Mindset Rant - Entitlement, arrogance, and thinking being part of SOF makes you better than others

I don't tell stories that often because I do not dwell on accomplishments of my past. All that matters are my actions of the present and future. My faults and failures of the past are what I will talk about more so that others do not repeat mistakes that I made (i.e. Triple check your lowering line, on your rucksack, for rips or tears; make sure your parachute doesn't squeeze all of your water out of your camelbak prior to an extended ground operation).

Thank you for the post. What I meant by the stories question is if you have any especially memorable stories from Indoc or training or otherwise. Like any PJ candidates that stood out as being great/stupid/funny/etc?

I am not SOF.

I spent a couple of days with the NZSAS quite a few years ago being shown around.
One thing that always stuck with me was the Commander of the SAS telling us all "My men are not better than you or anyone else, they are just different".

Humility is one of the SAS's core values. Upon graduation and being awarded the SAS beret, the first task of the new trooper is to take a broom and sweep out the area.

I don't tell stories that often because I do not dwell on accomplishments of my past. All that matters are my actions of the present and future. My faults and failures of the past are what I will talk about more so that others do not repeat mistakes that I made (i.e. Triple check your lowering line, on your rucksack, for rips or tears; make sure your parachute doesn't squeeze all of your water out of your camelbak prior to an extended ground operation).

Well said.

I am not SOF.
Humility is one of the SAS's core values. Upon graduation and being awarded the SAS beret, the first task of the new trooper is to take a broom and sweep out the area.
Being a new PJ is the same. I've spent a lot of time maintaining and inventorying equipment, emptying trash and rolling streamers with chem lights. It made me very confident in my humility;)

JustAnotherJ -

I've enjoyed reading your posts in this thread about being a Instructor and your motivation for taking that position. One thing I've always been curious about is what it's like to come back to a SOF-entry school as an Instructor. After being a student and going through the course, and now being the man you at one time feared/hated/admired/wanted to be, what is it like?

JustAnotherJ -
... what it's like to come back to a SOF-entry school as an Instructor. After being a student and going through the course, and now being the man you at one time feared/hated/admired/wanted to be, what is it like?
I see it as a huge responsibility to my students and brotherhood alike. I understand the sacrifice and effort that my students have made as a career choice, but the consequence of overlooking quality for quantity could get my brothers killed, plain and simple. However, as an instructor, one must realize students are not you or at your level, so you have account for the fact that a two year training pipeline awaits them to mature them further. The question is did they achieve the goals set forth by the Indoc course? If so, they just may achieve the goals of all the other courses, and have earned a chance to prove it.

Our Indoc instructors were all very approachable. Unless you fucked up... There were only a handful of evolutions during Indoc that were truly designed to kick our teeth in. BCT, all bets were off though. Most of it was actually being instructed in the pool or on the beach. Intro to O-course, Basic Water Survival and the like. Of course guys dropped, myself included, but it was more of a gradual progression. Everyone of our Indoc instructors, all the way up to our LCPO, told us we could contact them 24 hours a day if need be. We all had their phone numbers. I don't think anyone ever used them, but I also don't think there would have been any repercussions had we done so.
Just my $.02

Back