Lithuanian Special Operations Force

Gordus

Didn't see any thread on them. Heard many good things. I just found this cool video released very recently. It seems to be an announcment for a documentary / short film. Looks lit.

Well the video is in keeping with the the Eastern Europe "SOF" video style.

Funny story, my hunting buddy use to buy weapons by the shipping container from Lithuanian back in the 90's, and, well, sell them in other places. He has told me many stories of crazy dudes drinking vodka at breakfast while making multi million dollar deals.

Lithuania is not Eastern Europe, its Northern. And LITHSOF is exact opposite of your "typical Eastern Euro SOF" if that is even a thing. Narrator tells history (forest brothers) and traditions that all four different units base themselves on. Geopolitical situation is different there so they send clear message to "foe" that they will stand for themselves (takes loads of ball to do that in my opinion). Just ask any 10th, team guy or dude that worked with them in Afghanistan about them, they will tell you that they're legit.

Lithuania is not Eastern Europe, its Northern. And LITHSOF is exact opposite of your "typical Eastern Euro SOF" if that is even a thing. Narrator tells history (forest brothers) and traditions that all four different units base themselves on. Geopolitical situation is different there so they send clear message to "foe" that they will stand for themselves (takes loads of ball to do that in my opinion). Just ask any 10th, team guy or dude that worked with them in Afghanistan about them, they will tell you that they're legit.

Calm down turbo, I didn't mean anything negative by it. Just that the video was a bit dramatic, which is common in former USSR countries. Northern Europe, my apologies.

I’m sorry i don’t want to be mean here but that’s one of the dumbest articles I have ever read. I’m sure their SOF are capable. People sometimes think that SOF are a panacea for all strategic problems. All the SOF in the world won’t make any difference when the 1st Grand Tanks Army is steam rolling through your defenses and destroying everything in sight. Lithuania would almost certainly cease to exist as an independent nation within a week if they intervened in Ukraine, barring immediate NATO reinforcement.

SOF complement conventional forces in large scale conflicts. Lithuania has around 25,000 active duty service members. Russia mobilized 160,000 soldiers, including 1000 tanks, at the borders of Estonia, Lithuania, and Latvia within 24 hours. Just to prove a point and intimidate their former subjects.

Keep in mind that Russia has SOF as well, and they have extensive combat in counter-terrorism and unconventional warfare. Russia is two for two in the modern era when it comes to imposing their will on former Soviet republics, and their SOF literally let the way in both of those conflicts.

Keep in mind that Russia has SOF as well, and they have extensive combat in counter-terrorism and unconventional warfare. Russia is two for two in the modern era when it comes to imposing their will on former Soviet republics, and their SOF literally let the way in both of those conflicts.

The war in Ukraine ain't over yet,

and It is not a huge feat to beat a 3rd world country that can realisticaly only field +/- a division of poorly prepped boots with nonexistent leadership and a bunch of upgraded but still outdated Soviet hardware. Especialy when such an intervention still costs you many men and dozens of vehicles while the opposition communicates with mobile phones and has declared a one-sided ceasefire, literaly presenting themselves on a silver plate.

Russia isn’t giving up the Crimea. I will grant you attaching Georgia isn’t the same as attacking Lithuania. Russia still has the mass to quickly overwhelm any of the Baltic States.

I don't doubt that.

But technicaly they would have no justification whatsoever to attack a full fledged NATO member over intervening in a sessessionist conflict ( obv not without consent of the Ukrainian government ), especialy because Russia officialy and publicaly denies to be part of it.

I don't doubt that.

But technicaly they would have no justification whatsoever to attack a full fledged NATO member over intervening in a sessessionist conflict ( obv not without consent of the Ukrainian government ), especialy because Russia officialy and publicaly denies to be part of it.
Russia doesn’t need justification to do anything. They can just make something up like they did in the Ukraine and Georgia. Russia shut down Estonia’s internet because they removed a statue of a WWII Russian soldier. They would clearly respond to Lithuanian involvement in Ukraine. You may not believe that Russia would invade Lithuania but they do. Lithuania recently brought back the draft to increase the size of their military and has publically protested Russian information operations in their country that they fear are a precursor to war. They would definitely not want to poke the bear.

Lithuania fears Russian propaganda is prelude to eventual invasion

Russia doesn’t need justification to do anything. They can just make something up like they did in the Ukraine and Georgia. Russia shut down Estonia’s internet because they removed a statue of a WWII Russian soldier. They would clearly respond to Lithuanian involvement in Ukraine. You may not believe that Russia would invade Lithuania but they do. Lithuania recently brought back the draft to increase the size of their military and has publically protested Russian information operations in their country that they fear are a precursor to war. They would definitely not want to poke the bear.

I know the threat is real, but keep in mind that however hard they try to twist facts and events in their media it would not be as easy to find an even remotely believable pretext like they did with Georgia and Ukraine. Remember, in both cases Russian troops were already occupying their territories. In case of Georgia the 08 conflict was a culmination of years of provocations and 15y of cultivated war mentality, while the former Geo gov did their part with some really stupid decisions that suited their pretext just perfectly at the time. With Ukraine it was even more obvious and backstabby what happened, but again, the pretext was physical, there was chaos, and they took over without even an armed conflict because both the Ukrainian gov and military were completly disfunctional to non-existent in that period, so their pretext was, ironicaly, the threat of illigitimate action of a rogue / collapsed nation against their military assets and ethnic groups.

In case of Lithuania, if they helped out the Ukrainians in whatever capacity to fight a rebellion, it would neither be an attack on Russia nor a physical threat to it's territorial integrity and souvereignity. They can twist it as hard as they want, unless they openly acknowledge to be at war with Ukraine, nothing they might claim would physicaly and politicaly justify, not even to their public, that they've straight out attacked and invaded a foreign country. The only likely consequence I see there would be sanctions. I know I may come off incredibly naive right now and it's dead obvious that they've become far more reckless than in 2008 but even that would be a step too far for Putin. If he invaded the Baltic, that would escalate things and turn him a de-facto political corpse and Russia an official rogue nation and in war with NATO.

All Russia has to do is claim that Lithuania is impeding their ability to resupply Kaliningrad in violation of their 2003 agreement to move troops and supplies through there freely. Putin would be a political corpse only if Russia goes to war with NATO. He would be even more of a national hero if NATO does not feel like going to nuclear war over a small Baltic state and give Putin his land bridge. So far no one has really lifted a finger to stop Russian aggression against Georgia and the Ukraine. Putin is a gambler and I can see how he would be tempted to invade the Baltics. I don't think he is willing to do that right now because of all his forces in the Middle East right now but don't be suprised if the bear bites you after you poke it.

Back