Medical. : Intro/Qualifications/Goals

Hey folks, thanks for allowing me to join the group. I'm currently active duty Coast Guard at a Search and Rescue station, with less than a year left on my enlistment. I've really wanted to get into field medicine after I attended a TCCC course prior to an OIF deployment, and I found it ain't gonna happen in the CG. I'm currently in an NREMT-B course, and concurrently taking some college courses. My ulitimate goal is to lateral to the AF and give PJ a shot, so I've been doing everything I can to streamline the process and make myself as marketable as possible (prior service slots are slim and seemingly competitive right now, so I'm hoping every little bit helps). My father is kinda my driving force in my choice, he was an Army SF Medic in Vietnam, so he's a big motivation to get my shit together. Thanks again for all the info you guys have put out there, this website's been a big help.

I'm a former 68W, and current police sergeant/tactical medic on our Emergency Response Team (we'd call it SWAT but God forbid we offend someone with a non-pc acronym).

I hold a FL and PA EMT-P as well as NREMT-P certification. I've taught at the basic and paramedic/RN levels. Done the alphabet soup courses, and hate the merit badge concept.

I'm here to learn, particularly from folks who've been doing this longer than I have and/or whose operational experience exceeds mine. The more I learn, the more I can help my guys, and thats really what it's about, isn't it?

I'm also here to mess with Firemedic. :D

Greetings!

My cerdentials are posted to Boondocksaint375 as part of my vetting. I am a retired military trained anesthetist. Completed USAF residency and boarded in Anesthesia in 1977. Military practice until 1990, back for DS and out again APR 91. Civillian practice into 2001 when I finally retired. Mostly bread and butter anesthesia including Gen Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, ENT, Peds, ICU, and pain management on limited basis. IG team member for ATC, and MAC. I was a member of President Ronald Reagan's support team at his ranch Rancho del Cielo, Ca '83-'85. Had a great oppertunity to interface with B/2/
20th GP (ABN) from '85-'89.

What I do now is limited to what ever I want. I'm not being a smart ass, simply persuing many interests that I could not chase down while I was in practice. I do have some health limitations, but enjoying the good life. I stay as current as I can in anesthesia and medicine in general, and sites like this help. I teach when I can, and learn from the young guns.

I hope you can put up with this older gent from time to time. I look to learning from you "younger guns". Thanks for this site and a chance to join in.

RF 1

AD Army 61J, General Surgeon, ATLS instructor, Navy Trauma Training Center, prior LA County Trauma program Resident, and some other stuff. Here to learn as much about tactical medicine as possible.

Do I need an invite? Former SF medic (91B3SLAW7) with 5 years in the big sandbox, BS Psychology, EMT-B, 12 years working in prison as a counselor and block supervisor?

I am looking for the science of why PA's protocols are tape 3 sides while the military is straight occlusive dressing for a sucking chest wound. May not find anything concrete - expert opinion is NOT what I want. Scholarly articles IS lacking out there.

Really? That has been the standard for several years now.
That is out of the standard Army medic course for sure and according to a member here who was an advanced instructor it was standard period.
The Hyfin chest seal is 100% occlusive, which obviously requires close monitoring. Some units require an NCD after a hyfin is placed.

Hello all!

I just recently graduated IDMT school in Decemeber and will be leaving for Mildenhall in a couple of weeks. I'm greener than hell so you won't be hearing much of anything from me - just a ton of reading on my end. I've been an AF medic for about 2 years and hold an NREMT-B cert as well as a BLS and SABC instructor cert and head to paramedic school in May. I have a ton to learn and look forward to it all. Thanks for all your input on this forum, guys.

Tyler

Hello all!

I just recently graduated IDMT school in Decemeber and will be leaving for Mildenhall in a couple of weeks. I'm greener than hell so you won't be hearing much of anything from me - just a ton of reading on my end. I've been an AF medic for about 2 years and hold an NREMT-B cert as well as a BLS and SABC instructor cert and head to paramedic school in May. I have a ton to learn and look forward to it all. Thanks for all your input on this forum, guys.

Tyler

I'll see you when; and you will, attend the ISOC and CASEVAC Course. Your road to AFSOC is not yet complete, bust ass at the EMT-P course and keep up the good work. See you soon!

I'll see you when; and you will, attend the ISOC and CASEVAC Course. Your road to AFSOC is not yet complete, bust ass at the EMT-P course and keep up the good work. See you soon!

Will do! Sounds good and see you then.

Former 18D and 18B... well I was an 18B first and reclassified into medic... my primary instructor in 300F1 is now the USSOCOM Surgeon. I still keep a little current - First Responder CPR/Defib, frist aid, and self study to keep the other skills from getting too rusty. I just want to keep current and sharre brain cells with the guys in the fight. I think I still know enough old school jungle medicine to help give some ideas to the guys who haven't been taught it.

Retired AF IDMT/EMT-P/Aerovac medic. Currently working as a loggie at Hq AFSOC/SG office supporting training pipe-line for AF SOF Medics.

Back