63564436.jpg
84768817.jpg

s13z.jpg
78916320.jpg

s11a.jpg
92817737.jpg

s14s0.jpg
14016825.jpg

I am assuming he is a SEAL based on what knowledge I have read about his weapon and uniform. If I am correct then this could be his story. Kudos to the Foundation and QL+.

Active SEALs May Get Special Prosthetics

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -- The Naval Special Warfare (NSW) Foundation and Quality of Life Plus (QL+) teamed-up to create prosthetic limbs for active duty SEALs.

The QL+ team is made up of two three-man teams of graduate level students who build the specialized prosthetics. The California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo based project began January 2010 and the first prototypes are scheduled to be delivered to the SEALs in December.

An East Coast based SEAL is receiving a prosthetic leg and a West Coast SEAL is receiving a prosthetic hand. The project combines biomedical engineering with mechanical engineering, creating state of the art multi-purpose biomechanical prosthetic limbs.

"The principle behind this project is to improve the quality of life for the wounded in the line of duty," said Mark Donald, NSW foundation. "What we are doing here is taking a SEAL who has to deploy with two prosthetic legs, one for swimming and one for running, and creating one leg for him."

The East Coast based SEAL was conducting a July 2007 mission in Iraq, when he lost part of his leg to an improvised explosive device (IED). He refused to succumb to his injuries and did not want his career as a Navy SEAL to end.

"After two years of battling with the doctors, they told me that I would have to amputate part of my leg, and that would be the end of my naval career," said the SEAL. "I have wanted to be a SEAL ever since I can remember and I refused to let this end my career, so I battled to stay active. I was also told by the doctors that I would not be able to walk for a year and a half; in nine months, not only was I walking, I was also running.

Read more...

I am assuming he is a SEAL based on what knowledge I have read about his weapon and uniform. If I am correct then this could be his story. Kudos to the Foundation and QL+.

Active SEALs May Get Special Prosthetics"After two years of battling with the doctors, they told me that I would have to amputate part of my leg, and that would be the end of my naval career," said the SEAL. "I have wanted to be a SEAL ever since I can remember and I refused to let this end my career, so I battled to stay active. I was also told by the doctors that I would not be able to walk for a year and a half; in nine months, not only was I walking, I was also running.

Read more...

Not the first time someone has recieved a prosthetic, in the Navy, to continue their career, or other branches for that mattter.

Master Chief Carl Brushear was most likely the first, in the Navy.

In regards to the NVG here, I can't really tell by the picture, but are there really 4 lenses/optics (I don't know the technical term, excuse my ignorance) attached to the helmet and if so, how does that work when they're being used?

In regards to the NVG here, I can't really tell by the picture, but are there really 4 lenses/optics (I don't know the technical term, excuse my ignorance) attached to the helmet and if so, how does that work when they're being used?
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...But from my understanding of them, they give you a panoramic view vs. having tunnel vision. I also believe that there are 5 lenses/optics on that set.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...But from my understanding of them, they give you a panoramic view vs. having tunnel vision. I also believe that there are 5 lenses/optics on that set.

For you old school folks :D, this piece of cool gear is called a GPNVG (Ground Panoramic Night Vision Goggles)

Read this:
Ground Panoramic Night Vision Goggle (GPNVG)
$5,000,000

This earmark request is for the 2010 fiscal year.
Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (NH) requests $5,000,000 for:
Insight Technology, Inc.
9 Akira Way
Londonderry, NH 03053

Summary
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This project will fund development of an exceptionally advanced night vision goggle that will increase field of vision from 40 to 97 degrees. Upgrades in this vision technology will enhance security and combat effectiveness of Special Operations Forces (SOF) units while creating 40 new jobs in Londonderry, NH and supporting suppliers from across New Hampshire.

Source

Not the first time someone has recieved a prosthetic, in the Navy, to continue their career, or other branches for that mattter.

Master Chief Carl Brashear was most likely the first, in the Navy.

He was. Before him there was an Air Force pilot, and since...a Navy EOD officer, a couple SEALs, and at least one guy from the 75th.

He was. Before him there was an Air Force pilot, and since...a Navy EOD officer, a couple SEALs, and at least one guy from the 75th.

And Marine MSgt "Spanky" Gibson.

These pictures are pretty badass. That cold weather training looks fun.

Back