Mini M14

jordan

Verified Military
My buddies pops is selling his Ruger mini 14 w/scope & a few hundred.223 rounds for $800. He just asked me if I was interested.

Worth it? Yay or nay.

08steeda

Seems kinda high for a used Mini-14. I just saw one at Gander Mountain (Used) for around 500.00 and that was the stainless version.

jordan

Verified Military
...but did it come with a scope and a few hundred rounds??:D

I first thought it was too but he said he is selling it becasue he doesnt shoot it anymore and just wants to clean out his collection a little.

Im considering.

08steeda

No it did not come with a scope. But unless it is a decent scope like a Leupold MK III or better and comes with 500 rounds I would be skeptical about it being a good deal. Plus the lack of sub MOA accuracy in this rifle makes putting a scope on it kind of negligible.

The other issue is reliability and accuracy. Both of which suffer in that particular rifle. I have owned 2 Mini-14's and had a lot of fun with them. But they are for plinking and good fun. I would not recommend them for anything more. I could never get the accuracy out of them that I do my AR's. Not even close.

This is a characteristic of Rugers design and lack of tolerance in their Mini-14/30 receiver. Although the Mini is loosely designed after an M1A/M-14 style receiver don't confuse the two.

Me personally, I would take the 800 and go build an AR.

But this is just my opinion! And we all know what opinions are like!!!

jordan

Verified Military
Yea. I dont know what kind of scope it is and my buddy didnt either. I doubt its a leupold of any sort though. I would just use it for going out and dickin around, nothing more.

A

arizonaguide

$800 still too much for the Mini-14, but that's not to say he won't get it after January.
Buy his ammo cheap.:) I would agree with 08, that around $500, even with the scope and some ammo. How many Mag's with it? That could kick it up a little...($650?)
JMHO.

W

WillBrink

My buddies pops is selling his Ruger mini 14 w/scope & a few hundred.223 rounds for $800. He just asked me if I was interested.

Worth it? Yay or nay.

$800? I would pass, unless he's done a lot of work on it and the glass on it is high end, that's expensive for a used ruger mini 14.

Verified Military
$800 seems steep to me. I paid about half that for mine new. Now it was many years ago, but it doesn't seem like they've gone up in value or cost that much in 20 years. :)

jordan

Verified Military
Alright, thanks guys.

Ill see if I can negotiate with him a little and if he is dead set on the price than I am just going to pass and look at something else.. possibly an M1