McGregor/Mayweather Fight

But, Mayweather did the proper plan for the situation, which was a weardown. Conor's primary best plan was to go for an earlier TKO/KO but he couldn't seal the deal on that.
Assuming you think he came in expecting to win, then that was an utterly stupid plan on his part. If you're at all serious about winning, you don't go in on your first professional boxing match planning on sealing an early TKO/KO against a 20-year undefeated defensive genius of a boxing champion. Part of me is convinced he deliberately played his own fans by responding to their T/KO pipedreams by training for and claiming that as his winning strategy. And after he lost it'll be very easy to claim that was his strategy all along - what will be harder is for some of those previously ride-or-die fans to stick to and admit the real hopes they had for him actually managing to win.

Assuming you think he came in expecting to win, then that was an utterly stupid plan on his part. If you're at all serious about winning, you don't go in on your first professional boxing match planning on sealing an early TKO/KO against a 20-year undefeated defensive genius of a boxing champion. Part of me is convinced he deliberately played his own fans by responding to their T/KO pipedreams by training for and claiming that as his winning strategy. And after he lost it'll be very easy to claim that was his strategy all along - what will be harder is for some of those previously ride-or-die fans to stick to and admit the real hopes they had for him actually managing to win.

Surely, if you're going into your first professional boxing fight against someone who hasn't lost in 20 years and you aren't actually a boxer... You realise your only chance of beating him is an early KO/TKO?

He knew he couldn't outbox him to a points decision, he knew the longer the fight went on the better the chance of Mayweather settling and starting to dictate things. He had the tiniest chance of winning and that chance was based on an early KO. It didn't happen for him and after the fourth round it was a matter of waiting for the inevitable to happen.

I do think Conor fully believed he could win though. His self belief is unshakeable, almost to the point of being delusional at times. It's what has made him so successful.

What planet do you exist on? Really?

Conor is a great MMA fighter. He started with boxing back in the day apparently then went OOO MMA WRECKSHIT like most prudent combative individuals... and when Mayweather talked some twittershit or whatever, he saw future dollar signs regardless, which is GREAT given that he's BEEN a poor ass motherfucker. Flat out welfare riding and now he's boss tier bankroll.

There's NO fucking way that if you're effectively an amateur, know and accept that you're an amateur in THAT type of sport, that you aren't going to realize and attempt to capitalize on your strong points while also specifically working towards an early termination of the fight... which was that left. It came into play a couple times but all said and done he didn't put that shit on repeat with some wikiwiki scratching on the turntable, instead he let it be a random kick drum and that wasn't enough to last past the dubstep drop of the round 6 bell.

It's not a stupid plan. It's the ONLY FUCKING INTELLIGENT PLAN THERE IS! I mean, let's see what the options truly are in a boxing match:

A: Knock the opponent out, win
B: Go 12 rounds toe to toe, chance a coin flip at the end of the match
C: Go >9 rounds, get wore the fuck out and TKO'ed due to being ballsmoked and beat up (Which we saw)
D: Get KTFO (not a planned nor preferred option)

The only way to avoid B, C, and even D is to execute A more quickly than the other guy. Period. There is NO OTHER OPTION. In a competition scenario, even moreso than in a flat out direct combat hand to hand scenario like some here have been in, the only guaranteed way to win is to dirt nap the opponent, or as close to a dirt nap as the rules allow you to execute. With as defensively talented as Mayweather is, you aren't going to be able to keep up the intensity (especially when you're in a longer than your life fight duration) to not only throw, but get scorable hits, on a dude that can run and dance like Mayweather. Flat out not happening. Your only shot avoiding a decision with boxing judges and you ain't a boxer.. or just getting worn down like your granddads old oversharpened buck knife turned fillet blade, is to land bombs quick so you turn your opponent out like a truckstop lot lizard.

I was rooting for Conor solely out of underdog love. KICK HIS ASS SEABASS! I really pretty much hate boxing because there's way too much cuddlehugging that happens in the vast majority of matches (See: All fights on this card prior to the main event) and you just don't see that as a general rule in MMA. I also chuckled my ass off when I saw some MMA reflexes coming out of Conor in the ring... hammerfists and gaining the back and wailing from there.... Woulda been cool if he won the match, but at least he won in the wallet and also still really didn't look much worse for wear in the interviews... I actually wish the ref had let it go since he was game for letting the fight actually get finished, but I also support the ref because he wasn't really even defending himself well let alone having any replies for what kinda shit was flying his way for the last 30+ seconds of the match.

Also, see
Good Breakdown
above.

After sleeping on it...

If McGregor would have fought a tuneup fight or two prior to tonight, he would have gotten a better handle on his conditioning and destroyed Floyd....

To Add:

I have to wonder, was the fact that they had to put up a 40 year old boxer vs. a talented, but non-boxer UFC fighter, a sign that the 'end is nigh' for professional boxing?

While UFC is selling PPV pretty consistently *, what was the last boxing match that had this kind of appeal? (Mayweather/Pacquiao?)

* This gravy train could end quickly if Dana does not get his house in order. (PED's related)

Last edited:
McG is still the baddest ass motherfucker out there. You drop 2/3 of your arsenal and go into a boxing ring and hold your own against fucking Floyd Mayweather for 10 rounds? That's some hardass grit right there. That boy's got sand.

If McGregor would have fought a tuneup fight or two prior to tonight, he would have gotten a better handle on his conditioning and destroyed Floyd....
Agree. That's what you would normally do if you've been out of the ring for a while (or never been in the ring at all) and want to take a shot at the champ. But just imagine if Connor trained for a year or two, took some tuneup fights against semi-decent fighters and then didn't perform very well. Or even worse, if he lost! The big fight would derail faster than a freight train filled with gasoline headed towards an orphanage. If Connor wasn't able to absolutely destroy the tomato cans they put in front of him for tuneup fights, then ESPN and Deadspin would put out approximately 1.5 million thinkpieces about how Connor isn't ready to fight and blah blah blah. It would be the most insufferable sports news cycle ever and would probably drive away viewers.

A guy who is 0-0 in pro boxing goes against a 49-0 pro boxer and all time great. He goes 10 rounds and wins several of them, while making 30+ million on the way. I think he did really well for himself.

Fair stoppage but that was a cardio TKO.

I was happy to see Mayweather turn it into a fight by moving forward. It made for an enjoyable fight.

After sleeping on it...

To Add:

I have to wonder, was the fact that they had to put up a 40 year old boxer vs. a talented, but non-boxer UFC fighter, a sign that the 'end is nigh' for professional boxing?

While UFC is selling PPV pretty consistently *, what was the last boxing match that had this kind of appeal? (Mayweather/Pacquiao?)

* This gravy train could end quickly if Dana does not get his house in order. (PED's related)

Don't think it's time to start digging pro-boxing's grave...but it's feeling the heat from MMA, no question. I can't remember the last time I dropped a C-note to watch PPV boxing.

Don't think it's time to start digging pro-boxing's grave...but it's feeling the heat from MMA, no question. I can't remember the last time I dropped a C-note to watch PPV boxing.
I watched last night on Periscope after the bars we were going to go to were full to the tits. We went and had a nice dinner at a resto we wanted to check out, had some gelato, and made it home for Mayweather.

The last time I dropped money for a whole PPV was Mayweather-Pacquiao and that was such a waste. I feel last night would not have bee a waste had I paid for it. It was pretty entertaining.

This picture is pretty funny: Markieff on Twitter

I watched last night on Periscope

Help me understand that. Is Periscope where a dude in the crowd is literally viewing the fight with his phone and then broadcasting it to a site where you can view it?

If that's the case, how can you even follow along with what is happening?

Help me understand that. Is Periscope where a dude in the crowd is literally viewing the fight with his phone and then broadcasting it to a site where you can view it?

If that's the case, how can you even follow along with what is happening?

That's only one of the ways it is now used. Twitter has it set up to broadcast high quality stuff so this went through the cloud software being hooked up to a camera that was capturing a TV feed. Basically old school bootlegging.

Surely, if you're going into your first professional boxing fight against someone who hasn't lost in 20 years and you aren't actually a boxer... You realise your only chance of beating him is an early KO/TKO?

He knew he couldn't outbox him to a points decision, he knew the longer the fight went on the better the chance of Mayweather settling and starting to dictate things. He had the tiniest chance of winning and that chance was based on an early KO. It didn't happen for him and after the fourth round it was a matter of waiting for the inevitable to happen.
It was a textbook Mayweather fight with a textbook ending that McGregor fell straight into through that strategy, to the point of almost seeming orchestrated. Go for broke in the first few rounds against someone who's made a career gassing out champions doing the same thing, except swap your champion with a complete amateur who decided he didn't have to seriously condition himself for a full 12 rounds while relying on nothing but arm punches. A guy saying this a month out from the fight:

McGregor: “A little boxing fight where there’s a referee to save the day every time there’s a tie-up and a clinch? Twelve three minutes is nothing. I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but this game is very easy. It’s a very easy game compared to my game.”

Mayweather made McGregor into his personal punching bag by the bottom of the 9th round. Good thing the ref was there to 'save the day'. :ROFLMAO:

dDTAgDP.png

Smack down beats smack talk.

Are we really saying if Conor had a tuneup fight he'd kill Floyd?

Let's play the game. What if Floyd was 30?

There's no way, with however many fights McGregor is competive in boxing versus any Top3 fight from 140-154lbs. Let's be real.

My hat is off to McGregor for hanging 10 rds.

Hats off to Floyd for standing in front of the bigger Irish gorilla. BUT Floyd bullied this guy, and was the stronger puncher.

If the ref doesn't stop the fight early, there's a shit load of embrassing memes today and we do have a Rousey moment.

Last edited:
Back