MARSOC A&S September/October 2011

I know you can't talk about A&S, but how about giving us an idea on the issues YOU had in A&S. I know they give you feedback at the end of the course, which isn't classified. The information they give back is mostly on how/what you need to improve on, right? I'm reporting into ASPOC Sept 14th and of course the A&S course right after.
The counseling session I received at the end of A&S was for me, not for everyone on Shadowspear. The nature of the assessment is individual. My counseling session is not going to help anyone but me. They did not sit me down and say, "Here's what we're looking for and here's what you can tell your friends in order to get selected."

I understand you're just looking for "tips" or whatever, but the bottom line is that either you get selected because you are the type of Marine that they want or you will not be selected for a variety of reasons that they purposefully choose not to disclose.

I know you can't talk about A&S, but how about giving us an idea on the issues YOU had in A&S. I know they give you feedback at the end of the course, which isn't classified. The information they give back is mostly on how/what you need to improve on, right? I'm reporting into ASPOC Sept 14th and of course the A&S course right after.

How about giving an intro, per the membership rules?

The counseling session I received at the end of A&S was for me, not for everyone on Shadowspear. The nature of the assessment is individual. My counseling session is not going to help anyone but me. They did not sit me down and say, "Here's what we're looking for and here's what you can tell your friends in order to get selected."

I understand you're just looking for "tips" or whatever, but the bottom line is that either you get selected because you are the type of Marine that they want or you will not be selected for a variety of reasons that they purposefully choose not to disclose.

Well said. To add to that, it defeats the purpose of having an assessment and selection if the candidates being assessed already know the answer to the question. A&S is meant to be tough and unpredictable because what we do is tough and unpredictable. Do you think the Taliban will tell you when they plan to attack, or that the village elder you think is friendly will tell you when he plans to screw you over? If your looking for a simple answer to a problem SOF is probably not for you. Go to A&S, give 100%, and do what you think is right. If you get selected then your what we're looking for. If you don't get selected its nothing personal it doesn't mean your not a good Marine it just means that at least for right now you don't have the qualities MARSOC is looking for. SOF is not for everyone.

I think I've already said this on these forums, but I will reiterate that all the Marines that I met at A&S the first time I went were rockstars. Hands down, they were best Marines I've ever had the pleasure of working with... and my professional impression of them is most of the reason why I want to continue trying.

http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/pages/info/

Hey WEASELTRON, how about reading and following the rules before you post? Interesting that 2 of your 4 sentences start with "I know". ;)

How about giving an intro, per the membership rules?

Note taken on reading the "rules" of a forum. <and a bunch of other stuff no one cares about>

If A&S has a "situational awareness" or "attention to detail" portion, I predict you will fail it miserably. The second person to remind you about an intro post is one of the owners of the site, and all you can say is "note taken," and then you do nothing about it? And you think you're going to make it in SOF... :-|

You are two posts in and you are already coming across as an egotistical prick. If your very next post isn't an intro as specified in the rules that you keep discarding, I will ensure you are banned from the site forever. If you break any site rule in the next 30 days, same thing. Stay or go, your choice. You don't come on to our site, flout our rules, and disrespect our members.

Will one of the many Marines we have on the site PLEASE help this young man offline before he steps on his crank again and gets perma-banned?

edit: never mind, once again I'm too late to save a new member from himself. Carry on, gentlemen.

Question on the 10wk training routine - I'm unsure what the hell it means by "6 mile run at race pace". I think to myself, ok, race pace means haul ass right? I did that a couple of times, but I burnt through my fuel long before the end of the 6 miles, so it's safe to say I lost all of those races :confused:. The other day (yesterday) I paced myself and did alright, BUT I still had some fuel left. I'm a little concerned about how fast we're supposed to be running the 6 miles in... Is there a median that we should be at, like 40 min? Any guidance is appreciated;).

To be honest I'm not sure, either. So far as I gathered from the prep course and the prep guide, though--you need some sprints, some slow paced runs, and some in betweens to hit all muscle types/levels of intensity. So just pick three different days to run at different speeds/distances and you should be good.

Do they have you run in boots at all during the prep course?
Fo sho. They do a bit of both. I recommend Bates Lights (since they are getting anal about having EGAs on boots now.) You can burn through them quickly but if you get them soon'ish you should have enough time to break them in and not destroy them by the time the course begins. They make a world of difference. It's kind of hard to have proper running form with heavy boots that make you want to land either flat-footed or turn you into a heel striker. (Heel striking is bad.)

Son of a gun! Welp, I just bought two brand new pairs of Danners that are treating me very well so far. I'm actually impressed on how much of a turn around they have shown me since I broke them in. As far as running in boots goes - I've only done it during land nav, and when I ruck. Looks like I'll be doing tomorrow's 400m's in boots...:cool:

Do they give us land nav classes in ASPOC? If so, do we go out and do individual land nav on their course, and what are the rules (roads are free game/stay off of roads/only allowed to kill one rabbit per meal). I ask because in the gear list it said that we weren't allowed to bring protractors, and those are a must, you know.... I mean, I don't know about you but I can't eye a point in a 1 : 25,000 grid, and I sure as hell can't figure out an azimuth to walk:ROFLMAO:.

You'll be given everything you need, don't worry about that. They don't expect you to roll up into the prep course like Tommy Lee Jones and track down Benicio Del Toro. Yes, they will teach you to landnav during the prep course.

The emails from the admin at ASPOC are stressing that most Marines seem to be struggling with land nav during the course (you probably read that one, and the invite to the BBQ, haha). The Green Berets have a great training facility out here, and their land nav course is top notch when it comes to dense terrain/unforgiving obstacles, so I've been wondering around the woods after work and on my weekends. I'm just trying to fine tune my style though and if need be limit the amount of roads I use when finding my points incase at the prep course we aren't allowed to use roads, you know?

The emails from the admin at ASPOC are stressing that most Marines seem to be struggling with land nav during the course (you probably read that one, and the invite to the BBQ, haha). The Green Berets have a great training facility out here, and their land nav course is top notch when it comes to dense terrain/unforgiving obstacles, so I've been wondering around the woods after work and on my weekends. I'm just trying to fine tune my style though and if need be limit the amount of roads I use when finding my points incase at the prep course we aren't allowed to use roads, you know?
I haven't been at work in a week+ now because I'm on leave, so I haven't gotten that e-mail.

Oops - You're dealing with West Coast MarSOC recruiters, I'm East. That explains why you didn't get it last month. Anyway, they stressed maturity issues and land nav, as well as ensuring we ruck like the routine says to. Now you've got an idea of what the East Coast Marines are being fed.

What do you use in your ruck?

Guys - jumping in from the outside... have you thought about joining Orienteering Teams in your respective AOs? that is a great way to get the land nav and the running into a single operation while fueling your competitive spirit...

here's a wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orienteering

and the Orienteering USA site: http://orienteeringusa.org/

navigating away at high speed now....

Oops - You're dealing with West Coast MarSOC recruiters, I'm East. That explains why you didn't get it last month. Anyway, they stressed maturity issues and land nav, as well as ensuring we ruck like the routine says to. Now you've got an idea of what the East Coast Marines are being fed.

I just put a 45lb dumbbell in an assault pack with some other shit to stabilize the weight. I've been meaning to grab a proper ruck but there's something hardcore about rucking without a seatbelt or any real support that I like. (i.e. I just keep forgetting to load up my real pack.)

x SF med: That is fucking awesome. I am definitely hitting that up later this month. Thank you. :)

Two options for your ruck. It use to be, at least for Recon and Snipers, that a sand bag rolled with duck tape was put into the radio pouch of a mountain ruck. That's one option. I would suggest using primarily actual gear water and food since this will better distribute the weight and reflects reality and combine that with a smaller sand bag to meet your weight. Pluse it will give you practice on packing your ruck. A ruck that is packed all f'd up will wear you out mentally and physically pretty quick. Use everything you would use for real to make your weight. A pair of cammies, socks, foot care kit, maybe a poncho liner, water, food, and a smaller sand bag in your radio pouch.

Two options for your ruck. It use to be, at least for Recon and Snipers, that a sand bag rolled with duck tape was put into the radio pouch of a mountain ruck. That's one option. I would suggest using primarily actual gear water and food since this will better distribute the weight and reflects reality and combine that with a smaller sand bag to meet your weight. Pluse it will give you practice on packing your ruck. A ruck that is packed all f'd up will wear you out mentally and physically pretty quick. Use everything you would use for real to make your weight. A pair of cammies, socks, foot care kit, maybe a poncho liner, water, food, and a smaller sand bag in your radio pouch.
That's exactly what I've been doing, minus the sand bag. I bought my very own 5 gallon water jug, drew a smily face on it, and shoved that pig in my ruck:thumbsup:. If it's a Thursday, I pack my cammies, boots, camel pak and chow in it for the day also, and ruck my happy ass to work (live on a different base than I where I work). On weekend rucks, I still throw my cammies and boots in there to help stabilize the pig. I will definitely start packing a medical kit in there too, cause thats just brilliant. Who knows what could happen. Thanks for the tip!

Back