MREs not providing adequate nutrition

That's a side effect of something?

30+ days in the field eating nothing but MREs, yup, bricks (as in shitting, 1 ea.) are a definite side effect, no matter how much water you drink. We had cases where aftwe 40+ day field exercises, whole teams were admitted to the Hospital because of the effects of MREs on the digestive system - usually after water deprived exercises. Ugly, really, really ugly.

Doc, look into Senna. You can get like 200 softgels for 6 bucks at most vitamin/supplement stores.

Doc, look into Senna. You can get like 200 softgels for 6 bucks at most vitamin/supplement stores.
And whatever you do, don't be more'n an arms length from the toilet for the next day or so.

RLK, you are a mean animal. :D

Doc, sorry, I was just being a smartass. Truth is: I am one of those rotten bastards with a blessed gut. MRE's don't have that 'brick' effect on me. ..... But let me get ahold of a chili-mac and I'll clear out a GP Medium. ;)

30+ days in the field eating nothing but MREs, yup, bricks (as in shitting, 1 ea.) are a definite side effect, no matter how much water you drink. We had cases where aftwe 40+ day field exercises, whole teams were admitted to the Hospital because of the effects of MREs on the digestive system - usually after water deprived exercises. Ugly, really, really ugly.

LOL what bowel obstructions, thats bad. :bleh:

I don't know what the deal is, but the medical community in the military has known, and it's part of what the spoons should know as well, that MRE's are NOT recommended for continual consumption. Last I heard, 30 days was the max you were supposed to be on MRE's straight, for health reasons.

We had T-rats at our FOB for a reason, and it wasn't for the taste.

As far as the 'brick' issue goes, it's supposed to have that affect. You don't want to be taking a dump every few hours while in the field. They are disigned to plug you up to some degree.:uhh:

After 30 days, taking a shit would be like giving birth to a really big turd outta your ass.:bleh:

Right on, 70 days here and and my digestive system took a beating.

Had operations continued, I think I would have been good for maybe another 3-4 weeks, but that would have pushing it.

Other than supplementing the MREs, did you or any of your fellow medics come up with something to work around the deficiencies inherent in eating that ration for lengthy periods?

As far as the 'brick' issue goes, it's supposed to have that affect. You don't want to be taking a dump every few hours while in the field. They are disigned to plug you up to some degree.:uhh:

After 30 days, taking a shit would be like giving birth to a really big turd outta your ass.:bleh:

Yep, there's that to take into consideration, but if you've got enough of that waste backing up and you suffer a perforated bowel or take a hit to the abdomen, it's going to be trouble. Maybe one of the medics can relate how long before you suffer something along the lines of septis or septic shock. Your insides would be swimming in nasty stuff at that point.

In that regard, you're screwed. Another day in the life of one of Uncle Sam's kids. I wouldn't be surprised if I still have a couple of chunks of corned beef hash floating around in me somewhere.:eek: :eek:

Telephone pole, Bro.

Other than supplementing the MREs, did you or any of your fellow medics come up with something to work around the deficiencies inherent in eating that ration for lengthy periods?

Lots of water if available - anything but MREs/Cs/LRRPs - we carried rice, beef jerky, peanut butter, granola, raisins, everything but prunes. Nothing really helped, even mineral oil was a failure. Like the esteemed RangerLuna said - they were designed that way. Probably by some sadistic GS fuck at Natick.

Maybe one of the medics can relate how long before you suffer something along the lines of septis or septic shock.

Peritonitis can set in minutes or hours after a bowel perforation, it depends on the concetration and make up of the flora and fauna in the digestive tract, and if the immune system is deficient from long periods in the field, minutes is probably a better estimate. Although with the compacted bowel contents from a diet exclusively of MREs, you might have an hour.

I think all the members of congress should have to subsist on these things for 70 days..watch how fast things change. That is after they are finished shitting those bricks. That would be a whoooooole lotta shit.:bleh:

I think this has always been the norm for field rations. Even the old C-rations weren't meant for 3 meals a day for indefinite periods of time. They were also guaranteed to plug you up after about 3 days.

I think this has always been the norm for field rations. Even the old C-rations weren't meant for 3 meals a day for indefinite periods of time. They were also guaranteed to plug you up after about 3 days.

Didn't really notice a difference between C's and the first MRE's when it came to this aspect of eating them, seems they all plugged you up.

Was just glad I got a truck filled with med gear and dog crates I could stash the extras in for, ahem, regularity... ;)

LL

here's a question. Does the Army still have cooks? I'm under the impression that they did away with 94b's and have gone to all civilian contractors even over the pond.?
Don't they know how to mermite chow to the front lines anymore? Christ when I think of the 36 hours periods without sleep making bisquits from scratch in the middle of February in Korea my bones hurt!
MRE's DO NOT sub for real food. the preservatives used will do permanent damage to the palette, liver, kidney's and a host of other body parts and functions. Not to mention the losning of your teeth!:bleh:

X SF Med - Yes we are there! Remember the 9 second DZ at Devens?! And the drops past the phone jack?

That matchhead old wives' tale still floating around? :)

I ate MRE's for 3 weeks twice a day, not only gained weight but never had a problem pooping. Never have I been so grateful for my naturally fast intestinal transit time. Some of the others got bound up pretty bad... fiber supplementation seemed to help quite a bit, which is what seemed to be missing from the MRE's. That and dehydration was bad juju.

OMFG..Im really sorry..but this made me laugh so hard..Im just infantile.

I was watching Seinfeld the other night, the one where George is double dipping his chip at the wake, and his girlfriend's brother Timmy calls him on it. I was able to mine a little humor, as always, from the show and apply it to this thread...:D

[George and Timmy are in separate stalls in the latrine...]

Timmy: What are you doing?

George Costanza: What?

Timmy: Did, did you just flush that dump?

George Costanza: Excuse me?

Timmy: You double flushed a dump!

George Costanza: Double flushed? What, what are you talking about?

Timmy: You flushed a dump. You took a dump. And you flushed again.

George Costanza: So?

Timmy: That's like putting your whole bowel right in the toilet. From now on, when you take a dump, just take one flush and end it.

George Costanza: Well, I'm sorry, Timmy, but I don't flush that way.

Timmy: Oh, you don't, huh?

George Costanza: You flush the way you want to flush. I'll
flush the way I want to flush.

A week - g'way, doesn't even count, esp. with 3 a day. Do you at least have to carry them in a ruck along with full operational Dgear? :uhh:

Negative......humvees will carry them. It gets worse...more than a few are complaining about having no heat in the tents haha....

Back