Marine Corps bans audible farting in Afghanistan

Well, the author has some attention now. The story has changed to being a directive from the "White House." :rolleyes: Notwithstanding the fact that the "Marines" pictured are not U.S.farts.jpg

Audible, whatever.... I can clear the TOC without making a sound, especially if I'm assisted by MREs.

I want to see you work up the Boyle's law equations (show your work) for the effective force of a fart assisted by an MRE.... you have 2 hours, scratch paper is provided...:-|

Alright, I'll play... :D (sorry the formatting got kinda fucked... copy/paste from a text doc I worked this up in_

It would be more effective to attack it from the Ideal Gas Law from which Boyle is derived (ideal states that PV= nRT... hence for situation 1, P1V1 = nR1T1.... keep n1 and T1 the same as n2 and T2, which is an assumption under Boyle... ergo n1RT1 = n2RT2 ergo P1V1 = P2V2...)

P = systemic pressure
V = container volume
n = number of atoms of gas expressed in moles
R is a constant used to balance the equation
T is temperature expressed in Kelvin scale

You asked for effective force... fluid dynamics and the laminar/turbulent flow associate with the force aren't my forte, but I would imagine that they would be linearly proportional with the system pressure (eg double the pressure, double the force)

if we assume that, we need to start by rearranging the equation for P (or at least I would). PV = nRT implies that P = nRTV^-1
Systemic biology remains constant... (the normal colonic expansion/contraction would varies based on the controlling muscles, which go unaffected by MRE consumption)... thus regard V as a constant.

We're left with two random variables on the right side... n and T. I would estimate that T would increase by 5-15K dependent on MRE consumed (ie... pork rib would be lower, closer to 5... chili mac with crushed red pepper would push a 25k increase - a nice solid couch-burner)
While one could argue that other foods (a good Indian curry) can give a good burn on exit... a solid temp increase due to MRE is (although not scientifically measured and verified, I'm basing this on WAG... if anyone has hard data, please speak up)

Normal body temp is 37 deg C, also known as 310k. Hence T[MRE]/T[norm] is 1.05, or a 5% increase.

Next is moles of gas... this is much harder to verify and will vary based on physiology. Personally, I would estimate a triplicate increase in gas production. But given the wide sigma on this variable, we'll conservatively estimate a 50% increase. Thus we move forward with the assumption that n{MRE] = 1.5*n{norm].

Thus the final expression of the ideal gas laws is as follows...

P[norm] = n[norm]*R*T[norm]*V^-1

P{MRE} = n{MRE]*R*T{MRE}^-1... substitution gives us P[MRE} = 1.05*n[norm]*R*1.5*T{norm]*V^-1 = 1.57*n{norm]*R*T[norm]*V^-1

Force through a fluid is defined as the gradient function of pressure divided by volume... given that I do not have hard data proving what P[norm] (ie unassisted fart pressure) is... I cannot put a hard number on this variable outside of modeling equations.

[Note that both of these effects may be achieved by foods other than MRE, but are usually not co-located.... if your diet is high inIndian food AND beans... your mileage may vary)]

Yeah, good luck enforcing that when the guys/gals are eating MRE's and/or goat...

What were you and RP eating that last day then? I though you blamed the Ranger cookie. Those were some right nasty ones when we were there...

He just told me "I told you, we had BEANS" followed by "you need to get that recipe".:-|NO!!!

Totentanz could we apply Daltons law to that equation. If the internal system of a human can only hold about 7 lbs. pressure could we then get the total time required for the gasses to reach a second containment such as the room or in the case of last night the confines of a vehicle?
Great opportunity to teach partial pressures in a open water dive class:cool:

My job here is done... I have effectively derailed a fart thread to a physics thread... would that be reverse hijacking?:-":D

Totentanz... stellar job aiding this derailment, you should have been an NCO, you are wasted as an officer...

Bill, with the 7psi threshhold, that means humans will never be used for high pressure welding...:ROFLMAO:

Totentanz could we apply Daltons law to that equation. If the internal system of a human can only hold about 7 lbs. pressure could we then get the total time required for the gasses to reach a second containment such as the room or in the case of last night the confines of a vehicle?
Great opportunity to teach partial pressures in a open water dive class:cool:

Waterborne farts i.e. in the tub, are water filtered of particulates thereby changing the density ratio and allowing for quicker disbursement in the proposed containment area. The proof of particulate filtering is in the odor of the filtered methane versus that of not particulate filtered i.e the dutch oven effect.

We had a huge farting culture at one point. I remember one of my mates would do radio checks as:

"Comms, radio check please. *fart*

"5x5."

Or walking into comms, farting and walking out and holding the door shut. Ahhh good times.

Back