MEU SOC Pistol make?

KBar666

Unverified
Just Wondering can anyone tell me what the actual make of the so called "MEU SOC 1911" is?

I think its SA but I've heard they are Kimbers and couple of mixed sources.

So this while a totally irrellevent thread I know,just wondering if anyone can fill me in.

Thanks

MEUSOC 1911's began life as rack grade 1911's cherry picked for low round count/wear.
They were then modified by USMC armorers, with aftermarket parts of the time. Colt's barrels/ bushings and links. High Profile three dot sights from Kings Gunworks were added as were Pachmayer rubberized stocks. Extractors were hand fitted, feed ramps polished and ejection ports lowered a bit. As the supply of quality 1911's from stores dwindled, frames were replaced with COT's replacements. Then there were iterations produced in small batch runs from Springfield ( Genesco USA forgings ), Kimber and now Colt's. ( I'm sure there are many more details known only to the armorers themselves ) This is the story I was told by a MEUSOC guy. We now field all of the above plus the Glock 19 Gen 3.
Respectfully
j

Just as a question of a trivial nature: I know MARSOC is issued the Glock; is Recon as well given they are not part of the SOC spectrum (and funding)?

One of my (personal) 1911s had been essentially a MEU(SOC) 1911, built by an armorer. The thing about it, though, as so few were exactly the same and underwent mods as parts became available, it's not particularly unique.

Just as a question of a trivial nature: I know MARSOC is issued the Glock; is Recon as well given they are not part of the SOC spectrum (and funding)?

One of my (personal) 1911s had been essentially a MEU(SOC) 1911, built by an armorer. The thing about it, though, as so few were exactly the same and underwent mods as parts became available, it's not particularly unique.
Recon isn't issued glocks. We get 1911s and berettas with a rail system.

Last edited:

Yes my understanding from a guy who was in, is that they are not an exact spec'd unit with an NSN No. Ect. As parts wore or broke, they were replaced. Break an ambidextrous safety.... Oh we have some Ed Brown's in stock...for instance... In other words they were a concept pistol with some written specs. Basically what a person would do to make a 1911 uber reliable. Not unlike the FBI HRU and SWAT pistols. Of note, a lot of the pistols I've seen wore early Laser Devices (Later Surefire) WML adapters.
Later iterations incorporated a light rail and now of course the Glock pistols and the Colt's....

I always thought you made a 1911 more reliable by trading it in for a Glock.
Haaaa good one! I do own a Colt's Stainless XSE that has yet to have a single failure to feed or failure to fire. It has worked as advertised 100% of the time in box stock configuration. It has been fed the Federal Premium HST 230 gr. JHP It is approaching 1000 rnd.'s I do however carry a Glock 21SF. When I feel I am proficient with the Colt's, I will rotate it in to the carry group.
Just me though....
Good night!
J

Accurate - 1911
Reliable - Glock

I think that's kind of misinformation. 1911's can be extremely reliable and Glock's can be extremely accurate. I would say with any platform, the more accuracy you milk out of it with tighter tolerance, the less reliable the firearm will function. There is a balancing act, especially on the hand fitting side of the house.

With the more modern manufacturing computer and laser guided CNC, milling, etc. It pretty easy to get a super accurate and reliable firearm right out of the box. Than again, your average shooter can't even shoot to the accuracy of the firearm, so it becomes a bit of a moot point.

On the range, yes. The exposed hammer is a pretty big negative in the places we like to go.

That's why the mission should drive the gear train. Sometimes a 1911 is the perfect tool to smack something with, and sometimes something else is. Being locked into one tool for all missions isn't helpful.

I think that's kind of misinformation. 1911's can be extremely reliable and Glock's can be extremely accurate. I would say with any platform, the more accuracy you milk out of it with tighter tolerance, the less reliable the firearm will function. There is a balancing act, especially on the hand fitting side of the house.

Your right, I'm wrong, you're the best!

Please hate me more......:zzz:

Back