Lone Survivor the Movie

Just saw this trailer for the first time today. With interview of the parents...I will watch this, but man will it be tough...something that gets to me everything I see the trailers is the scene where the guys are getting into the choppers and heading out for a rescue. In a movie, they're supposed to make it "just in time". They are not supposed to be blown out of the sky. Damn.

HBO is now showing a short 30-minute documentary, "Will of the Warrior," that gives a cool look at how former SEALs helped collaborate in the making of the movie, along with interviews with the parents of the fallen SEALs.

When I was OCONUS, from time to time we'd get "directors releases" or whatever sent out to us before they were officially released. Sometimes someone would get a black market version before the official release.

Watching it now. Good movie, crap for details at times. They didn't even get Turbine 33's callsign right and a memorial patch for Marc Lee in 2005? Sadly, Axelson's death in the movie conflicts with Luttrell's book.

Good movie, but details and events are just plain wrong.

Last edited:
Watching it now. Good movie, crap for details at times. They didn't even get Turbine 33's callsign right and a memorial patch for Marc Lee in 2005? Sadly, Axelson's death in the movie conflicts with Luttrell's book.

Good movie, but details and events are just plain wrong.
Marcus mentioned here that some of the scenes didn't really happen in real life.

Marcus mentioned here that some of the scenes didn't really happen in real life.

Which is funny because of the numerous interviews and stories where the director and others talked about "getting it right."

Here's a great one:

http://collider.com/peter-berg-marcus-luttrell-lone-survivor-interview/
3 times Berg talks about "getting it right" and if you Google that phrase there are others instances out there.

I'm thrilled that the movie was made, and it is a well-made movie (more or less, the slow-mo scenes were a bit much), but don't jerk us off with comments about getting it right or honoring the fallen. They didn't take understandable shortcuts like Blackhawk Down's composite characters, Lone Survivor fabricated whole scenes and botched basic details. There's enough controversy around the event in general and Mr. Luttrell that the movie could have at LEAST refrained from adding to it.

How do you honor anyone when you fabricate the story or alter it to suit whatever ends you have in mind? The story is ridiculously powerful on its own without Hollywood being Hollywood.

If it were just a fictitious event the movie would be amazing, but "based on a true story" is hollow because of the many things it did wrong. If anyone thinks I'm off, go compare Luttrell's book to the movie.

Go see the movie, but know that what you're watching deviates from actual events....per Luttrell's book and not some inside scoop I may have (and I have none).

Back