My Random TV Thread

Just finished The Terminal List, really enjoyed it. No spoilers but that ending; fuck me right in the feels.

Had to give it up. I tried. The first firefight did it for me. I can watch certain war movies, others make me too uncomfortable. Nighttime, tripwires, ambush, multiple casualties, withdraw under fire to helicopter extract…that was April 24 1971 for me.

Don’t mean to sound dramatic. It wasn’t a crisis. It was just that I wanted to be somewhere else. Wife saw me fidgeting, kept getting up to mess around in the kitchen. She knows the signs. So we switched to season two, Stranger Things.

Apocalypse Now didn’t bother me. WW2 movies don’t bother me. I thought Platoon was a fucking joke. We Were Soldiers—the book—caused me angst but I forced myself to finish it out of respect. Some things just hit me. I’ve dealt with it for 50 years.

Last edited:
Had to give it up. I tried. The first firefight did it for me. I can watch certain war movies, others make me too uncomfortable. Nighttime, tripwires, ambush, multiple casualties, withdraw under fire to helicopter extract…that was April 24 1971 for me.
Don’t mean to sound dramatic. It wasn’t a crisis. It was just that I wanted to be somewhere else.

Wife saw me fidgeting, kept getting up to mess around in the kitchen. She knows the signs. So we switched to season two, Stranger Things.

Apocalypse Now didn’t bother me. WW2 movies don’t bother me. I thought Platoon was a fucking joke. We Were Soldiers—the book—caused me angst but I forced myself to finish it out of respect. Some things just hit me. I’ve dealt with it for 50 years.

No worries. We all have our triggers.

Imagine having enough time to watch all of the SEAL tv shows/ movies out there.

What I found was that instead of the 'hooyah look at me Navy SEAL/I am awesome' perspective, it shows the cracks in 'The Brotherhood' and exposes flaws. The SEAL thing is there and a part of the story, but doesn't underpin the storyline.

Had to give it up. I tried. The first firefight did it for me. I can watch certain war movies, others make me too uncomfortable.
No worries. We all have our triggers.
Yes. Just....yes. It left me bothered for a day or two.
I just want to say thank you to you fellas for being this transparent. I was feeling some type of way for my reaction; glad to see there is someone on my left and right.

I also couldn't finish episode 1 the first time I watched it. I ended up coming back to it and finishing the series, but there were definitely some parts that were done a little too well, a little too spot on. Kudos to whoever Jack Carr had as his military advisor- there are always gonna be things to nit pick, but man- they did really close to "great", even if I'm being a passive aggressive nitpicker.

And as far as the "critic reviews" go... holy shit, why don't you just go an expose yourself as counter to anything that even REMOTELY looks like a conservative, male-centric story with a positive non-woke vibe why don't ya, Rotten Tomatoes. As if I needed to lose faith in yet another group of people- now FILM CRITICS?!? This is the last straw.

Great series, no clue how they're gonna make a season 2, but I am here for it. 8.75/10, absolutely loved it.

I just want to say thank you to you fellas for being this transparent. I was feeling some type of way for my reaction; glad to see there is someone on my left and right.

I also couldn't finish episode 1 the first time I watched it. I ended up coming back to it and finishing the series, but there were definitely some parts that were done a little too well, a little too spot on. Kudos to whoever Jack Carr had as his military advisor- there are always gonna be things to nit pick, but man- they did really close to "great", even if I'm being a passive aggressive nitpicker.

And as far as the "critic reviews" go... holy shit, why don't you just go an expose yourself as counter to anything that even REMOTELY looks like a conservative, male-centric story with a positive non-woke vibe why don't ya, Rotten Tomatoes. As if I needed to lose faith in yet another group of people- now FILM CRITICS?!? This is the last straw.

Great series, no clue how they're gonna make a season 2, but I am here for it. 8.75/10, absolutely loved it.

I thought Carr was a SEAL himself.

I thought Carr was a SEAL himself.
Yeah, he was and he's the guy that wrote the book- I have to assume he had a team of people that ran the cast through workouts, tactics, weapons handling etc. I would have to assume Carr would be busy with the adaptation and technical production stuff, but I've been wrong once today already.

After the smallest amount of search-engining, I guess Chris Pratt hired his own advisors, as he is want to do.

Yeah, he was and he's the guy that wrote the book- I have to assume he had a team of people that ran the cast through workouts, tactics, weapons handling etc. I would have to assume Carr would be busy with the adaptation and technical production stuff, but I've been wrong once today already.

After the smallest amount of search-engining, I guess Chris Pratt hired his own advisors, as he is want to do.

I believe the Director, Carr and Pratt are friends.

I believe the Director, Carr and Pratt are friends.

An article I read this week basically said Pratt became a SEALophile during filming Zero Dark Thirty, when he first worked with former SEAL trainers/advisors. It would not surprise me that he and Carr became friends, if not before the series, then during.

Yeah, that first episode, parts of it were very realistic (and some were campy, sure).

Y'all remember Boston Legal, with Denny Crane (William Shatner)? Loved that character. My favorite clip:

"I am an ex-Marine! I was a trained sniper! Or was it pilot?"

Last edited:
Terminal list: episode 1-

-Rangers as QRF for vanilla SEALs. LOLZ. SEALs taking lead in Syria/IZ- MORE LOLZ

- homeboy going hard with the beltfed in the tunnel; huge boner. I missing being a gun team leader.

- drunk dudes talking about doing hood rat shit- I feel that.

-linking up with your buddy who got out and has tats down to his fingernails- feel that.

Terminal list: episode 1-

-Rangers as QRF for vanilla SEALs. LOLZ. SEALs taking lead in Syria/IZ- MORE LOLZ

- homeboy going hard with the beltfed in the tunnel; huge boner. I missing being a gun team leader.

- drunk dudes talking about doing hood rat shit- I feel that.

-linking up with your buddy who got out and has tats down to his fingernails- feel that.

Apparently in the book it's Afghanistan and not Syria. No idea why they made that change.

The other things, yeah, close to home... Hood rats, tats and all...

I read the Terminal List book and didn't like it at all - killed my desire to see the TV series.

Maybe it's because I read the third one in the series first before re-reading the first one. It seemed way too escapist and targeting a certain demographic to me. I get it's refreshing to have non-woke stuff, but my God both of those books were laying it on a bit thick a la Brad Thor and Vince Flynn.

Totally understand why it can be enjoyable for some and I also appreciate that you all are being open about how upsetting things can be.

Stranger things season 4 overall score: 6/10. I feel like the ending really dropped the ball. Won’t get into spoiler territory though since it’s still new.

I'm going to be watching the final episode tonight. Overall, I've liked season 4. One of the things I've liked is that the episodes are almost feature length. (Like Game of Thrones final season was supposed to be but wasn't.) So I like the fact they put more production into it.

EDIT

Finished the series. Last episode was a little dialogue-heavy at the end, but I wasn't disappointed. They left it open for a sequel or maybe a movie.

Last edited:
Back