McGregor/Mayweather Fight

I guess I'm judging this based on a rookie getting into the batters box, ala Tebow and rather than spending time in the Minors, spends time with a private coach and faces David Price or Kershaw in his first at bat and gets a single.

I believe, Conor the amateur, with zero fights landed more punches than every fighter to fight Mayweather except for Canelo.

I do not think Conor would beat Mayweather with a tune up fight. But him taking Mayweather to the 10th only helped MMA. It left the impression MMA fighters can box, while also doing other things like kick, grapple and wrestle.

It also made me believe that Conor did beat the brakes of Malinaggi. I was skeptical about what Conor could do. Not anymore.

Mayweather rides off into retirement with his 50-0 legacy in-tact. Conor moves on to bigger paydays for crossing the aisle an showing he could stand with an all time great.

I have to wonder, was the fact that they had to put up a 40 year old boxer vs. a talented, but non-boxer UFC fighter, a sign that the 'end is nigh' for professional boxing?

While UFC is selling PPV pretty consistently *, what was the last boxing match that had this kind of appeal? (Mayweather/Pacquiao?)

* This gravy train could end quickly if Dana does not get his house in order. (PED's related)

I posted something similar before the fight and think this is the preferred finish for both sports. You could go with a conspiracy, but CM did such a great job that's unlikely unless you wanted to buy into the fantasy that FM deliberately held back for a pre-ordained end.

CM is too good in the octagon and I hope this is a one-off event for him.

I posted something similar before the fight and think this is the preferred finish for both sports. You could go with a conspiracy, but CM did such a great job that's unlikely unless you wanted to buy into the fantasy that FM deliberately held back for a pre-ordained end.

CM is too good in the octagon and I hope this is a one-off event for him.
Yeah this is really the best possible outcome- yeah, Conor lost in the 10th- but how long would Floyd last in an MMA bout? How long would any boxer?

Boxing fans are now left with a retreating corner of specialization to cling to, forced to admit they couldn't do what Conor just did. Imagine any weight class of boxer challenging the champ of any weight class in the UFC on 8 months time. It's literally incredulous.

"Well, if you aren't allowed to use anything but hands, and only to a specific part of my head and torso, with a strict referee... WE ARE UNTOUCHABLE!!!"

Ok, cool. Well, our guy just took history's best boxer 10 rounds and we ALL agree a douchebag journeyman at 155 could destroy a boxer in less than a round. It wouldn't be close.

If you want to see what happens to a boxer, even a really good one, when they step inside the octagon just watch James Toney vs. Randy Couture

LOL. So you bet $200 on Floyd to win $40 for your week's worth of food and now you're patting yourself on the back for betting the favorite?
No, and even then the amount won is irrelevant to the point:

He was the favorite for a reason, and he showed why by schooling the world's biggest smack-talker in front of a world audience and making diehard MMA fanboys a laughably easy target for bets.

he showed why by schooling the world's biggest smack-talker in front of a world audience and making diehard MMA fanboys a laughably easy target for bets.

Did we watch the same fight? I'm a casual fan at best in both sports, but McGregor was hardly 'schooled'. And if you want to go that direction, then lets.

Mayweather's repeated tactic of turning his back and ducking down during several of the rounds was an obvious and deliberate attempt to get Conor to punch him in the back of the head, and thereby incur the $1 million fine. Anyone who has fought in combat sports knows that you simply cannot do that (turn your back). Mayweather was finally warned after doing it 4 or 5 times. At one point, Mayweather turned his back and bent down at the waist in a corner. The ref (Byrd) was terrible and for reasons that still escape me, Byrd went after McGregor and backed him out to the middle of the ring, warning him about something. I thought he was awful.

I try not to ride down the streets of Conspiracy and Fix, but Vegas was set to lose its collective a$$ if McGregor had knocked Mayweather out. It would not take much for me to believe that the Ref had an agenda during that fight.

He was the favorite for a reason, and he showed why by schooling the world's biggest smack-talker in front of a world audience and making diehard MMA fanboys a laughably easy target for bets.

Smack-talk in the fight game is an important part of pre-bout promotion. In other words, it's another element in the marketing plan. Did you really think it wasn't?

Last edited:

He was the favorite for being history's best boxer.

He didn't school anyone. History's best boxer lost the first 3 (maybe 4) rounds of a 12 round fight to a guy that had never fought before. Never had a single round. An amateur.

Boxing fanboys all took a collective shot to the mouth, considering the sweet science was easily handled by a guy without a single professional fight for 30 minutes.

Again- a non competitive top 10 (not even top 5) MMA fighter could beat a boxer in less than 3 minutes (MMA rules). The world's best boxer took 30 mintues to beat the "world's biggest shit talker", and only did so because of stoppage and cardio.

The roles reversed? You're the one making the case for Floyd literally slapping a grown man's thigh for mercy before he gets submitted in under 180 seconds.

So who wins here?

Did Conor take the fight into the 10th? Or did Floyd carry him into the 10th?

I give CM much credit for not getting in there and embarrassing himself however he was not competitive from the Rd 3 to the 10th. Seriously, rewatch the fight.

CM hit FM more than Pac and/or Canelo because FM was willing to stand right in front of Conor and walked him down the majority of the fight. FM has never done this. A large portion of Conor's punches, probably 25% were slap punches are half jabs. No power.

Floyd is the most accurate boxer and best defensive boxer of my time.... a boxing Wizard. CM was in there with a 40 year old man with 2 years off. That was obvious and so was Conor's experience.

Place CM in their with Canelo, GGG, Errol Spence... what do you think happens?

Of course if Mayweather fights in the Ocatagon this doesn't last 10 seconds.

Rewatch the fight, Floyd didn't turn his back but twice. All the other times, Conor transitioned to his back.

It's really bizarre reading a lot of these comments because it's obvious the respect is there for CM and not FM.

Did Conor take the fight into the 10th? Or did Floyd carry him into the 10th?

I give CM much credit for not getting in there and embarrassing himself however he was not competitive from the Rd 3 to the 10th. Seriously, rewatch the fight.

CM hit FM more than Pac and/or Canelo because FM was willing to stand right in front of Conor and walked him down the majority of the fight. FM has never done this. A large portion of Conor's punches, probably 25% were slap punches are half jabs. No power.

Floyd is the most accurate boxer and best defensive boxer of my time.... a boxing Wizard. CM was in there with a 40 year old man with 2 years off. That was obvious and so was Conor's experience.

Place CM in their with Canelo, GGG, Errol Spence... what do you think happens?

Of course if Mayweather fights in the Ocatagon this doesn't last 10 seconds.

Rewatch the fight, Floyd didn't turn his back but twice. All the other times, Conor transitioned to his back.

It's really bizarre reading a lot of these comments because it's obvious the respect is there for CM and not FM.

I absolutely hate Mayweather as a person, but absolutely respect his boxing skill. That said, he lost 4 rounds to an amateur boxer, and although he won the fight, got hit a hell of a lot more than I ever thought he would. I was glad to see Mayweather actually fight and not just evade and point it to death. It was a good fight, and a good finish to his career.

@Locksteady, it's clear you have some sort of emotional attachment to this fight. Whether it's unrequited love for Conor that you just won't admit, or an MMA guy kicked the shit of you at some point, or whatever it is, just chill the fuck out. CM didn't get schooled. Shit talking is part of the game, and Floyd was in the unique position of being out talked during the press conferences. You're making ridiculous arguments, so give it a rest.

Back