peak at all times while being a representation of one of the most elite units with the US Army. This is something I want to be a part of.

I realized that there are members within this group that are considering the same path and if I am able to help in any way with commissioning, being an Infantry officer, the paperwork and glide path to my current position I am here to help.

Back