Iraq and ISIS Discussion

@BloodStripe just necroposted posted in an Iran thread from 2017. Since this topic has all to do with Iran, and less to do with Iraq/ISIS, I’m going to move these Iran related posts to that thread.

It’s here in the Modern Conflict area now. Just letting folks know if they see 2 thread running for a few minutes.

Here is where the future Iran posts should go:

What’s happening in Iran?

I haven't been in Iraq since IR started so I wouldn't know for sure. Last time I was there in '12, all drones and military air was approved by the Iraqis so I imagine there is some form of approval from their gov't.

We haven't heard much out of Madi or Sistani, or even Al-Sadr in the media. It looks like they want us out and are ready to do it legally, but nothing big. Them saying they are willing to use force to get the U.S. out of Iraq is old news....

Shi'ites Want U.S. Out of Iraq

Al-Sadr reactivated the Mahdi Army.

Muqtada al Sadr reactivates Mahdi Army, Promised Day Brigade | FDD's Long War Journal

I feel like if we ever took the gloves off Sadr and pals would be smouldering piles of flesh. His strongholds are only strongholds because of arbitrary religious classifications and his use of human shields. Incidentally, Sadr's cushy treatment is also why I grew to dislike the Obama administration and his progressive eggheads.

Not just President Obama though. IIRC, Sadr moved to the no-strike list during President Bush’s tenure. And also AFAIK he’s still on the list under President Trump.

President Trump making Iran great again through expansion of his job creation program:

------

After creating job openings in Iran’s infamous Quds Force by “droning” Iranian terrorist mastermind Qasem Soleimani and several other associated baddies, the Trump Administration announced that it would be creating job openings for many, many other Iranian proxies in the region “in the very near future.”

Dubbed the “F–k Around and Find Out” program, or FAFO for short, the program involves using US organizations such as JSOC and the CIA to create vacancies in Iran’s Quds Force, Iraq’s various Shiite militias, and Syria-based ISIS. Individuals currently holding leadership positions in those organizations were marked for “mass, early non-mandatory retirement,” thereby freeing up jobs for others to move into.

money missile.jpg

Not just President Obama though. IIRC, Sadr moved to the no-strike list during President Bush’s tenure. And also AFAIK he’s still on the list under President Trump.
Honestly that sucks. I can't believe how much leeway Sadr has been given. Part of me still loathes the changes I saw under the Obama transition, I firmly believe Obama and his administration gave Iraq up to Iran. It almost felt like going from predator to prey, it was infuriating.

Honestly that sucks. I can't believe how much leeway Sadr has been given. Part of me still loathes the changes I saw under the Obama transition, I firmly believe Obama and his administration gave Iraq up to Iran. It almost felt like going from predator to prey, it was infuriating.

I might have posted it somewhere but I read about Biden being instrumental in negotiating with Soleimani for Iran's further involvement in Iraq.

I might have posted it somewhere but I read about Biden being instrumental in negotiating with Soleimani for Iran's further involvement in Iraq.
Yep, I remember reading that post. Thank you dude, it helped tie up some loose ends. Yesterday, I actually bought a six-pack to celebrate Soleimani's death. This from a guy who last drank beer in July. :D

Bush didn't do much with Iran, so we need to consider this a failure by America, not a specific president.
Hard disagree. Iraq was being stabilized and the Mahdi militias were on the ropes as Obama and his progressive eggheads stepped in. Obama and his cronies gave up our gains to Iran in exchange for 'peace' and a 'political win'. Considering how Iraq ended up, I blame him and his lackeys for the darkness that's ensued.

Hard disagree. Iraq was being stabilized and the Mahdi militias were on the ropes as Obama and his progressive eggheads stepped in. Obama and his cronies gave up our gains to Iran in exchange for 'peace' and a 'political win'. Considering how Iraq ended up, I blame him and his lackeys for the darkness that's ensued.

Define "stabilized"

I mean, basically everyone can point to the sectarian violence and long-term governmental collapse of Iraq being due to Rumsfeld's(IIRC) insistence that anyone affiliated with the Ba'ath party being denied involvement in the new Iraqi government, thereby almost guaranteeing that it wouldn't work out, but sure, its the one Dem president's fault.

We've been "losing" Iraq since 2004, because our military is not designed to help prop up foreign governments that are capable of standing without us

Define "stabilized"
Businesses going up and areas who had been without utilities having services (albeit sporadically) restored. Don't get me wrong, sectarian violence and corruption were rife, but it genuinely seemed the insurgency was on the back foot. People were out and about buying goods, the poorest bazaars were always packed, and there was a wave of construction going on.

It wasn't perfect, but there was a sense of hope.

I mean, basically everyone can point to the sectarian violence and long-term governmental collapse of Iraq being due to Rumsfeld's(IIRC) insistence that anyone affiliated with the Ba'ath party being denied involvement in the new Iraqi government, thereby almost guaranteeing that it wouldn't work out, but sure, its the one Dem president's fault.

We've been "losing" Iraq since 2004, because our military is not designed to help prop up foreign governments that are capable of standing without us
Rumsfeld wasn't the guy who cut our missions and sent down directives to 'shoot to wound' insurgents. I saw gains that had been made dissolve bit by bit under Obama and it still burns me today. It's a travesty that those progressive idiots handed Iraq over to Iran on a silver platter, then had us stand by as civilians were brutalized.

So yeah, there's plenty of blame to go around. The way I see it though, Obama and his progressive eggheads sold us out for a political victory.

The first move by Iraq's pro-Iran government was made. The parliament voted for expulsion of US Forces. The process for this as I understand is actually a long and deliberate one. Iraqi Parliament Convenes, to Take Decision on US Presence

In order for this to actually occur, a second vote is required. The Sunni and Kurdish Blocks did not participate in the vote.

The first move by Iraq's pro-Iran government was made. The parliament voted for expulsion of US Forces.

If we lose our bases in Iraq, where will all the new draftees be assigned?

“World War III” started trending on social media. Young men suddenly recalled registering after their 18th birthdays, many having done so while applying for college financial aid. One Twitter user posted that he had blocked the account of the United States Army, with the (faulty) reasoning that: “They can’t draft you if they can’t see you.”

Will There Be a Draft? Young People Worry After Military Strike

The House should open investigations whether the Trump children AND Kushner previously registered as per Federal law!

:ROFLMAO:

Bush didn't do much with Iran, so we need to consider this a failure by America, not a specific president.

True - this isn't a failure of any "single" POTUS - it is a collective failure of American will.

Every POTUS since Carter has had a chance to tell Iran to shut up and color - every POTUS since Carter has elected to kick the can a little further down the road. The United States at large has been content to look the other way for over 40 years. Iran spent a year torturing William Buckley, they car bombed the US Embassy in Beirut - THRICE, they hijacked TWA flight 847 and then left the murdered body of a US Service Member on the airstrip. They have shot down drones and captured US troops with a "go fuck yourself America" mantra the entire time - politicians around the world have chosen instead to focus on hashtag-save-our-girls, random Twitter outrage, and other nonsense.

The sad part is that the politicians aren't wholly to blame - the American public has provided tactic approval of this bizarre policy towards Iran by repeatedly putting the same dipshits in elected positions YEAR after YEAR...
...after year
...after year
...after year

The closest thing we ever get to a solution is when any given seated POTUS is lambasted by the opposition party.

True - this isn't a failure of any "single" POTUS - it is a collective failure of American will.

Every POTUS since Carter has had a chance to tell Iran to shut up and color - every POTUS since Carter has elected to kick the can a little further down the road. The United States at large has been content to look the other way for over 40 years. Iran spent a year torturing William Buckley, they car bombed the US Embassy in Beirut - THRICE, they hijacked TWA flight 847 and then left the murdered body of a US Service Member on the airstrip. They have shot down drones and captured US troops with a "go fuck yourself America" mantra the entire time - politicians around the world have chosen instead to focus on hashtag-save-our-girls, random Twitter outrage, and other nonsense.

The sad part is that the politicians aren't wholly to blame - the American public has provided tactic approval of this bizarre policy towards Iran by repeatedly putting the same dipshits in elected positions YEAR after YEAR...
...after year
...after year
...after year

The closest thing we ever get to a solution is when any given seated POTUS is lambasted by the opposition party.
Read Tanker war ( book about our conflict with Iran during the Reagan admin)

U.S Military tells Iraq it will withdraw

Trump works in mysterious ways. The article is a bit misleading as the letter states the U.S will be "repositioning forces over the course of the coming days and weeks to prepare for onward movement" doesn't explicitly say withdraw all U.S forces from the AOR.

Then the letter goes on to say “We respect your sovereign decision to order our departure”.

This letter looks a bit strange. But having written a lot of memos in my time, I'm pretty sure there are some incorrect things in there. Of course I could be wrong.

ETA: Apparently it's real, but it's a draft and was not supposed to be sent. Someone is losing their job over that.

Last edited:
Back