Israeli Special Forces Thread

13.jpg
Crazy place in the Judean desert, 130 degrees, nothing alive out there.14.jpg
Our base just outside Hebron, a city of 170k Arabs, 500 Jews, and 3k soldiers to keep the peace. In the background you can see a Jewish town on a hilltop across from an Arab one. Lots of potshots from the ARab side. 15.jpg
The sign says it: Jews and ARabs lived together in Hebron, peacefully, until the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem called for riots and killing. 69 Jews were killed, the rest driven out, until the whackjob below with a beard decided it was time to move back in in the 80's. He's not well loved by the locals, so he gets bodyguards sometimes, which was out duty.16.jpg 17.jpg
To the left of me you see a Jewish apartment building housing 5 families, to the right is the shuk/casbah. We had 3 guys on the building, 24/7.18.jpg
My buddy Shachar guarding the road the settlers used to get in and out of Hebron. Shit happens there. There's always overwatch.

19.jpg
My lieutenant, Ran. I would have done anything he asked. Good dude.20.jpg
My platoon.21.jpg
Crossing the border into Lebanon for the first time. We had to walk in, because Hizbullah was always blowing the convoys up. They have really sophisticated IED's, there's a damn factory for that shit. Stage rocks and everything. 22.jpg
Walking in. It was 6km to Tayybe, our outpost.23.jpg

The outpost. It's under Hizbullah control since Israel pulled out in 2000, so no problem posting. We were 1-2km from the town, had good elevation, but were constantly being shelled, so everything was underground beside the kitchen and bathrooms.24.jpg

25.jpg
Living quarters underground. We called them 'submarines'. Nasty, considering water was trucked in from Israel to avoid poisoning, so it was rationed. I showered 8 times in 4 months on base. 26.jpg
Hizbullah was constantly, and craftily, trying to break across the border and murder people, so our main job was trying to catch them. It was coordinated with Artillery, who had stations set up, and the Air Force, of course, but we went into the deep wadis where they couldn't see, and set up ambushes for 2-5 days at a time. Sitting in a bush, shitting in bags, pissing in bottles, good times all around. Above is my kit geared up for inspection hours before leaving for an ambush.27.jpg
Waiting for the sun to set so we can head out. The guy on the left was a Norwegian immigrant, and fellow sharpshooter (sniper, in Israel, but I wont use that term here, it does a disservice to the real snipers in the US military).28.jpg
'Hope we come back alive' shot.29.jpg
Different ambush.30.jpg
Returning victorious.

31.jpg
Whichever platoon had guard duty did a week straight of 2hrs on, 4 off, in Lebanon. In Hebron it was 6/6 all the time. Ugh.32.jpg

Zeroing in before going out on ops.33.jpg Guy on the right was also American. He's holding a Negev, the IMI replacement for the FN MAG you see in the pics above. It's 5.56, accurate as hell, small, and light. I've heard it said IDF soldiers are the heaviest in the world, carry too much weight, so the IDF was trying to lower it. My platoon was the first to get our hands on a prototype outside of IMI, they dropped it off to us with tons of ammo and said 'have fun, we'll be back for a report in a few weeks'.

Haha, there's beautiful country there, the army just doesn't usually go muck it up. I'll post some prettier ones later. I have hundreds, I've only scanned a few.

I've heard the beaches have some spectacular 'scenery'... feel free to post any pics you have of them.
I was too busy hitting it to take pics. It is great, because beside Israelis, you have half of Scandinavia vacationing too. Nice mix.

Oddly, my coffee obsession started in the army. I didn't drink it before then. But when you're cold/tired, you're not gonna say no. At first it was army swill, but later I cozied up to the Moroccans and YEmenites and their Turkish coffee, but it was the Bedouin and DRuze trackers that really got me. They always had a coffee kit packed in an ammo box, and I learned to do it right from them, quickly becoming my platoons barista.

Two days after I was released from service, I was back in a gov't office volunteering for the basic security school run by the Israel Airport Authority and the Shin Bet; it's the school that all gov't security forces take, border crossing guards, air marshals, secret service, embassy guards. It was 6hrs a day of krav, 6 hrs of shooting, 6 days a week, for 3 months. That fucking sucked, but I went to the last two weeks, then quit. Everyone had said I should go travel like all the other Israelis do after the army, and they were right. I wanted to prove to myself that I could make it (due to NOT making a SpecOps unit in the army), and I did that, but my heart wasn't in it. It lacked the camaraderie of the army, the instructors were all up in our shit (and I wasn't the guy who needed micromanaging), and I just felt lost (fucked).

After the army I needed a job, and walked into a cafe in Tel Aviv, where they made me study and take a test before hire. That really opened my eyes to good coffee, and what it entails, and I worked my way up to head barista. They offered me a position as shift manager, but I ended up turning it down and returning to the US. I still dont know why I came back, really. I loved Israel, did the army like an Israeli, no immigrant shortcuts or BS, and never planned on leaving. I drove as a courier up in SF for a year and a half. Nothing felt right, nothing made me feel as good as the army did, nothing meant anything. I was 3 days away from starting EMT school, when I got a call from an army buddy in LA to come down and interview with the company he was doing security for. He needed someone he could trust on his client, and on a whim I dropped everything, came to LA, interviewed, and here I am 16 years later. Strangely, my experience in ISrael has kept me employed for the last 16 years, but I'll be 41 this week. Last Aug I was fired (the whole company was, long story, no one did anything wrong) from the best detail I ever worked. I'll never have that again, it was truly one of a kind. I'm doing security at a school with some great guys, which helps make up for the fact I don't enjoy the work too much, and trying to make the coffee business grow to the point I can do only that.

Both the coffee and security have their roots in the IDF . Go figure.

whole post.

Your coffee skills are right up there... savoring the first pot... ground it Turkish fine, used a bamboo filter inside a gold filter and the water got to 195*F... I wish it had that last 5* for a perfect brew, it's close though, very close. I may have to make a batch of cold extracted (Toddy) elixir... that's the true test for me... cold extraction can make shitty coffee taste great, great coffee will be a treat from whatever gods to whom you pray.

The Colombian Finca Matteradonda as a medium roast is earthy but not dirty, with a nice acid after bite without being bitter, and just the right amount of oil without being greasy. The polar opposite of the Melville Character crap they try to sell with their own little vocabulary for the seemingly effete hipsters. West Coast Roasters is real coffee for real coffee drinkers, complex yet subtle flavors with oils, acids and undertones (citrus, wood smoke, and herbs for the blend I chose) so well balanced that hot or cold it is fully satisfying and enjoyable.

I'll be buying more, possibly with some roasting requests and custom bean blends.

Last edited:
Matt Perger, who's a world brewers cup champ or something, uses boiling water for every drip method. Rolling boil. He did a Q&A on reddit, and that caught my eye pretty hard. It'll work on a super light roast, but anything darker.....

Edit: yikes, thank you!

Last edited:
Matt Perger, who's a world brewers cup champ or something, uses boiling water for every drip method. Rolling boil. He did a Q&A on reddit, and that caught my eye pretty hard. It'll work on a super light roast, but anything darker.....

Edit: yikes, thank you!

No prob, it's the truth about your roasting... extremely well done.

Cold extraction replaces heat with time, a single batch takes about 24 hours, the taste is just like the smell of the freshly roasted beans, and can be tailored by the drinker with the addition of hot water to the elixir/liqueur.

Yeah, I keep thinking it would be a good idea to buy 20 acres of rocks here and turn it into an SS playground.

I thought Israel was rocky, then I went to Iceland. Israel is hard, Iceland will shred to ribbons.

Damn rocks.

I thought Israel was rocky, then I went to Iceland. Israel is hard, Iceland will shred to ribbons.

Damn rocks.
Utah, Nevada, Oregon, Montana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado.... all have their shred you with edges of sharp rock areas...
The Troll got shredded on rocks once at my house.

(That'll teach you to punch the ice bag.)

Back