Military Misconduct

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
Not sure there's an existing thread that's a good fit for this one, so I'm starting a new one:

A major was kicked out for stealing narcotics. Then he took $820,000 from the Air Force.​

A major was kicked out for stealing narcotics. Then he took $820,000 from the Air Force.

To sum up: he was stealing and using drugs downrange. Got stupid about it (well, more stupid than just stealing the drugs and using them) and got caught. Got kicked out but the checks kept coming. So he kept cashing them...

...and oh by they way claimed to be an O5 and a Purple Heart recipient.

He should be severely caned and thrashed until he can't stand under his own power every other day for the next six months. Then made a private and sentenced to work four years in a VA drug rehab center. That is all....

To my non-medical ass…

The story said those meds had to be accounted for. He clearly did this for awhile, so how was that possible? Medicine usage when he flew matched other crews’ usage? Someone helped him? The system is that broken? He took a lot of meds from his kit and no one noticed?

To my non-medical ass…

The story said those meds had to be accounted for. He clearly did this for awhile, so how was that possible? Medicine usage when he flew matched other crews’ usage? Someone helped him? The system is that broken? He took a lot of meds from his kit and no one noticed?
During one of the times you and I were in Afghanistan at the same time, we had a minor issue inside the Task Force with some of the medics (of flight crew, I don't remember which) stealing narcotics and stimulants. I don't recall all the details but I think that they were able to get away with it for a while by marking them as used or destroyed, and/or through very poor record keeping.

To my non-medical ass…

Diversion is not that hard with access an placement, just like any other crime. This is why anesthesia providers display significantly higher levels of drug abuse than other types of physicians and medical providers. Anesthesia providers have easy access to all the drugs.

One can give partial doses, draw more than needed and have witnesses waste, but actually waste saline. In hospital systems with digital systems and EMR’s this is tracked much better. Drugs out of a box, it is much easier.

What I find disgusting is that if you are giving partial doses, the patient is feeling more pain than necessary.

To my non-medical ass…

When my SOST team got to Farrah we burned boxes of morphine and other controlled drugs that we found abandoned by teams before us. Normal checks don’t always apply down range, at least not early on.

A friend of mine's dad was Court Martialed for Sexual Harassment, he was the CO of a CSH. He caught his nurses stealing pills, when he confronted them, they reported him to SHARP. All but one witness recanted on the stand.

A friend of mine's dad was Court Martialed for Sexual Harassment, he was the CO of a CSH. He caught his nurses stealing pills, when he confronted them, they reported him to SHARP. All but one witness recanted on the stand.
That sucks. Sorry that happened to him.

Diversion is a vicious cycle. I would venture to say that many, maybe even most in healthcare have witnessed it at some level. I am sure @SOSTCRNA and @Devildoc would agree. Way too many people fall victim to the addictiveness of narcotics, benzos, and GABA agonists. Many start down the path innocuously, insomnia, pain, legit prescriptions. If anyone hasn't watched Dopesick, on Hulu, I highly recommend it.

Diversion is a vicious cycle. I would venture to say that many, maybe even most in healthcare have witnessed it at some level. I am sure @SOSTCRNA and @Devildoc would agree. Way too many people fall victim to the addictiveness of narcotics, benzos, and GABA agonists. Many start down the path innocuously, insomnia, pain, legit prescriptions. If anyone hasn't watched Dopesick, on Hulu, I highly recommend it.

And it's often the people we suspect the least. It's tough, and it's tragic.

And it's often the people we suspect the least. It's tough, and it's tragic.
It is indeed. I knew two fantastic anesthesiologists that got out of the AF and within a couple years of separation were found dead in call rooms from injecting diverted narcotics. Both highly intelligent, respected physicians, married with young children. Ya never know.

Back