McGregor/Mayweather Fight

Big fan of passionate discussion, not so much a fan of name calling and generally being a dick. Only warning for everyone.

The real question- why would Conor go back to $2m purses on a sport (MMA) where you can actually get hurt?? Looking at Conor's face joking around with Floyd in the post fight and comparing that to how he looked after Diaz 1... there's no way I fight UFC again.

Reportedly Conor made upwards of $130 million, that puts Money at well over the $200 million mark.

Big fan of passionate discussion, not so much a fan of name calling and generally being a dick. Only warning for everyone.

The real question- why would Conor go back to $2m purses on a sport (MMA) where you can actually get hurt?? Looking at Conor's face joking around with Floyd in the post fight and comparing that to how he looked after Diaz 1... there's no way I fight UFC again.

Reportedly Conor made upwards of $130 million, that puts Money at well over the $200 million mark.

You think Conor goes pro for the money? I think MMA is a way bigger passion of his than boxing is, but more than just the money, is the post event hangover now. Who does Conor fight in the UFC that would generate even a modicum of the hype that this fight had. The world press tour, the Pauli M beef, the Corona girls, the other Corona girls, ya know?

I appreciate both fighters. I love how CM fights in the Octagon and appreciate FM boxing skills he displayed over his career.

Coming into the fight CM, in his words said the fight wouldn't last 4rds, 2 rounds, and finally 1rd.

Understand the difference between trash talk and talking out of your ass.

The narrative is CM lasted 10 rds, he did good... fellas he got TKO'd. Are we giving out participation medals. He got TKO'd by a guys 40yrs old, 20lbs lighter, and who is not known by as a KO artist.

Now let's say, he wasn't KO'd. Guys he was dazed, I agree the the fact that his body quit on him, forcing his mind to shut down, displaying an inability to fight is even worse.

The ref saved him. With 2 minutes remaining in the 10th, FM landing 75% of power punches that round, how do we presume this ends?

McGregor was defenseless.

Saying he won 4 rounds. I challenge anyone to rewatch the fight. Specifically from the 3rd. All judges took that round away from McGregor because it was a shit show. From the 4th, 45 secs in to each round CM couldn't throw punches, unless rabbit or slap.

What was also a reality is this big KO artist has no power in the ring.

If you just acknowledge FM's game plan, watch FMs corner during each round, it's clear.

Or ignore it all.

I enjoyed the fight. Entertained by both. It's a win for both sports and athletes.

It's really bizarre reading a lot of these comments because it's obvious the respect is there for CM and not FM.

For myself- don't confuse an objective evaluation of Floyd and disrespect. Dominating this fight is Floyd winning every round and knocking Conor out in less than 6. Just because we say, 'Floyd is supposed to be this never before seen wizard he looked pretty mortal against a guy with no fights' isn't disrespect.

The contention that Floyd carried Conor is a little odd. He almost carried Conor right to the 12th and a judges scorecard, which would have shown he only won 8 rounds, maybe less.

I hope this helps revolutionize UFC from a fighter stand point.

If I'm CM, I don't fight for less than 8mil purse, I need some return in PPV sales, an all access type show. Become the face of the UFC in every way possible.

CM just increased the popularity of UFC through this fight

I appreciate both fighters. I love how CM fights in the Octagon and appreciate FM boxing skills he displayed over his career.

Coming into the fight CM, in his words said the fight wouldn't last 4rds, 2 rounds, and finally 1rd.

The narrative is CM lasted 10 rds, he did good... fellas he got TKO'd. Are we giving out participation medals. He got TKO'd by a guys 40yrs old, 20lbs lighter, and who is not known by as a KO artist.

Now let's say, he wasn't KO'd. Guys he was dazed, I agree the the fact that his body quit on him, forcing his mind to shut down, displaying an inability to fight is even worse.

The ref saved him. With 2 minutes remaining in the 10th, FM landing 75% of power punches that round, how do we presume this ends?

Saying he won 4 rounds. I challenge anyone to rewatch the fight. Specifically from the 3rd. All judges took that round away from McGregor because it was a shit show. From the 4th, 45 secs in to each round CM couldn't throw punches, unless rabbit or slap.

If you just acknowledge FM's game plan, watch FMs corner during each round, it's clear.

Or ignore it all.

I enjoyed the fight. Entertained by both. It's a win for both sports and athletes.

They both talked out of their ass, if you want to separate specific comments as shit talking. Floyd said he would fight in the octagon, fight with 4 oz. gloves, etc. Again, all part of the game. Conor ended up being wrong, but I think he 100% believed he could KO FM inside 4 rounds. I've never seen anyone with a self belief like CM has.

I thought the stoppage was early, but either way CM was going to lose the fight. That being said, no one is handing out a participation medal. The fact is that a complete amateur fought the arguably greatest boxer ever, and took it 10 rounds. Not too shabby.

For myself- don't confuse an objective evaluation of Floyd and disrespect. Dominating this fight is Floyd winning every round and knocking Conor out in less than 6. Just because we say, 'Floyd is supposed to be this never before seen wizard he looked pretty mortal against a guy with no fights' isn't disrespect.

The contention that Floyd carried Conor is a little odd. He almost carried Conor right to the 12th and a judges scorecard, which would have shown he only won 8 rounds, maybe less.

Don't confuse me saying there's a lack of respect means utter disrespect. But disregard, yes.

Go look at the judges score cards, they say 2/3 says FM won every Rd but the 1st.

1/3 gives CM the first 3.

So, he didn't almost carry CM to the 12th, he TKO'd him a minute into the 10th.

Just as FM said, he's not who he was 2, 4,6, or 10 years ago but had enough to beat CM. That's fact.

They both talked out of their ass, if you want to separate specific comments as shit talking. Floyd said he would fight in the octagon, fight with 4 oz. gloves, etc. Again, all part of the game. Conor ended up being wrong, but I think he 100% believed he could KO FM inside 4 rounds. I've never seen anyone with a self belief like CM has.

I thought the stoppage was early, but either way CM was going to lose the fight. That being said, no one is handing out a participation medal. The fact is that a complete amateur fought the arguably greatest boxer ever, and took it 10 rounds. Not too shabby.

So, he fought the best boxer ever (arguably) at 40 with a 2 year layoff.

Remember when Royce fought MH?

Or Ali v Holmes

I understand this doesn't correlate exactly but my point is hanging with the best ever, when they are 6 years out of their prime... come on man. Stop

So, he fought the best boxer ever (arguably) at 40 with a 2 year layoff.

Remember when Royce fought MH?

Or Ali v Holmes

I understand this doesn't correlate exactly but my point is hanging with the best ever, when they are 6 years out of their prime... come on man. Stop

You're only acknowledging one side of the argument. If that's how you want to play it, cool. I don't get why people are so intent on acting like this was a total epic fail for Conor.

You're only acknowledging one side of the argument. If that's how you want to play it, cool. I don't get why people are so intent on acting like this was a total epic fail for Conor.

It was not an epic fail, not at all. Please re-read all my comments.

CM did not go out there and embarrass himself.

He and the UFC will do amazing numbers after this. BUT

He did not hurt Floyd once, only landed 111 punches because FM stood in front of him. Landed 111 punches and didn't even cut FM and had failing cardio from the 4th round on. Fact.

I'm pissed CM doesn't have real punching power comparable to 140lb boxers, I was lead to believe he did. Lol

From round 1 it was clear CM was not going to KO FM

He did not hurt Floyd once, only landed 111 punches because FM stood in front of him. Landed 111 punches and didn't even cut FM and had failing cardio from the 4th round on. Fact.

I'm kinda sorta willing to concede some of this to you. I would disagree that CM's cardio was shit from the 4th on...I thought he looked pretty solid until later into the 6th or 7th.

@Locksteady, it's clear you have some sort of emotional attachment to this fight.
It seems clear that many people did, based on their responses on this thread. This is the equivalent of noticing that oxygen is a component of the air we breathe.
Whether it's unrequited love for Conor that you just won't admit, or an MMA guy kicked the shit of you at some point, or whatever it is, just chill the fuck out.
Does that mean stop posting embarrassing image-based and video evidence of McGregor's battery? Does that mean stop presenting strong and unpopular views about his performance in this thread? Why are you responding so strongly to either of the above?
CM didn't get schooled. Shit talking is part of the game, and Floyd was in the unique position of being out talked during the press conferences. You're making ridiculous arguments, so give it a rest.
Arguments don't need to be made in light of video evidence, but there is no fault in pointing out what happened to lead to those results. He predictably fell into the trap of an experienced boxer who let him wear himself out with weak arm punches for a few rounds, pulled him into deep water, and then surgically took him apart when he decided to start swinging back in any serious way five rounds into the fight.

Result: Mayweather's punch shut down McGregor's mouth.

The 4th round is when FM walking down CM gets obvious, regard for what CM has to offer.

Additionally CM mouth is open, hands are very low.

Last 30 seconds of the 4th, he's lunging at FM to hug

Alright. I thought I was pretty fucking clear.

@Locksteady , leave it alone. If everyone's telling you you're being a dick, it's a good probability that you're actually being a dick. Alter your tone going forward.

Everyone else with a tag that isn't red, go about your business.

Alright. I thought I was pretty fucking clear.

@Locksteady , leave it alone. If everyone's telling you you're being a dick, it's a good probability that you're actually being a dick. Alter your tone going forward.

Everyone else with a tag that isn't red, go about your business.
Copy that. Back in my lane.

Reading this thread and thinking about the amount of collective fitness/combat knowledge on this site, I am amazed at some of the comments. It's quite obvious that those who box/grew up boxing feel vindicated, and now, have proof to throw in the face of every cocksucker that takes MMA classes for 6 months then talks about how boxing/(insert inferior form of martial arts here) ain't shit, and wouldn't last 10 seconds in MMA. That's great, the outcome that everyone kind of expected, but really didn't hope for because no one likes Mayweather, happened.

Now, really think about this from a perspective that we continuously hear given to wannabe's. SAID-principle. Wanna get better at running, rucking, or fucking? Do that. We constantly hear stories about the old man who whoops the young highschool sports stud at something they've been doing for 10, 12, even 15 years. "They're half my age". Well yea, you've been doing [insert here] for how many years now? Your localized muscular endurance is specifically trained for that, your neural pathways fire together much faster and with less effort, and your energy systems are prepared for that type of activity. You absolutely should be better than that young man at said event. You've been doing it for years. Go beat them at their game.

I'll use myself for example. I can embarrass my dad in just about any aspect of fitness because I've been training for a while now, have 30 pounds on him, and he's smoked for 35 years. Now, put us in the woods running a chainsaw all day, and the old man will work circles around me for weeks to come. Why? Because he did that for the majority of his adult life. He knows the perfect angle to cut, how to hold the saw for better leverage, and just all around knowledge that only comes from repeated experience. Same for the big badass that gets his ass whooped in Jiu-Jitsu for the first time by someone significantly smaller and probably carrying a little something around the mid-section.

To Mayweather and McGregor. For nearly 30 years, Mayweather trained nothing but throwing punches and defending against them for extended bouts of time. 30 YEARS, no defending against kicks, takedowns, grappling, or putting that all together. Just "bobbing and weaving" and punching. Not only that, but he was the absolute best in the entire fucking world at what he did. He clearly should win. Bragging about it is like bragging that Michael Phelps beat Usain Bolt in the pool. Both phenomenal athletes, but again SAID.

I also saw something about Conor's punching power compared to people much smaller than him. According to research, it takes years and years of focused training for an athlete to reach roughly 95% of his body's full athletic potential. Before the fight they posted the "stats" for each fighter. I, too, was surprised to see that Conor had a 70% power rating, and Mayweather had something like 90%+ given everything that I've heard about McGregor's power. Thinking about it now though, that's roughly the difference between a 500lb and a 700lb+ deadlift. Incredible difference. Add that to the same difference in speed and precision. It's a recipe for disaster. As far as Mayweather coming out of retirement. Give a legitimately competitive marathon runner a year and a half off, then six months to train again. He'll be in the top 20% again no doubt.

So yes, the predictable outcome happened. However, McGregor stood in the ring and lasted damn near the entire fight against the undisputed champion of the world given the ridiculous differences in preparedness and training. Mother fucker showed some true grit and should be commended. McGregor has nothing left to prove and should have earned the respect of even those that don't like him. On the other hand, I remember being confused during the first round because it didn't even look like Mayweather threw a punch in the first round. Sitting and thinking about it now, at that level, a little cockiness and a dropped guard can result in your ass on the mat. Mayweather wasn't letting that happen either.

Or ignore it all.

Again, maybe my standards of boxing are skewed. But when you bend over, turn around and cover up like Floyd did that's not dominating the sport. The referee was definitely garbage and the judges were garbage.

Did Floyd win, yep, sure as shit did. First Three rounds were all Conor, four and five contentious but I'll give Floyd. The last five, all Floyd. And yet McGregor is barely bruised. That's not domination. Domination is an actual knock out early. Floyd is the greatest defensive boxer ever at the moment, and he just let an amateur last ten rounds, is that not a joke to you? There's literally no reason for him to let it go that far...unless...unless McGregor pushed him. Which is what happened. I'm a boxing and MMA fan, but pure boxing fans kill me with their takes like this.

Reading this thread and thinking about the amount of collective fitness/combat knowledge on this site, I am amazed at some of the comments. It's quite obvious that those who box/grew up boxing feel vindicated, and now, have proof to throw in the face of every cocksucker that takes MMA classes for 6 months then talks about how boxing/(insert inferior form of martial arts here) ain't shit, and wouldn't last 10 seconds in MMA. That's great, the outcome that everyone kind of expected, but really didn't hope for because no one likes Mayweather, happened.

Now, really think about this from a perspective that we continuously hear given to wannabe's. SAID-principle. Wanna get better at running, rucking, or fucking? Do that. We constantly hear stories about the old man who whoops the young highschool sports stud at something they've been doing for 10, 12, even 15 years. "They're half my age". Well yea, you've been doing [insert here] for how many years now? Your localized muscular endurance is specifically trained for that, your neural pathways fire together much faster and with less effort, and your energy systems are prepared for that type of activity. You absolutely should be better than that young man at said event. You've been doing it for years. Go beat them at their game.

I'll use myself for example. I can embarrass my dad in just about any aspect of fitness because I've been training for a while now, have 30 pounds on him, and he's smoked for 35 years. Now, put us in the woods running a chainsaw all day, and the old man will work circles around me for weeks to come. Why? Because he did that for the majority of his adult life. He knows the perfect angle to cut, how to hold the saw for better leverage, and just all around knowledge that only comes from repeated experience. Same for the big badass that gets his ass whooped in Jiu-Jitsu for the first time by someone significantly smaller and probably carrying a little something around the mid-section.

To Mayweather and McGregor. For nearly 30 years, Mayweather trained nothing but throwing punches and defending against them for extended bouts of time. 30 YEARS, no defending against kicks, takedowns, grappling, or putting that all together. Just "bobbing and weaving" and punching. Not only that, but he was the absolute best in the entire fucking world at what he did. He clearly should win. Bragging about it is like bragging that Michael Phelps beat Usain Bolt in the pool. Both phenomenal athletes, but again SAID.

I also saw something about Conor's punching power compared to people much smaller than him. According to research, it takes years and years of focused training for an athlete to reach roughly 95% of his body's full athletic potential. Before the fight they posted the "stats" for each fighter. I, too, was surprised to see that Conor had a 70% power rating, and Mayweather had something like 90%+ given everything that I've heard about McGregor's power. Thinking about it now though, that's roughly the difference between a 500lb and a 700lb+ deadlift. Incredible difference. Add that to the same difference in speed and precision. It's a recipe for disaster. As far as Mayweather coming out of retirement. Give a legitimately competitive marathon runner a year and a half off, then six months to train again. He'll be in the top 20% again no doubt.

So yes, the predictable outcome happened. However, McGregor stood in the ring and lasted damn near the entire fight against the undisputed champion of the world given the ridiculous differences in preparedness and training. Mother fucker showed some true grit and should be commended. McGregor has nothing left to prove and should have earned the respect of even those that don't like him. On the other hand, I remember being confused during the first round because it didn't even look like Mayweather threw a punch in the first round. Sitting and thinking about it now, at that level, a little cockiness and a dropped guard can result in your ass on the mat. Mayweather wasn't letting that happen either.

Awesome post.

Back