MARSOC A&S September/October 2011

is friday

I'm a professional.
Verified Military
Oorah gents. I'll be re-attending A&S, (hopefully in Sept. but my orders aren't official due to some hiccup in the paperwork process...) and wanted to bring together the candidates in this thread for some cooperation. I'm on Camp Pendleton right now until I leave and run a lot of MCMAP courses (particularly on Saturdays) that will help out your ruck times and overall fitness.

I'm also getting together with a few Marines that went through my first class or one prior to me that were selected to get some fine tuning done.

I encourage anyone that's going to be hooking and jabbing over there with me to link up with me or if you're in another area of the Corps to post your sitreps--ask for advice if you need it. I don't have all the answers, but I've made enough friends to get anyone help for everything necessary. I cannot and will not tell you what "goes on" at A&S--I can talk about the prep course all day, though. (They actually encouraged me to.)

Let's get some espirit de corps up in this thread.

I'll go ahead and toss out some of my times as I follow the prep guide plus whatever "extra" stuff I'm doing.

A&S Short Card, 13:50 not including pull ups. (Going to have to switch over to doing it twice. Damn it, that's going to suck.)
300m swim in cammies, 13:20. (Still trying to get back down to 11:30 or better.)
4 mile run in BnY, flak (2 sappies), ammo can (50 cal can filled w/ dirt,) rubber duck, 40:50.

I got out right about when MarSoc came to be. Whats the indoc process like? Im not familiar with the new PT test either, but from what I gathered on a few articles, that sounds like what your kinda describing.

is friday, what does the A&S Short Card consist of? I don't know if you can share that with the group but it sounds like an arse kicker. Is it anything like the BUD/S card?

is friday, what does the A&S Short Card consist of? I don't know if you can share that with the group but it sounds like an arse kicker. Is it anything like the BUD/S card?
Yeah, that is public knowledge. It's just calisthenics "for time" like Crossfit.

30 push ups
30 air squats
30 crunches
10 burpees

30 push ups
30 mountain climbers
30 flutter kicks
10 burpees

30 push ups
30 star jumpers
30 back extensions
10 burpees

30 push ups
30 lunges
30 hello dollies
10 burpees

3 sets of max pull ups.

I put my hands at 45 degrees for the lower body exercises you execute on your back instead of under the ass. Makes for a better core work out.

I got out right about when MarSoc came to be. Whats the indoc process like? Im not familiar with the new PT test either, but from what I gathered on a few articles, that sounds like what your kinda describing.
I can tell you about the prep course but not A&S. The prep course was basically being treated like a college athlete. All we did was work out and learn about working out/other stuff. We had experienced folks from the SOF community mentoring us.

what does A&S stand for?

Reason im asking is because, being Army, ive debated the 18 series community, but I am not sure if I want to do that, for whatever reason, I like the USMC way of thinkin and acting a bit better. I recently saw a MARSOC proccess going down at a local training area and the thought crossed my mind to go back to the true green side. Are there specific MARSOC recruiters that I would need to contact, obviously i need to talk to a reg recruiter to get me in, but i'd want to know about that first. Any info is appreciated

what does A&S stand for?

Reason im asking is because, being Army, ive debated the 18 series community, but I am not sure if I want to do that, for whatever reason, I like the USMC way of thinkin and acting a bit better. I recently saw a MARSOC proccess going down at a local training area and the thought crossed my mind to go back to the true green side. Are there specific MARSOC recruiters that I would need to contact, obviously i need to talk to a reg recruiter to get me in, but i'd want to know about that first. Any info is appreciated

It stands for Assessment and Selection.

I can't tell you about A&S. I can tell you that you'll swim quite a bit in the prep course, though.

I'm headed to ASPOC the same time as you and I was wondering if you could fill me in on what the prep course is like. I'm assuming from the gear list that you get liberty on the weekends, and I'm guessing that it's PT all day broken up with a few classes and chow. Any info would be appreciated.

Myself and 2 other Marines in my unit have orders for September. We're security forces, so I'm not sure how that is going to differ than someone from the fleet.

Mac21- I don't know how it's going to work for you but I know how it works for me, and I have a feeling it goes this way for everyone. I go to ASPOC, then A&S, then no matter what, Selected or not, I go back to my unit. If your selected you have to wait until there is an available slot at the ITC (I don't know how long that takes, it could be right away). The only other thing I know is that there is the usual holiday leave block for ITC so the first course after the Sep/Oct A&S is sometime the beginning of next year.

I hope that info is helpful.

what does A&S stand for?

Did an SF guy hurt your feelings or something?

Mac21- I don't know how it's going to work for you but I know how it works for me, and I have a feeling it goes this way for everyone. I go to ASPOC, then A&S, then no matter what, Selected or not, I go back to my unit. If your selected you have to wait until there is an available slot at the ITC (I don't know how long that takes, it could be right away). The only other thing I know is that there is the usual holiday leave block for ITC so the first course after the Sep/Oct A&S is sometime the beginning of next year.

I hope that info is helpful.

My previous post was pretty vague, but I already knew the process. By saying " I'm not sure how that is going to differ than someone from the fleet," I meant more along the lines of having the infantry mindset instead of the security mindset that I've had for the past 2 years. I do appreciate the reply though.

My previous post was pretty vague, but I already knew the process. By saying " I'm not sure how that is going to differ than someone from the fleet," I meant more along the lines of having the infantry mindset instead of the security mindset that I've had for the past 2 years. I do appreciate the reply though.

No worries.

I keep hearing that more POGs (I'm not dogging on anyone here) and Reservists get selected than Grunts. That may not be true, but I can easily see how it could be the case. If anyone runs across any articles or info to prove that I'd love to read it.

Back