Introductions

Evening,

I think I’ve covered my introductions pretty extensively in the forum intro page and the “new guys” thread. As far as this post my BLUF is as follows: mission planning for career in SF. I have not talked with a recruiter but I’ve done a fair amount of research. When I joined the army I picked an MOS at random. It just happened to become what I love doing more than anything else jobwise. I truly lucked out, had divine intervention, whatever you want to call it. I can not afford to assume the same will be for my SF MOS. I would like to give myself the best possible path towards my goal.

I have been blessed with mentors to help guide my career at every stage. I still turn to them for help. But the best intel comes from those who supplied it, not those who have heard about it. This is where I need a mentor from SF. Sometime I do fall into the trap of glorifying things and need a gut check to reality. Very often I over analyze situations and try way to hard to get the perfect answers. I need someone knows what to worry about and when to worry. I get the 25m tgt analogy. I do not care about SFAS or Q Course G2. I just want some help creating my own “commander’s intent” so to speak. A general direction or goal (that might change at any time) and help with how to achieve it.

Thank you and I appreciate your insight,

Respectfully,
Taylor

Hey Gents,

My name is Dylan, I'm 27 years old and I'm from the Pacific Northwest. I'm about two weeks out from finishing up a six year enlistment with the Air Force. Without being completely redundant with my initial introductory post on SS, basically I'm looking to get into 19th Group in WA. I was thrown into a career field that I had little desire to be in so I've spent the last six years of my career weighing my options for possible SOF units to join and I decided that Special Forces would likely be the best fit for me. I have had nothing but great experiences while supporting ODAs and my honest assessment is that the core mission of SF is one of, if not the most, important and successful mission sets in the GWOT. We can't leave troops in Afghanistan or Iraq or wherever forever so we need to be teaching and equipping these dudes to fight their own battles *steps off soap box*.

Anyway, aside from truly believing in the mission and values of Special Forces, I think I would be a good fit for the Regiment because I respect other cultures and people in general. I like instructing and have some decent experience with it. And of course, I want to do exciting sh*t!

I'm open to any kind of mentorship, and criticism and i would appreciate anything you all can help me with.

-HD

Hey Gents,

My name is Dylan, I'm 27 years old and I'm from the Pacific Northwest. I'm about two weeks out from finishing up a six year enlistment with the Air Force. Without being completely redundant with my initial

Hey Man,

Did you ever look into any of the AFSOC careers?

Personally, I am being sort of torn between going in for AF Pararescue and Special Forces -- not relevant but curious to know, if you're looking to enter into EMS (read your intro post), did you consider Pararescue? Are you looking to get out of the Air Force? Do you just think the SF mission is more interesting than Pararescue? Are you looking into 18D (SF Medic)? I'd be curious to know as someone who's been in the Air Force for 6 years.

-DA

Hey Man,

Did you ever look into any of the AFSOC careers?

Personally, I am being sort of torn between going in for AF Pararescue and Special Forces -- not relevant but curious to know, if you're looking to enter into EMS (read your intro post), did you consider Pararescue? Are you looking to get out of the Air Force? Do you just think the SF mission is more interesting than Pararescue? Are you looking into 18D (SF Medic)? I'd be curious to know as someone who's been in the Air Force for 6 years.

-DA

Yep, I've got a lot of friends in Special Tactics, mostly controllers and SOWTs but also a few TACPs. For a while I wanted to to CCT but only for JTAC, then I tossed around the idea of doing TACP but then heard an ODA team Sergeant say that an 11B is more useful than a TACP because of how 1 dimensional the TACPs are (his words not mine). I don't have anything bad to say about any SOF unit.

I'm actually doing EMT school for firefighting, I don't have much desire to do EMS. I've never really been interested in PJ for some reason. And I've got some experience as a weapons instructor and love it so I'd like to be an 18B, or 18C.

I can't answer whether I think SF or PJ is more exciting, I think one of the main differences between 18D and PJ is that PJs are more rescue oriented and 18Ds kind of do it all.

Again, just my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth. I'm not an expert nor do I claim to know everything.

Please introduce yourself here. While this group does not currently have a group leader it will be used for the future leader to provide mentoring assistance. If you are a Verified SOF member who has been vetted as SF, please contact a staff member to have this group transferred to you.

I see this post is a bit old but I want to jump right in to introduce myself.
I'm a former combat linguist with U.S. Army Special Forces, 3rd, 7th and 20th Groups throughout Afghanistan. I have participated in high-risk operations during OEF. I have not attended any military school or formal training. I speak almost 8 languages. I'm interested in joining the National Guard Special Forces through REP-63. I have been living in the US for the past 5 years.

Howdy folks,
My name is William and I am a college student in GA. After college I am going to do a mission year then enter the army on an 18X contract. Still not sure if I should go NG or AD, but I have time to figure that out. Right now I am working at hitting some solid fitness goals and reading to build a better mindset. I would love to hear advice about strengthening my joints and good books to read.

Hello everyone,
I'm 18 and currently working as a commercial fisherman, looking to get an 18x contract once I meet the age requirements. I have a two year college degree, and I'm nearly fluent in French. I'm interested in the Army Special Forces specifically because one of my old mentors worked for the State Department and spoke very highly of the Special Forces members that he worked with. I'm looking for any advice I can get, whether thats reading, mental conditioning, physical training, or something else.

Thank you,

Hello all name is James. I was in 05 to 10 got med boarded for BS. Currently have lost all the weight I need to get in and getting ready for SFRE/SFAS I’m in VA but will be attempting to join 20th in MD. Need to smoke a PT test and hopefully show I’ve healed myself and I’m ready to go! I have disability through VA but have heard I can waive the pay from either that or the NG when doing drill. Need to still work out the logistics if I pass SFAS with work and getting paid and all. I won’t take no for an answer and I know I’ll need a recruiter to do more paperwork for a waiver but don’t care I’ll be re joining (hopefully) at 32/33 so I’ll be an old man lol

Good afternoon,
I work for the Department of Justice and greatly enjoy my job. However, I have always seeked a higher sense of purpose and brotherhood that was more than likely instilled from my father who served in the Navy for 30 years. Army SF is held in such a high personal regard that I know I would deeply regret not giving my best shot at becoming a Green Beret. I'm currently following the instruction and methodology laid out in Get Selected! and can't put it down. In addition I'm reading the Ranger Handbook, Extreme Ownership, and am working on expanding my reading list from both Get Selected! and this forum. The steps I am currently working on towards my goal of attending SFAS through the REP63 program are: physical health, nutrition, mental toughness, and land-navigation skills. I look forward to mentorship from this forum and am grateful that such a resource exists.

Very respectfully,
Helios

Hi guys,
My name is Jake, I'm 25 and trying to get into the Army. I have a few medical issues that the CMO at MEPs doesn't want to make a decision on. By what my recruiter says I should finally be able to get the waiver and enlist. I've set my sights on SF and wont settle for anything less. Unfortunately I can't get an 18X on my contract so my plan is to get my foot in the door with either 11X or 19D, then sign up at the end of osut. Thank you for allowing me into the community.

Jake

Hello I am 25 working professional with an associates degree, non prior service. I have sworn in and have a contract to be an 18x recruit. I am currently getting gear and books for rucking, land nav, and mental prep, I have a lot to practice. This forum has helped me find good starting points for conditioning my mind and body for OSUT and selection. So a big thanks to all the vetted guys contributing to the forums.

Afternoon gents, My name is Tyler I turn 22 July 31st. My grandfather was a Vietnam SEAL so I’ve been highly influenced by the SOF community growing up from 12/13 years old Up to now. My life’s road like many others, has been rough and has caused delay after delay stopping me from enlisting with a 18x contract several times since 19years old but I know I want to be part of SF so I’ll press on until it happens. My current goal is a REP63 contract with 19th Group out of Colorado (I’m in SWFL and working on moving to SoCal currently). I would also like to say I look forward to gaining as much knowledge from you mentors and my fellow peers as possible and If anyone has any questions my inbox is there for it. Mahalo🤙🏻

Afternoon gents, My name is Tyler I turn 22 July 31st. My grandfather was a Vietnam SEAL so I’ve been highly influenced by the SOF community growing up from 12/13 years old Up to now. My life’s road like many others, has been rough and has caused delay after delay stopping me from enlisting with a 18x contract several times since 19years old but I know I want to be part of SF so I’ll press on until it happens. My current goal is a REP63 contract with 19th Group out of Colorado (I’m in SWFL and working on moving to SoCal currently). I would also like to say I look forward to gaining as much knowledge from you mentors and my fellow peers as possible and If anyone has any questions my inbox is there for it. Mahalo🤙🏻
If you'll be in California, 19th Group also has a company there. FYSA

If you'll be in California, 19th Group also has a company there. FYSA

Im aware, I just really like the state of Colorado when I went out there and it’s a little cheaper than Cali so I figured it would make a better choice. But thank you for the heads up!

Morning,

Im a recent college graduate, 25, fluent in Spanish, know a little tiny bit of Russia worn in corporate American but never found a sense of purpose that I belonged to something bigger that could enable others to grow and free their basic inalienable rights.

Like many others I seek a higher sense of purpose and brotherhood that was instilled by my father and grandfather growing up around them. My father was SF but in another country, doing training exercises in the US Army School of the America’s with other SF groups all around the world. To me Army SF is held in such a high regard in my family that any shot that I could have to do anything I can in my power to achieve said goal would mean everything to me. I follow lots of SOF community members, have read David Goggins’ book Cant Hurt me, Jocko’s Extreme Ownership as well as follow his podcast.
My current challenge as of now is deciding which Branch either Navy for Seals or Army, I realize that I may have to do 2 years prior to trying out for any SOF assessment for either since I am not a citizen (assuming I get citizenship after basic) . Would love if someone could help me weighing my options since I believe the cutoff age is 27 for SEALs and I would have to serve 2 years I would be topped out. Or would it be better to go Army SF since the age cap is higher?

I am currently working on my functional fitness, I swam in high school and onwards so I’ve always had a strong swimming base not so much for running. Working on swimming to drop at least 15 more pounds while stretching twice a day for increased flexibility. Working on strength exercises and pull ups and the standard push pull exercises.

I am happy that there’s a community that allows others to reach out to vetted mil guys, you guys are doing an awesome thing. So thank you for the help. Any criticism, comments and help from any mentor would be helpful as I will always keep an open mind and willing to work with whomever is kind enough to provide the support.

Spaniard

Morning,

Im a recent college graduate, 25, fluent in Spanish, know a little tiny bit of Russia worn in corporate American but never found a sense of purpose that I belonged to something bigger that could enable others to grow and free their basic inalienable rights.

Like many others I seek a higher sense of purpose and brotherhood that was instilled by my father and grandfather growing up around them. My father was SF but in another country, doing training exercises in the US Army School of the America’s with other SF groups all around the world. To me Army SF is held in such a high regard in my family that any shot that I could have to do anything I can in my power to achieve said goal would mean everything to me. I follow lots of SOF community members, have read David Goggins’ book Cant Hurt me, Jocko’s Extreme Ownership as well as follow his podcast.
My current challenge as of now is deciding which Branch either Navy for Seals or Army, I realize that I may have to do 2 years prior to trying out for any SOF assessment for either since I am not a citizen (assuming I get citizenship after basic) . Would love if someone could help me weighing my options since I believe the cutoff age is 27 for SEALs and I would have to serve 2 years I would be topped out. Or would it be better to go Army SF since the age cap is higher?

I am currently working on my functional fitness, I swam in high school and onwards so I’ve always had a strong swimming base not so much for running. Working on swimming to drop at least 15 more pounds while stretching twice a day for increased flexibility. Working on strength exercises and pull ups and the standard push pull exercises.

I am happy that there’s a community that allows others to reach out to vetted mil guys, you guys are doing an awesome thing. So thank you for the help. Any criticism, comments and help from any mentor would be helpful as I will always keep an open mind and willing to work with whomever is kind enough to provide the support.

Spaniard

The Army will give you more opportunities than the Navy. It is very hard to get a spot to BUD/S from the fleet. Plus you have to be a citizen. You do not need an age waiver until you are 29, but they are difficult to get as well. If you choose to join the Navy without a contract for SEAL, I’d recommend going HM with a FMF option. You can get with a Marine unit and build some experience. Also, if your community manager won’t release you, there are SOCOM opportunities such as SARC unless you aren’t interested in medicine. I would not recommend joining the Navy however without a SEAL contract if that’s what you want to do due to bureaucracy. If you want a better chance to get to a SOCOM unit as an operator, then the Army is your best bet. Feel free to message me if you have anymore questions regarding the Navy.

Hey there.
27, CAARNG 35M on AD orders in VA working in Information Operations, going on 9 years with the Guard.
Have an associates, will be trying to work a Bachelor's Degree while here (moving from CA to VA because... well because I can't stand to be in that state any longer), as well as building up towards getting to a slot with the 19th Det out of WV, hopefully filling one of their 18D slots (that'd be assuming that I am picked up at the SFRE and subsequently through SFAS).

Chinese-Mandarin Linguist, background in exercise/physical training, and hate running more than most things.

I'm honestly also hoping to find a training partner around the National Capital Region, in addition to being thankful to have the opportunity to have mentor-ship.

Hello everyone,

I recently completed a 6 year national guard contract as an Infantryman. I'm now looking to go active duty within the next year or so and attend selection on an 18x contract.

Good luck with your aspirations.

Good afternoon,

My name is Nathan, I am currently station on Marine Corps Base Hawaii. I've been in the Marine Corps for a little over 6 years as an 0331 machine gunner. I'm a Sgt/E-5 most likely picking up Ssgt/E-6 next year. I have been in pursuit of special operations since I've joined but i haven't had the best luck getting there due to my lack of knowledge and previous COC's trying their best to retain me. Now i'm too senior for MARSOC due to TIG limitations, So the pursuit of 18B is and has been in my sights for about a year in a half. The faster i get on track to getting to SFAS and if selected MOS school the better. I am prepared to work and appreciate any guidance on getting there.

Back