M1 Garand

pardus

Verified Military
I want one, I also dont want to spend $1,000.

CMP is not a source anymore, (not that I was eligable anyway being a damn foreigner).

Anyone have any G2 on where I can get one?

Dont need a pristine one but dont want a shagged one either, I can replace wood but want a good bore.

Thanks.

Gun Show the last one I was at had some really nice one and I now they did not cost a grand

I picked one up at a gun show in Indy for $525. The stock was a little dinged up but I'm fine with that, after all it was a service rifle and as far as I'm concerned, replacing it would look nice but it would take away from this particular weapons history. The bore was dirty as hell when I got it and I was a little aversive about what all the carbon might be hiding (IE: pitting, shallow groves in the rifling, etc.) After I got it home I hit it hard with wipe-out bore cleaner and it took out a shitload of copper residue but aside from that the bore looked good. The mouth of the chamber is worn but it still good for a few thousand rounds. When/if it does finally get to the point where its not safe to use, I've been told you can purchase a new barrel from Springfield Arms. Sure it takes away from the overall nostalgia of the weapon but at least I could still use it. Anyhow, as old and dinged up as it is, she's still a shooter. I haven't had any trouble hitting anything under 300 yards using standard iron sights (provided the farthest ranges that are within a reasonable driving distance around here are all about 300 yds or less). Decently priced Garands are out there, you just have to look and be prepared to do a little work on it.

I've done a bit of looking and asking and Ive put a bid in on a .308 Garand $800.

I would prefer that caliber as it'll be the same ammo as my FN's.

On the Advertisement Gunbroker.com, Their are a couple for 650,but in 30-06

CLICK ON THE ADDS

Clicking the ads doesnt do anything anymore. However if you click the gun broker link and register, the site makes a buck lol.

I got an M1 Garand in .308, cost $800.

Trying to get a stock for it as the one it came with was fucked up.

Thanks to all.

Wow, I'm too late for this thread. I'm selling my M-1.

Mine is a little bit beat up, but still in "good" shape- which is how I recieved it. I'm pretty sure it has seen actual service. It even has a RACK number painted on the stock; apparently it was once issued, or at least the stock was. I bought it from an old Marine- himself a collector, and I'd love to find out more about its history, but I've lost contact with the guy. When I bought it, it's history wasn't important to me, so I really didn't ask many questions. Years later, I find myself just a tiny bit slower to buy without knowing about where the piece is from and whose hands its been in. Wish I'd asked those questions.

Ah well, anyway...

I'll post a pic of it later. I know this isn't a buy-sell thread, but maybe someone will be able to tell me something about this weapon by looking at the pic.

Wow, I'm too late for this thread. I'm selling my M-1.

Mine is a little bit beat up, but still in "good" shape- which is how I received it. I'm pretty sure it has seen actual service. It even has a RACK number painted on the stock; apparently it was once issued, or at least the stock was. I bought it from an old Marine- himself a collector, and I'd love to find out more about its history, but I've lost contact with the guy. When I bought it, it's history wasn't important to me, so I really didn't ask many questions. Years later, I find myself just a tiny bit slower to buy without knowing about where the piece is from and whose hands its been in. Wish I'd asked those questions.

Ah well, anyway...

I'll post a pic of it later. I know this isn't a buy-sell thread, but maybe someone will be able to tell me something about this weapon by looking at the pic.

I've got a book about the M1's, from 1936-1957. It has all the serial numbers in it from all M1s that came out in that time period.

It helped me research mine.

I found mine at a gun store sitting on a rack with 2 others. 1 was fresh from the box, probably out of Greece, cost $1200. The 2nd one was on consignment for $1400. It was old enough that it had a Springfield serial number with 6 digits.

Mine had a Winchester serial number, 7 digits, but found out more about it after, disassembling it and seeing the other serial numbers.

The story of the gun was, some guy had it in his basement for the past 40 plus years, never really using it, and decided to just get rid of it, so he took it to this gun store and sold it to them, to which the gun store just put it out on a rack for a set price. (I'll tell you the price later. I don't want to upset Tony too early.....yet).

Anyway, the serial numbers to look for are.....The main serial number that you see in front of the rear sites. The Receiver, the Bolt, the Trigger Housing, the Hammer, the Op Rod Handle, and the Barrel.

I found on mine that the main serial number "Winchester 1617840", came out of the Winchester factory in April of '45. The Receiver and Bolt also came out of Winchester, same time period. The Op Rod Handle, Hammer, Barrel, and Trigger Housing, came out of Springfield, between '44 and '45. The only "generic" thing on the gun is the safety, which came out of Harvester, sometime after '54. It even still had a post Korean War cleaning kit in the stock.

The only thing missing on it where the "Cartouche", or stamps, on the stock, to show that it had been proof tested for Korea. But after taking it to the Crossroads Gun Show last year, and talking with several people that know about M1s, I was told, that they were probably sanded off at a later date. One guy even showed me, that the stock was from Springfield, just by the cut. So what we determined was, this gun came out at the end of WWII and was placed in service, and stayed in service through the Korean War. Whether it saw action, don't know. It could have been some Soldier's/Marines weapon, that didn't see action, but was posted elsewhere. But I like to think that this baby did indeed, see action and fire off a few rounds "In Anger". Now how it got to that guys basement, is where the trail drys up.

So if you've those serial numbers, or any others that you can find, I'll be happy to look them up.

BTW....the Cost of my M1. The gun store it it marked for $599.00. I said nice gun. Put it back on the rack, came back 5 days later, when they had a sale going on, and talked them down to......$475.00. Seeing that I was going to be picking up several other things, rounds, gun case, targets, ect.
At the Gun Show, I had one guy offer me $1600.00 cash for it, right there.

I said NO. I like this gun. >:{

WOW!

Ask and ye shall recieve, eh?

Super- I'll send you the numbers by Thursday of this week! I'd love to see what you can tell me about it, thanks brother.

Maybe it's just me, but I think there are few things cooler than knowing just how much history there can be in a single rifle. Frankly, its amazing to me.

Now how it got to that guys basement, is where the trail drys up.

You'd have to find that guy, load him up on some Jack Daniels; then I bet he'd tell you.

Back