Military Athlete

was looking at MA and am curious. gonna try the two week free courses listed on the web site, though perhaps someone to help me answer this. if I did decide to try it for a bit, how do you know when you up the weight on your exercises? or do you keep it just constant?

What do you mean exactly? Rob will prescribe a set weight, or percentage of a rep max, for everything. The exceptions are strength workouts where you are going as heavy as possible for the prescribed number of reps.

What do you mean exactly? Rob will prescribe a set weight, or percentage of a rep max, for everything. The exceptions are strength workouts where you are going as heavy as possible for the prescribed number of reps.

that's basically what I was looking for, thanks!

Johnny, you ever try the gallon of milk a day diet? You eat the same as usually do, except you drink- a gallon of milk a day extra. It's really not that hard to do if you space it out. I've did it about 3 years ago for a couple weeks, and recently did it again just a couple weeks ago for two weeks in duration. The first time I tried it was with whole milk, this time I did it with 1%. It was pretty far spaced to realistically compare the two, but I'd the 1% was easier to digest (I'm not a milk drinker otherwise).

During the two weeks I was drinking a gallon a day, I was a snotty, mucus spitting mess. I also had stomach aches almost daily, although they weren't anything I didn't mind. I gained 8 pounds over two weeks, then over the next couple weeks I dropped 4. So a month later, I had gained about 4 pounds of muscle and my health had returned to normal about 2 days after I stopped drinking the milk.

I really don't have much of a problem with a 1:1 fat/muscle gain, if I was interested in getting much bigger I'd just go up in 8-10 pound spurts, then cut back to 10% BF monthly. It's a MUCH faster way of gaining muscle than maintaining the same BF % and slowly gaining lean mass (look at bodybuilders when they are far out from a meet).

interesting.....though a gallon of milk a day does sound harsh lol! probably all to do with the amounts of steroids milk has in it these days. I'd prefer some more solid muscle mass to be honest, not giant bulk up like a body builder. Strength, speed and endurance are more important to me than size. The beta alanine I take is helpful with the endurance, though I'm always looking to improve in all areas!

Yeah, lean mass is good. But the thing is, if you are in or around 180 pounds, gaining 5 pounds of fat along with 5 pounds of muscle is going to change your BF% by about 2%. Shedding 5 lbs of body fat is no big deal.

All variables being equal other than strength, a stronger person has better endurance.

Adults don't digest milk well because they no longer produce chymosin. Lactose is also a pretty strong allergen and most folks have a reaction to at one level or another, whether they notice it or not. I've also read from several sources that casein resembles gluten on the molecular level, and causes similar problems.

I'm 5'8 and 153 lbs at the moment, about the only body fat on my body is at the gut, so a good weight routine/fat burn cardio is what I do usually but I'll give the MA a try and see how well I like it. Skrewz, would almond butter work?

I suppose. I'm not sure how much (good) fat almond butter has in it when compared to PB. I always thought they were a great Pre-WO snack. I was eating 3 PB&B sandwiches a day en-route to becoming the 215lb (6'2") fat ass I was when I DEP'd in. So, like everything else, moderation. :D I also just discovered Greek Yogurt. Twice the protein of regular yogurt and still ZERO fat! Tastes kinda funny alone, but mixed with oatmeal and protein and a little honey/cinnamon, delicious!
Also, I use MA and I love to hate it.

PB&B(anana), my friend. And I said, in moderation. 3 a day plus all the other shit I was eating at the time, yes, fat assery occurred. Here's what I was eating at the time.

Reveille: Protein shake
Breakfast: 6 hard boiled eggs & yogurt
Mid morning: PB&B sandwich
Lunch: Cold Cut sandwich & PB&B sandwich & protein shake
Pre-WO: PB&B sandwich & protein shake
Post WO: Gainer protein shake (laundry detergent scoop size!)
Dinner: 1/3 box of spaghetti, 1/2 can sauce, 1/2 lb ground beef
Taps: Casein shake

I still think it's a great Pre-WO meal.

Bread and Pasta fucked you, Skrewz. Other than that you're diet isn't too bad. Not sure how you're built though.

Bread and Pasta fucked you, Skrewz. Other than that you're diet isn't too bad. Not sure how you're built though.

Agreed there. My gf is a personal trainer and gave me the suggestions to shape my diet up after (when I got out of the Corps) I did a bit too much "don't give a fuck I'm a free man" with my eating/drinking, went from 155 to 163, almost all in my gut. After about two months of no bread/no pasta/healthy eating and a change up in my workout dropped about 10 lbs fat from my gut.

Yeah, I was trying to put on weight. All I did was lift weight, no cardio. It took me a week of dancing and flailing around for 5 minutes every morning to get my work pants on to realize that the weight I had put on had all gone to the wrong place...my mid section vice upper body. That's about the time I DEP'd in. I was at 215. I shipped 10 months later at 185.
I've never had any problem getting my legs to grow. Chest/arms/shoulders, never happens.

Genetics, Rep amounts, Hormone Release and Movements (those two go hand as well as intensity) are key. Aside from the already discussed nutrition, you can only control 2 of those 4, and partially control hormonal release (kind of). Once you find out what your body responds to, stick with it. As long as you're hitting heavy compound movements (Clean, Snatch, Squat, Press Deadlift etc) you should be getting somewhat of a hormonal response, add that to Reps and a solid Diet and you're bird chest should be a barrel chest soon enough.

One thing that continually amazes my tiny brain is the amount of time these guys take on the AFAP sets. They're almost always at the very end of a workout when you're completely wiped. It always takes me 1.5-2 x as long as Rob and his lab rats. I don't know if it's more mental or physical on my part, but it's still bewildering.
For example, the workout I did Friday was almost all upper body. Last set was AFAP:
5 Rounds
5 x Power clean @ 135#
5 x box jump
5 x pull up

The cleans were surprisingly easy. The pull ups are what killed me. I could barely hang on the bar after the 2nd round. Took me just over 10 mins to complete the entire 5 rounds. Rob did it 4:24, his "lab rat" Dave did it in 6:xx. I'm sure many of you would be given less trouble than I with something like this, but it still makes me go :-o

One thing that continually amazes my tiny brain is the amount of time these guys take on the AFAP sets. They're almost always at the very end of a workout when you're completely wiped. It always takes me 1.5-2 x as long as Rob and his lab rats. I don't know if it's more mental or physical on my part, but it's still bewildering.
For example, the workout I did Friday was almost all upper body. Last set was AFAP:
5 Rounds
5 x Power clean @ 135#
5 x box jump
5 x pull up

The cleans were surprisingly easy. The pull ups are what killed me. I could barely hang on the bar after the 2nd round. Took me just over 10 mins to complete the entire 5 rounds. Rob did it 4:24, his "lab rat" Dave did it in 6:xx. I'm sure many of you would be given less trouble than I with something like this, but it still makes me go :-o

It took me a couple months to get used to the volume of MA enough to even be able to complete 5 sessions in a row within the expected time per session. It was another couple months before I felt like I was attacking the workouts as opposed to just trying to survive them. The mental aspect was harder to adapt to than the physical. It takes a certain mindset to get through the MA sessions. You have to force yourself to take it one segment at a time and to focus on what you're doing right now and not what you already did or what you have left to do.

I here nothing but good things from other guys in my unit about his stuff. Personally I'm not on this level of fitness yet and I know that after doing some of the squad pt sessions, but I like it because well...it sucks! However I was wondering, I've read his site throughly and he is about strength which makes sense...but what about running? I don't see it much in the program from all I've read and talked about with others. I'm not a great runner so it takes serious work on my part just to maintain what I got. Will MA help or hurt my run??

I here nothing but good things from other guys in my unit about his stuff. Personally I'm not on this level of fitness yet and I know that after doing some of the squad pt sessions, but I like it because well...it sucks! However I was wondering, I've read his site throughly and he is about strength which makes sense...but what about running? I don't see it much in the program from all I've read and talked about with others. I'm not a great runner so it takes serious work on my part just to maintain what I got. Will MA help or hurt my run??

I've started doing 3 MA workouts a week and 2 days running. The workouts will technically "help" you with running due to increased lung capacity, work capacity and stamina. I'm a shitty runner so I have to incorporate actual running into my routine in order to continue progressing.

Back