M9 Holster Advice

Pick up a Safariland ALS holster without the hood.

I'm looking at them now, there are dozens of them lol

I hate to be asked to be spoon fed guys but any idea on models?

6355, or 6385?

Even the 6304 looks good if I were to remove the hood guard and leave the SLS hood for extra security.

Which M9- did you get the new one with the light rail? If so, a light will be in your goodie box.

On to the holster. Some random thoughts:

On the chest
a. accessible to both hands
b. takes up space on IBA
c. IMHO, more likely to pick up crap from hitting prone (and depending on the holster, the crap is more or less likely to hang up i.e. the SERPA).
d. Weapon is disabled if hit/fragged in the chest plate; possibility of ricochet

On the waist
a. accessible to both hands with practice
b. if mounted to a Brokos belt or similar, can be worn the same way on or off the FOB.
c. can be concealed if required
d. may not be comfortable with IBA

On the thigh
b. allows your IBA space to be used for ammo and medic stuff
c. may shift a bit when running (what doesn't?)
d. doesn't interfere with prone, and can be reached from prone without raising your silhouette

Looking at it from another viewpoint, I believe it's bad juju to keep changing the location of your pistol. The key to becoming good with anything is consistency in the application of the basics. You need to train from one holster, carried in the same position, over and over so that when you do need to pull that pistol you don't have a brain fart trying to decide where the pistol is. This will also make training for one handed manipulations much easier.

Here's what I do, YMMV. I wear a 6004 Safariland tactical holster on my leg. For a number of reasons, I don't like SERPAs. The 6004 protects the gun, keeps it secure, clears my armor, and because the gun is always in the same position training is simplified. I also don't flag my buddies when training. My armor is slick on the right side so as not to snag the gun. The front of the vest has extra 5.56 mags and pistol mags, but is also dedicated to carrying medical supplies. I tend to work out of my vest (at least at first), so this works well for me. Of course, my AO is straight up big city urban so take all of this in context.

If you go with a leg holster, you have the advantage of one method of carry on or off the FOB. Tip- it shouldn't hang low on your thigh like a cowboy rig. It should be adjusted low enough to clear your IBA so it rides high on your thigh.

Which M9- did you get the new one with the light rail? If so, a light will be in your goodie box.

On to the holster. Some random thoughts:

On the chest
a. accessible to both hands
b. takes up space on IBA
c. IMHO, more likely to pick up crap from hitting prone (and depending on the holster, the crap is more or less likely to hang up i.e. the SERPA).
d. Weapon is disabled if hit/fragged in the chest plate; possibility of ricochet

On the waist
b. if mounted to a Brokos belt or similar, can be worn the same way on or off the FOB.
c. can be concealed if required
d. may not be comfortable with IBA

On the thigh
b. allows your IBA space to be used for ammo and medic stuff
c. may shift a bit when running (what doesn't?)
d. doesn't interfere with prone, and can be reached from prone without raising your silhouette

Looking at it from another viewpoint, I believe it's bad juju to keep changing the location of your pistol. The key to becoming good with anything is consistency in the application of the basics. You need to train from one holster, carried in the same position, over and over so that when you do need to pull that pistol you don't have a brain fart trying to decide where the pistol is. This will also make training for one handed manipulations much easier.

Here's what I do, YMMV. I wear a 6004 Safariland tactical holster on my leg. For a number of reasons, I don't like SERPAs. The 6004 protects the gun, keeps it secure, clears my armor, and because the gun is always in the same position training is simplified. I also don't flag my buddies when training. My armor is slick on the right side so as not to snag the gun. The front of the vest has extra 5.56 mags and pistol mags, but is also dedicated to carrying medical supplies. I tend to work out of my vest (at least at first), so this works well for me. Of course, my AO is straight up big city urban so take all of this in context.

If you go with a leg holster, you have the advantage of one method of carry on or off the FOB. Tip- it shouldn't hang low on your thigh like a cowboy rig. It should be adjusted low enough to clear your IBA so it rides high on your thigh.

The leg rig makes sense I know, I had it set up there and fucking hated it. Ive never liked shit on my legs. Admittedly it was slung low though. I'll try it a little higher.
My armor is pretty bulky and I have to have my IFAK on my right side. Also have a medical pouch for treating patients.
This is all a work in progress with brand new gear, not ideal for going into combat but there it is.

No this is the Army, I got an old one. lol

The leg rig makes sense I know, I had it set up there and fucking hated it. Ive never liked shit on my legs. Admittedly it was slung low though. I'll try it a little higher.
My armor is pretty bulky and I have to have my IFAK on my right side. Also have a medical pouch for treating patients.
This is all a work in progress with brand new gear, not ideal for going into combat but there it is.
Put it between your legs, what possibilities.
You can grab your gun with both hands:p
Imagine the awesome conversations with those in charge....
Pardus, what the fuck are you doing?
Just checking my gun sir! :D

I don't like it on my chest as there is a chance I could have to climb or low crawl. I have a belt Sherpa with an extender that sits on my upper thigh. It is rigid and doesn't ride down and stays in place.

I will give you mine for next to nothing. I have no need for it as I have a glock now. I can post a pic. But the way mine is set up, I can transfer my pistol in about 10 seconds from my leg to chest(depending on if mounted) if you do change it you need to train your muscle memory.

I am not reading through all thats said, but I have several types of holsters for the M9 and I have no problem loaning you one. I have 2 or 3 SERPA's (paddle, molle and the drop rig) I also have a Safariland 6004 drop rig (old model with the hood), I have another cheap paddle (I forget the maker).

If you are not into any of those, I would reccomend Trojan Tactical (www.trotac.com) and getting the scabberd holster. John (the owner) gives discounts to MIL & LE, and he is a very cool dude. Tell him that Joseph Bell with Tactical Immersion told you to order from him and he may give you a better discount. I am still working on a product review for his gear, but I have been running the last 3.5 months and I have yet to have any issues. I think his gear is better than 75% of the kydex stuff being sold in the market today. Just good solid gear, built well and made to last.

Thank you all for the great advice and the generous offers.

I'm going to take Mara and cback up on their generous offers, should do me fine for what I need.

The Safariland looks awesome but cant beat the price of those SHERPAs lol

When I graduate from the RANGER freefall SEAL sniper school and get attached to DELTA's CIA hit squad unit I'll upgrade.

When I graduate from the Ranger freefall SEAL sniper school and get attached to DELTA's CIA hit squad unit I'll upgrade.

Never gonna happen if you keep up these OPSEC violations.

I use the G-C0de mounting stuff with a Safariland ALS (hoodless variety), it's the hot fire.

It's entirely mission dependent. For me, a Safariland 6004 or Raven Concealment Systems Phantom holster work well. I've used both for years. What I wear depends on whether I'm in blacks or clothes. Of course, I no longer am afflicted with the M9, but when I was I still preferred the same setup.

A pistol's a pistol; your mission, body type, and other gear (e.g. for me, mounting the pistol on my armor never made sense) are the main factors that affect holster choice in my view.

FWIW, I ran a 1911 in a DSG Alpha holster while I was in Florida for a week +, it worked very well and compared favorably to the Raven products. Service was excellent, and there was no 4 month wait-I had it a few days after I ordered it. Texans make good shit :thumbsup:

Back