Introductions

Hello Team,

I am currently an 11A reaching the end of my PL time here at the 82ND ABN DIV. I was lucky to catch a deployment to AFG as uplift serving alongside 1st, 7th, and 19th GRP. Amazing professionals that I aspire to serve alongside one day.

Currently, my YG has not opened for Selection; however, I am beginning my preparations. I am an 11A with all the standard schooling who is also fluent in Mandarin. I am here to seek more guidance from those who are current/former SF guys as I make progress towards the end goal.

Thank you for your time.

Hello,

I am hoping to secure an 18x contract as a period service in the CAARNG. It is pretty much a hurry-up-and-wait situation for me at this point until I begin the paperwork. Not much to do but work, train, and improving my student mindset. I've been out of college for a while, after all.
I'm not a mountain guy, but I would like to be one. I have been learning about how the US parks and forests work so that may find spots to try my hands on orienteering and survival skills. Now, it's just waiting for the wildfire to subside so that the forest in my region may reopen again.

Glad to be here.

Hello all,

I am a prior service Army 91F going for re enlistment as 18X. I have had some pitfalls but finally getting it together and chasing my dream. I grew up next to FT. Lewis so I had a lot of family friends in 1st Group and 2/75 so I was influenced early on. I had gotten myself ready on active duty then had some issues and a motorcycle accident and let myself go. I have to give this another shot or I will regret it forever. I’m here for the advice and guidance as well as accountability along my journey.

I am currently training with 5x5 strong lifts and endurance/ rucking and working on my 5 mile time. I trained like this on my deployment and saw pretty good results. That was also 8 years ago. Any input is greatly appreciated. I also am only about 1.5 months into this program.
I would say keep your ruck around 55 pounds max and do multiple short-distanced rucks a week (4-6 Miles) at an extreme pace

I would say keep your ruck around 55 pounds max and do multiple short-distanced rucks a week (4-6 Miles) at an extreme pace
Thank you for the input! This would work perfect with my schedule and set me up for the longer rucks on weekends.

Also, I know most advice is to refrain from running with a ruck, but I have never had any issues doing ruck runs ect. And most I know that have made it down the road train that way also. What is your input on that?

What's up everyone,

In 2014 I was not selected for the Sniper section because I could not group my shots tight enough, I had only graduated from OSUT about 3 months prior to that selection attempt. From 2014-2016 I tried to go to Ranger school but was denied because mechanized Infantry doesn't need Ranger Tabs they need Master Gunners. In 2017 I got my chance at Ranger School and caved in like a little bitch when the real pain started to set in. Once I realized I was making a mistake it was already too late and the RI's told me to pack my shit and try again another time. Been trying to get back ever since. In 2018 I volunteered to be a CH-47 door gunner for an upcoming deployment and in the process of flight physicals I failed 10 EKG's and I was flagged. Turns out I had a hole in my heart. Long story short I had no progression for two years in Hawai'i. Early 2020 I tried to drop a selection packet, turns out I was not cleared for training because my heart was still raising some eyebrows. Mid-2020 I get cleared for training then a month later I tear my labrum training for EIB. Got my EIB anyways but now I need surgery for the tear. Once this tear is repaired, healed and I'm RTD I'll be dropping a selection packet the same day. Until then I'll be doing what I can and hitting Physical Therapy hard af post-surgery.

I found the ShadowSpear Community in search of a mentor because I want to be the upmost prepared for anything physically and mentally thrown at me. I waited a long time to drop a packet because I didn't want to show up unqualified or cherry and get turned away. For the most part that is true but as I've learned about myself these past 6-7 years I discovered I didn't have the right frame of mind or physically prepared for what selection and beyond demands until late last year. I'm going to continue to train harder and continue to get better and I hope one of the SOF guys takes me under their wing and point me in the right direction.

-Coffee

Hey fellas,

I'm 29 with 5 years prior service as a Recon Marine. Got out back in 2015 with the plans to move over to the Navy and try the SEAL route, unfortunately the recruiters jerked me around for a year to basically tell me that they didn't want me since I had prior service. It didn't really cross my mind back then to explore other SOF options, I guess I kind of just assumed I'd get the same response from everyone so I moved onto other things. Fast-forward to early 2020 and some of my buddies I served with at 1st Recon who'd gone over to MARSOC told me about their recent deployment and it got my wheels spinning about wanting to get back in the dirt.

Called up the nearest Army recruiter who turned out to be a prior service guy that reentered himself. He was able to get me an 18X contract within a couple weeks (this was actually very impressive to me, I'm not sure if that's a normal pace...but damn). Tentative ship date is Jan 2021 so I'm spending my time getting back into running shape. Never had a problem with running during my prior service, but after the Navy shot me down I basically quit running for the last 4 years. It's coming back to me pretty easily. The only difference is that my body gets much more sore than it did when I was a young buck. Other than that I'll start rucking a bit once I hit the 2 month out mark. Trying to avoid over training before I start the journey and I'm pretty confident I can get where I need to be during OSUT & SOPC. I completed Airborne during my time in Recon and based off of a separate post I made It doesn't sound like I'll have to redo that one.

Hoping that this "pandemic" doesn't make everything drag ass once I ship out, but other than that I'm excited about getting started for my second go around. If anyone started their journey during the last 6 months I'd love to hear how things are moving along if you wanna shoot me a message.

unfortunately the recruiters jerked me around for a year to basically tell me that they didn't want me since I had prior service
I’ve been meaning to ask this for some time. Why do “prior service” guys have such a seemingly difficult time working with recruiters?

My best guess, prior service does not offer the recruiters as many points towards monthly mission as some kid out of high school?

I’ve been meaning to ask this for some time. Why do “prior service” guys have such a seemingly difficult time working with recruiters?

My best guess, prior service does not offer the recruiters as many points towards monthly mission as some kid out of high school?

My theory is that prior service member already understand the ins and out of recruiting (because they’ve probably been screwed over once upon a time haha “fool me once, shame on you...” ) so they walk in knowing exactly what they want and aren’t willing to be budged or “tricked” as opposed to a high school grad. So recruiters would rather deal with the more compliant non-service members.

I wonder the same thing. It seems, for me personally, that they went out of their way to make me jump through hoops just so they could turn me down. They had me run PT/Swim test events, go back through MEPS, the whole 9 just to tell me my prior service disqualified me. That sounds like something they should've known right off the bat.

I could see a point system being in play where recruits that have previous TIS are less valuable depending on where the particular branch has it's retirement rate vs. where they want it to be. I say that because the recruiter also told me that the Navy's retirement rate was somewhere around 20-25% (can't remember exactly since it was so long ago) but whatever the percentage was, it was too high. That's pure speculation though

Hello, I am an Active Duty 2LT 11A. I am currently the executive officer of an IBOLC company while I wait to recover from injuries. I have orders for 10th MTN, 3rd BCT in Ft. Polk.

Prior to joining the Army, I double majored in Computer Engineering and Applied Mathematics with a minor in Physics. I played D1 Rugby before getting a really bad concussion and switched to MMA.

I'm no PT stud and if there is one thing that IBOLC has taught me, it's that I'm incredibly injury prone compared to my peers. I am currently recovering from a severe stress injury in my hips and other issues with my knees and bones. I am currently running 3-5 miles every day, but I can only manage an 11 minute pace. When I was in cycle, I did manage to pass the first 5 mile in 39 minutes, I failed the second one with a 41:36 due to stress injuries and was then told to stop running. I have just started running distances over 1 mile again 2 weeks ago.

Going the Special Forces route has been a long time dream of mine and I hope that I am cut out for it. Realistically, although I will have quite a bit of time before I am eligible to apply for SFAS, I know that I will have a lot more that I can bring to an ODA if I get more PL time and that all starts with getting tabbed.

Hello, I am an Active Duty 2LT 11A. I am currently the executive officer of an IBOLC company while I wait to recover from injuries. I have orders for 10th MTN, 3rd BCT in Ft. Polk.

Prior to joining the Army, I double majored in Computer Engineering and Applied Mathematics with a minor in Physics. I played D1 Rugby before getting a really bad concussion and switched to MMA.

I'm no PT stud and if there is one thing that IBOLC has taught me, it's that I'm incredibly injury prone compared to my peers. I am currently recovering from a severe stress injury in my hips and other issues with my knees and bones. I am currently running 3-5 miles every day, but I can only manage an 11 minute pace. When I was in cycle, I did manage to pass the first 5 mile in 39 minutes, I failed the second one with a 41:36 due to stress injuries and was then told to stop running. I have just started running distances over 1 mile again 2 weeks ago.

Going the Special Forces route has been a long time dream of mine and I hope that I am cut out for it. Realistically, although I will have quite a bit of time before I am eligible to apply for SFAS, I know that I will have a lot more that I can bring to an ODA if I get more PL time and that all starts with getting tabbed.

Find the boots you want to do selection in, take them to a podiatrist, tell him about the injuries you are prone to, and have him make custom insoles for you. Make sure you are not in pain when you are running. If you are, take more time to rest. There is no point in doing more damage now while you train to get to the pipeline. Once you are knee deep in the pipeline, that is the time to push through injuries. Now is the time to train smart and get strong with lots of rest.

Hey Guys,

I’m an 18x-ray headed to OSUT in January. I’m grateful and excited for this opportunity and this community. I’ve already connected with a guy that I’ll be going to Benning with and I hope to learn as much as I can from everyone here.

If you’d like to connect, I’d love to talk directly via message about SF, life, education, or anything else.

Former Marine shooting for NG SF now that I've wrapped up school and have a career that will accommodate it.

What’s up guys, I’m a Prior Service Marine now Inf. Team Leader with the 82nd. I have turned in a SFAS packet with a start date hopefully this upcoming January class. My homie and I are attending an out brief for the class next week as we are currently in the field this week.

Last APFT score: 269 that was around October, I’m working on my push ups and run time a lot more as I was used to doing pull ups.

For rucks my Team and I conduct one for 4-6 miles every Thursday as it’s a Division must but for a few months we have been busy or coming back from courses to where I’m doing my own rucks on the weekends.

For mental prep I’m taking my time in the Corps., MARSOC A&S, and Army time as a way to reminisce yet work off of for a meaningful time at Selection.

Lastly, a huge thank you to the Green Tagged mentors for taking the time to mentor hopefuls like myself wanting to go above and beyond in service.

Hey guys. Im just a dude in his mid twenties chasing a dream. I’m very fortunate my wife and family support me in this somewhat selfish pursuit of mine. I can’t wait to get started. I’m headed to Ft Benning in January, and it couldnt come any faster. On the flip side, I’m trying to enjoy the remaining time I have with my family and cherish every moment as the coming months/years will not be easy.

I walked in to a recruiters office just before Thanksgiving and a couple days later I had my 18x reserved. I came prepared with any documents they could have needed and I didn’t need any waivers for anything, so that first day moved super quickly. I headed to MEPS after Thanksgiving weekend, signed my contract, and swore in. It was truly surreal how long I’ve been thinking about doing this and how quickly it came together.

I come from a sports background, but I’ve never been a big endurance guy. Quite the opposite actually. I played football, baseball (summer league), tennis, and threw shot put and discus in high school. I transitioned to bodybuilding and powerlifting in college. Gained a ton of weight, and recently lost a ton. It was a humbling experience to lose so much strength and muscle mass, but it had exponential effects on my run times. I’ve been really trying to nail running, but I still have much room for improvement. I’m squared away on calisthenics and any physical events. I’m also actually a pretty good swimmer too, despite being very negative in the water. Just gotta keep chipping away at that run. I’ve heard OSUT and SFPC do a pretty good job of helping guys drop run times, so I’m hoping my progression on run times will maintain a linear slope downwards.

At the end of the day I just want to be a good dude, and contribute to the best of my ability wherever I end up. That means that if by the end of next year I find myself as a cook, then I’m going to be really good cook. With that being said, I’m going to work my butt off to achieve my goal. Sometimes that’s easier said than done, but to me intentions are equally as important as actions. Thanks for adding me to the group.

-Swanky

Evening,

I am a 24 year old Firefighter/EMT on the East Coast. To keep it short, I have decided I need more out of my life. I want to feel fulfilled in helping people and more recently I have decided I want to fight for those who cannot help themselves. Before I came to the second realization, I thought Firefighting would satisfy my passions, but it hasn't unfortunately. I got a tiny bit excited a couple of months ago and made the leap into the Navy DEP, but recently I have come to be more attracted to SF. I have already had a short conversation with Arf about this but more information is always appreciated.

I understand most of your SOF are doing the same mission sets in one form or another, just with different emphasis and specialties. I'll be honest and say I really only chose the Navy as a path originally because my Father was in, and the SEALs seemed like a good option to commit to that would be busy. But when I introspect and try to honestly ask myself "Why the Navy, why be a SEAL?", I don't have a solid answer. I have a few buddies in different spots in the Navy. Obviously the one who made the Teams said it's the best decision he's made and it's all worth it. Love that guy to death he is a childhood friend of mine but I know that's the answer everyone who loves their job give. I just really do not have a need or hankering to operate in or around the water. I do love the water as much as anyone else but I think you can gather that I'm a little indifferent to making it a large part of my life. Without that connection I feel as if I'd be doing myself and the Teams a disservice were I to actually make it there.

The SF mission set and specialties really intrigue and excite me. As I said I do have a passion for helping people and it seems as if Green Berets mix the best of humanitarian values and fighting evil in the world. As Arf told me, and as I have heard from others, if I were to go the Guard SF route I could be as busy or slow as I want. Even just crossing into Active should I feel the desire. The options for furthering your career you get once said and done are also attractive and diverse.

I know this website is not for handholding and such, but due to the "Special" nature of this path, I could use some opinions or affirmations to help with the extremely difficult decision. I can't imagine it's anything less than natural to be conflicted about such a life altering decision. Since I am older (not by much I know) than the average gentleman leaping almost blindly into a selection course, I feel as if I have the opportunity to think out an informed decision. So, please Inform me.

Today I actually dropped from Navy DEP so the plan was to do my due diligence in research. Active SF is currently at the top of my list. If you have any questions you might have please do not hesitate to ask I will answer to the best of my ability. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DR

@DR4423 -

Welcome and best of success to you. Just as a piece of general information, if you are seeking any specific advice, be sure to begin a new thread.

We use these intro threads for welcomes and introductions only.

Evening Everyone,

I'm a 22 year old college grad, and am doing my best to nail down an 18x contract - plan to sign in the next two months, and ship within 3 months. SF's focus on FID/UW is what originally attracted me to the 18x program, at least from an academic/mission set perspective. I also view it as a great opportunity to be amongst the most physically fit and mentally sharp individuals. Having grown up abroad, and been lucky enough to travel a great deal of the world, the prospect of adventure is also at the forefront of my mind.

I've been training hard for a few months now. Unfortunately I overtrained with ruck running , which - when paired with a heavy weekly running mileage - left me with severe shin splints. In line with the experiences of many people in this forum, I made things worse by training through the pain. As a result, I've been off of running for the past month, with frequent physio visits. Starting this week, I will be easing myself into running/rucking again, and hope to be back at my previous numbers in 2 months.

Before I stopped, my stats were:
35:42 min 5 mile run
13 min 2 mile run
2:42hr 12 mile ruck at 50 pounds

I am currently sitting at 70 correct form push ups , 75 Sit ups, and 19 dead hang wide grip pull ups. I'm hoping to bring this up to 80, 80, 25 (respectively) by the time I ship out. I was recently doing a strength/free weight cycle, and am now cycling onto a more crossfit style of working out (18A fitness, for those interested).

To prepare myself for the doctrine side of the shop, I've read the ranger handbook/LeFavor's SUT Handbook several times over. I've also scanned other relevant FMs, such as Rifle Platoon and Squad.

For more practical - hands on - knowledge, I've learned as many knots/lashings as possible. I am also becoming more acquainted with the AR-15, and taking shooting lessons so I can excel in the marksmanship components of OSUT.

Though I've read parts of the Land Navigation FM, I would consider this my greatest weakness as I haven't had much real world practice. However, I will be getting out with some mentors in the coming months to improve.

On a side note, I have dual citizenship (UK/US), and was hoping someone on this forum would be able to provide info on whether I would have to relinquish my UK citizenship. While not optimal, I would be more than happy to give it up for a shot at SF.

This was a long post, and apologies if it should have been split into more manageable pieces for other parts of this subgroup. For those who have read to the end, thank you, and feel free to reach out at any point.
-Slampky

Back