Need Advice on Rucking...

3 Star Marine Mom

Unverified
Since my kids left home, I have been lost. So I took up running at 48 yrs old and now 49, I have completed 5, 10, 12 and two half marathons as early as last Sunday! I've never been an athlete, but my Marines have motivated me! They laugh and call me Moto Mom!
I am passionate about helping others and when my oldest Marine lost four Marines during his deployment in 2012, I felt compelled to honor them in some way. I learned about the Bataan Memorial Death March and decided to throw the idea around and here I am; rucking in a pair of Bates Lites Durashocks for the first time today; survived 6 miles! Damn my feet hurt! Lesson 1, I failed to wear any type of wicking sock under my socks. Lesson 2, I left my flip flops for when I was done and had to wear my boots all the way home and in to the grocery store while trying not to appear INJURED! Lesson 3, Never Quit! And last but not least Lesson 4, Ice cream helps with recovery, lol!

And this is where I need your help!
I am seeking any and all advice on rucking (light weight...maybe not even the 35; just my hydration pak, fuel,socks, etc...not sure yet) and caring for my feet! The local VFW and Flathead Marines have paid my travel expenses to make this a reality and now the pressure is on! I have 155 days to prepare myself! So throw it at me! I'm ready!

Knee high panty hose under socks? Duct tape? If so, on the feet or on the boot=n the feet or in the boot? Wicking socks? Ointments? Pack an aid kit? With what? How many miles and how many times a week should I train?

I am also doing this as a support of the Wounded Warrior Project: http://www.crowdrise.com/3starmarinemom/fundraiser/marilynolson1

Last edited by a moderator:
Injinji socks are like gold for preventing blisters, put them on first and then throw a pair of moisture wicking wool socks on over them, and then a pair of well-broken in boots/trail shoes - I personally really like the Asolo Fugitive GTX's, but I'm not sure if they come in womens sizes or not (I assume they do).

Last edited:
You're better off toughening your feet rather than buying some fancy sock.

My advice to you is to start rucking with very light weights and short distances, i.e. use the ruck you will use during the Bataan but start with a total weight of no more than 10lbs and walk 1-2 miles.
Evaluate what was uncomfortable/hurt etc... and adjust as necessary.
You need to get conditioned to rucking, doing 6miles and destroying your feet is just going to hurt, you need to get used to it in order to progress.

I would recommend buying this book too, it goes into detail about rucking and feet maintenance.
http://www.amazon.com/Get-Selected-Special-Forces-Successfully/dp/0975355279

I also want to say, I think what you are doing is awesome. :thumbsup:

Light weight, good socks. Dual socks are good for starters, after a while when you start growing the requisite hooves, you'll be fine with a good single set. I stopped wearing dual socks in boy scouts and a good set of thorlos is all I wore unless I had to wear army issue for whatever reason. Even then, fresh new issue was still not total shit and wouldn't shred my feet.

Flip flops are ok, but sneakers are what I preferred if I even bothered swapping out after roadmarches.

I wouldn't listen to Pardus anyway, there's guys on here that walk better one legged than he can with two. :D

"Don't buy those fancy socks, buy this fancy book instead" :rolleyes:

Quiet now, the adults are talking :p

I wouldn't listen to Pardus anyway, there's guys on here that walk better one legged than he can with two. :D

LOL, I can't argue with that. I have some catching up to do. First day post cast!

Foot powder, socks, and spending time on your feet. If you have knee problems, KT tape is nice to be familiar with. They have video tutorials on their homepage.

I can't speak much on insoles, because I haven't rucked in the stock soles that come with the Lites, but I enjoyed the Superfeet inserts.

I'll do that
25 miler with 50 lb pack tomorrow, right? :ROFLMAO:
Curious to see how your feet hold up! Better than mine I'm certain!

Foot powder, socks, and spending time on your feet. If you have knee problems, KT tape is nice to be familiar with. They have video tutorials on their homepage.

I can't speak much on insoles, because I haven't rucked in the stock soles that come with the Lites, but I enjoyed the Superfeet inserts.
I have Superfeet insoles right now...$5 for those lil suckers! But honestly, if my Brooks running shoes insoles fit, I may switch.

You're better off toughening your feet rather than buying some fancy sock.

My advice to you is to start rucking with very light weights and short distances, i.e. use the ruck you will use during the Bataan but start with a total weight of no more than 10lbs and walk 1-2 miles.
Evaluate what was uncomfortable/hurt etc... and adjust as necessary.
You need to get conditioned to rucking, doing 6miles and destroying your feet is just going to hurt, you need to get used to it in order to progress.

I would recommend buying this book too, it goes into detail about rucking and feet maintenance.
http://www.amazon.com/Get-Selected-Special-Forces-Successfully/dp/0975355279

I also want to say, I think what you are doing is awesome. :thumbsup:
Hey thank you for that! This is COMPLETELY different than running all summer long, I'm learning! Unfortunately, I waited til my Marines were on their way out the door to really begin doing more outdoors. We hunt all winter long and I've been the one that usually stayed behind just to catch up on weekend chores. Before I knew it, a little of that jiggly stuff appeared and then I felt too tired to go even when I wanted. So I joined Crossfit, dropped 25 lbs and started running, did my first Spartan Race and kept on moving ever since! Def made the husband happy cause now I'll beat him to the tree when our hounds tree a cat! Plan to snowshoe this winter too.
But this boot thing....I'm not going to say it! I need motivation because I REFUSE to be sitting in a medic tent crying on this march! I'm scared to death, committed, motivated, and yet fearless! So, yeah, I think I need to toughen up, huh?

I have Superfeet insoles right now...$5 for those lil suckers! But honestly, if my Brooks running shoes insoles fit, I may switch.
I meant 45!!!!!

The advice you've received will help. I'm posting to say that you are awesome.
Thank you...I need to hear that!

Hey thank you...I read through that...good stuff. I keep hearing the pantyhose thing....seems mostly old corps posts, but they swear by it. Your thoughts, ever tried it?

I gotta say...I have one bad ass blister (busted) about the size of a quarter on my heel tonight. I managed to still run two miles in my running shoes and suck it up. Hurt like hell, but oh well. Bought some New Skin, but not sure if I can put it on an open blister.8-)

Injinji socks are like gold for preventing blisters, put them on first and then throw a pair of moisture wicking wool socks on over them, and then a pair of well-broken in boots/trail shoes - I personally really like the Asolo Fugitive GTX's, but I'm not sure if they come in womens sizes or not (I assume they do).

Just to address the bold part, it's generally easy enough to buy mens boots that will fit a woman's foot unless they have a small one (it's generally 1 1/2 sizes down from your regular size). I can wear a mens 7 1/2 with no problems when I need boots. Anchorage didn't have much of a selection for females for duty boots so I had to go that route for years and have stuck with it. Mens boots seem to last longer too.

My last pair of regular woman's combat boots my 14 year old niece now has and wears.

Just to address the bold part, it's generally easy enough to buy mens boots that will fit a woman's foot unless they have a small one (it's generally 1 1/2 sizes down from your regular size). I can wear a mens 7 1/2 with no problems when I need boots. Anchorage didn't have much of a selection for females for duty boots so I had to go that route for years and have stuck with it. Mens boots seem to last longer too.

My last pair of regular woman's combat boots my 14 year old niece now has and wears.
I'm wearing a men's 6 Bates Lites.

Holy Mother of God....NEVER put New Skin on an open blister!!!!! Ahhhhhhh!!!! kjhgfkjhgjhg!!!!!!!!! Whew! I got this!!

But this boot thing....I'm not going to say it! I need motivation because I REFUSE to be sitting in a medic tent crying on this march! I'm scared to death, committed, motivated, and yet fearless! So, yeah, I think I need to toughen up, huh?

No, it sounds like you are already tough enough. Now you need to start being smart. Get good boots that fit your feet. Go to REI etc... and try a few different types. Find what suits you.

I gotta say...I have one bad ass blister (busted) about the size of a quarter on my heel tonight. I managed to still run two miles in my running shoes and suck it up. Hurt like hell, but oh well. Bought some New Skin, but not sure if I can put it on an open blister.8-)

Now that is not smart at all. Actually Foolish in my opinion.

I told you before to take it slow until you adjust, take it or leave it, up to you.

Back