Lone Survivor the Movie

Just got back from the movie… For "Lone Survivor", It is not an accurate portrayal of what ACTUALLY happened, but I knew that going in. Especially the last part of the movie… Total fiction. That being said, it was probably one of the most accurate war movies I've seen, they did a great job of depicting that shitty terrain (theirs even a part where he eats shit and I laughed rather inappropriately…), and they were pretty good about the small details, like the raspy shallow breaths you make from wounds. I'm glad they made the movie and would recommend it, especially to non-mil friends, as it exposes people to the rigors of war, and I think it takes a way the romanticism that a lot of hollywood movies attach to combat, which is bullshit. Combat isn't some fucking fairy tale, and I think it gives a good, rude awakening to some people.

Just got back from the movie… For "Lone Survivor", It is not an accurate portrayal of what ACTUALLY happened, but I knew that going in. Especially the last part of the movie… Total fiction. That being said, it was probably one of the most accurate war movies I've seen, they did a great job of depicting that shitty terrain (theirs even a part where he eats shit and I laughed rather inappropriately…), and they were pretty good about the small details, like the raspy shallow breaths you make from wounds. I'm glad they made the movie and would recommend it, especially to non-mil friends, as it exposes people to the rigors of war, and I think it takes a way the romanticism that a lot of hollywood movies attach to combat, which is bullshit. Combat isn't some fucking fairy tale, and I think it gives a good, rude awakening to some people.

Thanks Goon, i'll give it a try now.

I went and saw Lone Survivor last night, although there are obvious changed and discrepancies as there always seems to be when "Hollywood" touches anything I thought it was well executed. The eerie part was after the movie was over, there was no clapping or even talking just the silence of people walking out. To me that said a lot as I feel people got on a very very small scope kind of what they dealt with and that is even saying a lot. I was bummed however to see a 15 yr old kid wear fatigues and a Ranger hoodie, pretending that he belonged and even though I am not military it bothered me.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for kids and even adults looking up to those in the military. I also thought maybe he had lost someone or knew someone, I actually asked simply because there was a lot of military there to view the movie. He stated he simply thought it looked cool. But I agree that more kids should.

Went and saw it. I don't think a word was said in the whole place when the credits started rolling. People just got up and left. Very different movie experience.

The movie was compelling and difficult to watch at times. I do think that they could have adjusted a few facts to make it sit better with those who can appreciate the details, but it was a commendable effort. The film seemed to fly by, though. I think they could have added an extra hour to the movie and I wouldn't have noticed.

One thing struck me as ironic while reading @goon175 's review. That one of the most accurate to the book movies ever made of a war story was Bravo Two Zero. A story largely fabricated and still surrounded by controversy.

One thing struck me as ironic while reading @goon175 's review. That one of the most accurate to the book movies ever made of a war story was Bravo Two Zero. A story largely fabricated and still surrounded by controversy.

I would venture that primarily it's not about the story itself, but more appropriately staying true to whatever the account the film is based on. There's going to be theatrical latitude taken, it's acting after all... but some things need to be more appropriately portrayed. Case in point, the amount of research and different specific events brought in on BHD that actually happened. The donkey in the middle of the firefight, and multiple other events were actual experiences from the guys on the ground. Washing out the HMMWV's of blood and gore is something recalled specifically by my platoon's weapons squad leader when I was a cherry at 3/75.

Back