Men of Valor

Gypsy

SSSO 1&2/Plank Owner
Michael Yon is posting a multi-dispatch series on the British Soldiers he embedded with a while ago. It's proving to be an amazing series.

Thanks to our British allies!

This email introduces the 3rd segment:

Greetings,

Just returned from the Iraq-Syria border back to Mosul after an interesting day. The progress in Iraq could not be clearer. I've never seen so much hope among the Iraqis or our soldiers. U.S. officers and senior NCOs caution me to be careful about sounding too optimistic, but the fact is I have never seen so much optimism in Iraq or about Iraq.

I know they are right about their concerns for setting expectations too high; they know many hard times are ahead. But the fact is I have not personally experienced combat in months, Contrast that to times when we might get into fights several times per day and the optimism seems more grounded.

Had dinner today with a powerful Iraqi Sheik and U.S. soldiers. The food was great, but unfortunately some goat brain was lopped onto my plate. Somehow I ate it without incident.

Please click here for an intense story of urban combat. The British make me proud to have gone out with them this year for nearly two months.

V/r,

Michael
Mosul

The first post that started it all is here:

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/happy-thanksgiving-baqubah-update.htm

And a Thanksgiving Day message as well..

Happy Thanksgiving from Iraq!

I had the opportunity to spend Thanksgiving with General Petraeus. Very interesting series of helicopter flights to several bases. Bottom line is that progress is clear and real, but there are tough days ahead and al Qaeda, for instance, is far from dead. The mood is of cautious optimism, with a concern that some of the very positive media lately might set expectations too high. (That’s right: many military leaders are concerned that the media lately might be too positive.)

Bottom line is that I am more optimistic than ever before, but I share that caution. It’s obvious, too, that the tough fighting is not over.

But I came across something today that might make veterans of the fighting in Baqubah proud. Back in May, just before operation Arrowhead Ripper, there were about 60 violent acts per day. Now there are about 6. The markets are opening and the streets are again filled with people. I thought the veterans of Baqubah might like to know that their efforts have made a tremendous difference for the people here. You fought hard. This writer saw it. Your sacrifices truly meant something.

Michael

Baghdad

Back