MARSOC A&S September/October 2011

Just checkin in...

Dropped my swim time (300m) to 12 mikes sidestroke in cammies. Still getting back into swimming shape--almost where I used to be at.

For my hikes I've been able to maintain 10 minute miles, or 6 mph. I am probably going to switch over from using an assault pack to train to an old school mountain ruck. I'm just using a 45lb dumbbell right now.

I can complete the Short Card on a good day in 11-12 minutes. On a bad day (read: smoked) it'll take me a full 20. I put my hands at a 45 degree angle on the ground instead of beneath my ass for the core calisthenics (flutter kicks and such.) I try to do each exercise with 100% proper form now.

I've acquired a map of Pendleton and I might end up spooling up a Marine or two on landnav at some point. I think the prep course is going to be more than enough for anyone--but it'll help ease their minds going in with a base knowledge.

Also: One Marine I know that should be going to the Sept/Oct class is jumping on my next MCMAP course and anyone else is very welcome to, even if you're not going for your next belt or whatever. The PT is going to be gooood.

I will be out in Oceanside in August. If you need land nav help I can give you some good guidance.

I'm getting right around the 9:45 mark for the swim. Long limbs really help. However, said long limbs also curse me on the short card, as I usually get around 25 minutes on them. I've always been a strong hiker, keeping about a 15 minute mile with juice still in the tank. I'm hoping the MAI course I'm doing right now helps out my short card time.

Where are you doing MAIC? I went to the Pendleton satellite school back in April. Good stuff. It'll definitely put you in good calisthenics shape.

No worries.

I keep hearing that more POGs (I'm not dogging on anyone here) and Reservists get selected than Grunts.

I'm a POG Reservist....Hmmm maybe I'd have double the chance. Ha ha.

I've actually heard the same thing. A few guys said that it is because on the active side you focus on your job before anything else. In some cases, you PT on your own making your fitness up to you.

Being a civilian 90% of the time I get to run / swim before work and then go to the gym during my lunch break. It makes it easier becuase there isn't someone above me telling me where I have to be or what I have to do. However, I lack on the tactical side that I'm sure a lot of the active guys shine in at A&S.

As far as a specific MARSOC article, look up the August 2010 Marine Corps Times article about it.
It says that they were specifically looking to fill positions from reservists because we bring different "skills" to the table. I'm just assuming that may have had something to deal with that as well.

Glad to see this post up. I know a few guys that have gone through A&S who were selected and not selected. Here's what I got from talking to them: Those who came from a job that didn't require them spending a lot of time on their feet, came ill prepared. They did the 10 week prep but did little to nothing on top of that. Obviously the guys who spent alot of time on their feet and did the 10 week program were better prepared for the physical demands of A&S. More importantly you must be mentally and emotionally ready for what you're going to go through. The physical part of it should be a given, if you're in the right mindset to become a CSO then you're going to physically prepare yourself, if that's what you really want.

Hope you boys are pushing hard for the Sept class. I'm slotted in for the following class and will be starting the 10 week program next week and will post my results. I'm not in a combat arms MOS so I will be posting questions regarding land nav and such.

Lastly, if you haven't already, check out the Discovery Channel's documentary entitled "Two Weeks in Hell", which you can watch on YouTube. From what I've heard, it's eerie similar to A&S.

is friday, when you hike are you trotting to get that pace? if not how the hell do you walk that fast?! Maybe I just have really short legs...

I've tried alternating between trotting and walking for a few minutes. I go faster, but I can't keep it up for more than 5 miles, at that point I'm walking so slow it doesn't help my pace any.

Yeah, you have to jog to get that pace. Right now, I'm paced to hit intervals after so many miles of running. I try not to run up hills. I can get about 6-8 miles before I have to start doing intervals. I do not recommend doing as I do until you've gradually worked up to that. I'm pretty sure I'm taking years off my life in order to compete, anyway.

Clarification: I'm not running with more than 45lbs in my pack. I would like to be capable of running as long as I am currently with a heavier ruck when I have to but we'll see what happens.

I was jogging for a minute, then walking for a minute using the timer on my watch. I think I'm gonna end up with nightmares about that beeping sound lol. I ended up with a really sore Achilles tendon after doing that a few times so I stopped doing it. looks like I need to start again.

If you're having tendon issues from it don't do that. When your muscles start failing that's when you feel it in your tendons and the stress automatically concentrates on joints/tendons, i.e. all of that extra weight will attack your knees and achilles heel.

Listen to your body and don't try it if it's hitting your tendons like that. You'll save yourself the serious injury.

I'm finishing up a two day Semper Fit Combat Fitness Course today. For the most part I'm doing it to help me review my school work, (I'm doing personal trainer certs through Tuition Assistance,) but it is giving me some decent ideas for how to ramp up my current program. I'm thinking I'd like to add some Olympic-style lifts 3x a week to increase my explosive power.

Start off with some squats, deadlifts, and shoulder press-type stuff. Graduate to clean and press when I feel comfortable with all three of those.

I have also switched from chin-ups to overhand pull ups (finally) and am working to get those up to 20+ before mid-September. It shouldn't be a problem because I'm starting with my current max at 15.

I'm finishing up a two day Semper Fit Combat Fitness Course today. For the most part I'm doing it to help me review my school work, (I'm doing personal trainer certs through Tuition Assistance,) but it is giving me some decent ideas for how to ramp up my current program. I'm thinking I'd like to add some Olympic-style lifts 3x a week to increase my explosive power.

Start off with some squats, deadlifts, and shoulder press-type stuff. Graduate to clean and press when I feel comfortable with all three of those.

I have also switched from chin-ups to overhand pull ups (finally) and am working to get those up to 20+ before mid-September. It shouldn't be a problem because I'm starting with my current max at 15.

http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-St...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I'd strongly recommend this book, especially if you want to be a personal trainer & if you want to become a CSCS down the road. Science-backed studies. It's pretty dry but it's pretty interesting if you want to read about how to improve strength & conditioning the right way, not just how men's health tells us lol. We'll be using this book a lot in my Strength & Conditioning class in the Winter Semester (I'm an Exercise Science/Athletic Training major).

Good luck with your training & keep us posted on what all you are doing to prep.

Semper.

Is Friday, I've got another question for you. Did anyone get dropped from ASPOC, or A&S (if you can say) for being outside height an weight standards?

I'm pushing the limit for my height and it's been an issue for the entire time I've been in the Corps. I've never been a fat body, I'm just short as hell and the H&W standard doesn't jive with my body type. My 1stsgt has been on my ass about losing weight, and that's not gonna happen unless I'm willing to run slower and do fewer pull ups because I'm starving :)

I can't talk about A&S.

At ASPOC though--no. It's about performance. It's obvious to anyone with a brain whether or not you're in shape or not based on your performance.

You said you're starving, i.e. eating less than you should be? If you are, then your body automatically stores all the food you consume as a fat because your mind thinks you are literally starving. If you're going to be putting yourself through a rigorous training program you need to eat a plentiful amount of the right food groups. (Fruits & veggies!)

http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-St...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I'd strongly recommend this book, especially if you want to be a personal trainer & if you want to become a CSCS down the road. Science-backed studies. It's pretty dry but it's pretty interesting if you want to read about how to improve strength & conditioning the right way, not just how men's health tells us lol. We'll be using this book a lot in my Strength & Conditioning class in the Winter Semester (I'm an Exercise Science/Athletic Training major).

Good luck with your training & keep us posted on what all you are doing to prep.

Semper.
The personal trainer course I have right now is written by Hatfield, (one of the contributors toward that book.) Thanks. I'll check it out in the future.

I can't talk about A&S.

At ASPOC though--no. It's about performance. It's obvious to anyone with a brain whether or not you're in shape or not based on your performance.

You said you're starving, i.e. eating less than you should be? If you are, then your body automatically stores all the food you consume as a fat because your mind thinks you are literally starving. If you're going to be putting yourself through a rigorous training program you need to eat a plentiful amount of the right food groups. (Fruits & veggies!)

No I'm not starving, but I think my 1stsgt expects me too in order to lose the weight the Corps has decided I don't need. Thanks for the quick reply. I had assumed that this was the one place in the whole Marine Corps where common sense was more common. I'm glad to hear that's true.

I feel your pain. I'm 74" and 221lbs of raw steel and sex appeal :cool:, but according to the Marine Corps I'm over my max weight of 214 lbs. Now if my gut was hanging over my trousers then obviously I'm out of shape and disgusting. But considering I haven't run below a 270 PFT in over 8 years, one below 275 was a fluke, and look like a freaking poster boy for the Marine Corps in my Chucks you'd think common since would apply, it doesn't. I still get tapped and since my neck isn't particularly thick my BFC is 16% according to the DOD not too far from the max. Funny thing is that when I got it done professionally with the water displacement I was at 9.8%. Go figure. You should be good as long as you perform.

Back