MARSOC A&S September/October 2011

When I went through earlier this year they were forbidding Marines from "modifying" their packs in order to make them more comfortable like that. You'll just have to suffer through it once you get there, HolyBear.

Well it is what it is. The good new is it won't kill you. If it becomes that big of a problem you could try the mole skin over the areas that are getting rubbed. Just have to make sure its big enough that the ruck won't peel it of from any of the sides.

I just read Hitman's previous post,
You could always make a piece of Isomat with belt loops then run you belt through it so it sits under your packs waist strap. It'll look retarded, but hey you didn't modify the pack... :)

Holy bear I know what you mean. I have an Alice pack that I hump with and the kidney pads always leave some pretty wicked sore sports on my sides. I don't know what your wearing when you hump, but I found that a smooth moisture wicking shirt (read Under Armor) helps. Instead of grabbing my skin it just slides around over the top and doesn't leave me nearly as sore. I haven't tried wearing a blouse over the top, I'll give it a try on my next hump and tell you how it goes.

I've had this issue for a while now. It only happens when I go on long rucks though, the small 5 milers don't bother me. I don't feel anything when I'm rucking, but after my clothes stick to my sides, and when I sleep I stick to my bed which makes for a nasty mess to clean up in the morning. It would be awesome if come Assessment I have callosed sides, haha dragon style!

Isfriday/03 - How do you two think you'll do with being in teams? Do you get along/work well with others?

Honestly, I'm not worried about how I'll fit in on a team yet, A&S is first. But since you asked-

I'm looking forward to working alongside people that love their jobs, and are truly good at what they do. I know that being around people like that will make me work harder and push myself further. I think I work well with others, but I do keep to myself a lot of the time. I was that nerdy kid at school that knew everything about Star Trek... Now I'm that nerdy Marine that knows all these obscure stories from the history of the Corps, or picks up a new piece of equipment and gets all excited and is like "Wow, I've read about these, Are we getting them issued?!"

I dunno how I'm gonna do on a Team. I'm sure I'll find a niche.

The word I've received from SF guys is that there are team events in A&S. It makes sense because we're trying out for an elite field of work that involves small detachments (ranging in numbers) working together to accomplish missions in special operations. From what I've learned working in small detachments, there is absolutely zero room for conflicting personalities or narcissistic individuals. You either all click like clock work, or crumble like a house of poorly stacked cards. I enjoy working in team settings, because there is that sense that everyone is thinking/feeling in unison, and once that's observed/mastered the team becomes deadly as hell no matter how adverse the environment is.

As for star trek, I can't say that I was into the show, but when I was little I use to sit with my face against the TV during the beginning of the show and when the ship would blast towards the screen, I'd roll backwards like it blew me away from the TV, that shit was a rush!

The word I've received from SF guys is that there are team events in A&S. It makes sense because we're trying out for an elite field of work that involves small detachments (ranging in numbers) working together to accomplish missions in special operations. From what I've learned working in small detachments, there is absolutely zero room for conflicting personalities or narcissistic individuals. You either all click like clock work, or crumble like a house of poorly stacked cards. I enjoy working in team settings, because there is that sense that everyone is thinking/feeling in unison, and once that's observed/mastered the team becomes deadly as hell no matter how adverse the environment is.

As for star trek, I can't say that I was into the show, but when I was little I use to sit with my face against the TV during the beginning of the show and when the ship would blast towards the screen, I'd roll backwards like it blew me away from the TV, that shit was a rush!

I thought you meant after A&S :)

I know what you mean about how deadly a team can be. I love those moments when your team pulls off something awesome without even trying... I love that feeling. I'm gonna sound like a boot but-I've had my fire team perform flawlessly on ranges and afterwards it's such a good high.

I don't know how the team events will play out. I can't imagine a ton of straight up assholes and douche-bags making it very far in A&S. I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine that happening. It just doesn't fit. I really don't see myself, tired, hurting, hot, and probably hungry wasting energy fighting with anyone on my team, regardless of how much I don't like them. I know for sure I'll be thinking about how to accomplish the mission without expending any more energy than is necessary though :)

Sounds like we've both experienced team oriented training, which is awesome!:thumbsup:

How many times have you guys puked on yourselves during the 10wk program? (Holybear=1 pool session/1 Short Card session)

Not that it's necessary, since hitman & is friday are giving such awesome advice, but I found an ebook from National Strength & Conditioning Association that deals with training the "tactical athlete." It's written for people planning to go to SFAS, but could help in A&S prep as well. Good luck to you all.

http://www.uscg.mil/worklife/docs/pdf/SFAS prep book.pdf
That looks like a pretty good resource. I just glanced through it and I'll give it a more thorough read later. Thanks!

Poking my head in here to ask if any of you have looked at Military Athlete. MA also has a Selection Prep Program that has gotten very good reviews from people who've successfully completed SFAS. Personally, I think the style of training he utilizes is far more beneficial and effective than doing 3 sets of 12 lat pulldowns and curls. PM me if you'd like to take a look at the program.

I've been under the weather for the past couple of days, so I missed the short card double yesterday. Going to get around to that this morning after I eat breakfast.

I've been under the weather for the past couple of days, so I missed the short card double yesterday. Going to get around to that this morning after I eat breakfast.
Good shit. I remember doing the short card when I was congested - big mistake:sick:.

All the best to you during your training in the next couple weeks isfriday/03. I'm heading back to the states here in a couple days to finish up my own preparation in the Sierra's, and to get some good family/camping time in to ease myself before I report in. See you at ASPOC.

My buddy and I completed the 12 miler on Saturday. The thing we have found that bothers us the most on humps is the boredom. But I don't think boredom itself has ever killed anyone...

But it's game time, with ASPOC only a month away. Keep up the work gents.

Haha you all are some warriors!! I'm either going to get smoke checked BAD during A&S, or maybe I'm rucking wrong and need to fix my shit before I go, because what bothers me during rucks is the feeling of Satan smearing his burning gooch on my central nervous system...:confused:

Well the ruck is obviously uncomfortable, but we somehow put it aside. But humping has always been a strong suit of mine, as I'm considerably larger than most.

My buddy and I completed the 12 miler on Saturday. The thing we have found that bothers us the most on humps is the boredom. But I don't think boredom itself has ever killed anyone...

But it's game time, with ASPOC only a month away. Keep up the work gents.

To combat the boredom I sing songs to myself, usually Christmas songs... I know it sounds retarded but it seems to take my mind off things. Either that or I pray really hard that I'll finish within my goal time. :)

We've been cheating for the double digit hikes and bringing iPods, but other than that I let my mind wonder. Or like you said, sing random songs.

We've been cheating for the double digit hikes and bringing iPods, but other than that I let my mind wonder. Or like you said, sing random songs.

I think everyone in my neighborhood thinks I'm nuts. I'm the crazy short kid up at the crack of dawn singing jingle bells under my breath and running down the road with a pack on.

I think I'm in a pretty good place with my cardio. I ran the second half of my 10 miler ruck this past Saturday and became too fatigued to continue running (at the finish) before I ran out of breath. Anything short of sprints for an extended period or the short card at a very fast pace (15 minutes or less,) does not wear down my cardiovascular system.

I'm still working on getting my last 1-2 pull ups. I'm stuck around 18-19 after switching from chin ups to overhand. Going to standard pull ups was the best decision of my Marine Corps career and I should have made the switch years ago.

My swimming still sucks. I'm going to make an effort to get into the pool 2-3 times a week instead of once.

Back