Negative Press on Marine Corps

I don't think integrating boot camp will change anything other than male entry level standards. This Facebook scandal is not a symptom of a larger Marine Corps misogynistic culture that can be fixed by integrating boot camp but rather the active actions of a few miscreants in a group with 30,000 members who passively participated in these misdeeds through their inaction.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

To your point I agree 100%. As you stated previously I also share in your concern that Congress will get involved and use this to alter our Corps, IMO not in a good way.
There are still many Congressional hold overs from the mid-90's, who shared POTUS 42's view that USMC was a redundancy. And actively worked against the Corps. As was previously stated in the thread, the whole of the Corps will suffer for a few shitbirds.

It struck me when the Commandant said, "Marines, you're not helping me when you do things like this" (loosely quoted). He was truly disappointed... as many of us are.

I can't help but feel it is a result of a broader societal shift into a overly permissive mentality, that would lead to such UNSAT activity.

Last edited:
I would also submit that this problem likely extends well outside of the Marine Corps and a Facebook group and likely had tendrils reaching into every corner of the DOD.

Yes, you are correct. There are news reports that additional anonymous sites - supposedly you have to know the web address to access - exist and are linked to other US military brances.

heh, this has been going for years now in regular society, from sexting to nude selfies.......of course it's going to show up in the military services.

heh, this has been going for years now in regular society, from sexting to nude selfies.......of course it's going to show up in the military services.

Understood, but as a professional fighting force and all that comes with the oath, a highier standard is expected & required.

As Teufel stated, the perspective is not the reality. Unfortunately the inevitable response will be gaged on the false perspective that it is a larger problem.

Reality is social media is a double edged sword...

Last edited:
They've been briefing us about that here at OCS and telling us we better stay away from pages like that. They're taking it very seriously here.

They've been briefing us about that here at OCS and telling us we better stay away from pages like that. They're taking it very seriously here.

Thanks for the input. Glad to here, but would expect nothing less.

Best of Luck!

if you are in government services, military, intelligence, law enforcement....etc....get off social media sites, period. It will bring you nothing but trouble, or make your personal / family safety vulnerable. If you NEED to have a social site to stay connected to family....lock down the security and make your "page" as vanilla as possible.

But, I digress, we have beat this horse to death before.....

I think the scope of this is also significant - though not surprising. 30k current and former Marines (isn't the corps only like 300k active?) is a pretty sizeable chunk of a small organization...

Actually sir, about 180,000 active. I don't think the Corps has had 300,000 active duty Marines since WW2. But that just reinforces the point your making. 30,000 is indeed a sizeable chunk of 180k.

Actually sir, about 180,000 active. I don't think the Corps has had 300,000 active duty Marines since WW2. But that just reinforces the point your making. 30,000 is indeed a sizeable chunk of 180k.

Good to know, I was thinking 200k then I thought - that can't be right can it? I think they'll find in the investigation - as has already been stated here - 'Marines United' and sites like it will have plenty of non-Marines, non-servicemembers, and members of other services to round out that 30k.

if you are in government services, military, intelligence, law enforcement....etc....get off social media sites, period. It will bring you nothing but trouble, or make your personal / family safety vulnerable. If you NEED to have a social site to stay connected to family....lock down the security and make your "page" as vanilla as possible.

Agree......:thumbsup:
Faceback.jpeg

No. The real takeaway from that comic is everyone in the CIA wears sunglasses indoors.

Those glasses are computers that download files they need tied directly into their brains....teaching them key languages like Russian, Arabic and critical skills like Karate, hot wiring a car! I saw it on a documentary called "Chuck"....O_o

Quick anecdote from last night that highlights my eventual point.

So, I'm on a consulting business trip to Germany and last night I'm sitting in a hotel bar with a few classmates. I am an enlisted infantry Marine veteran, and there are three other classmates with me - one is an Army infantry officer and one is a full time mba who we know and like very much. The third person is a part time MBA who I feel. and the other two feel, is a real turd burglar. Just to fuck with him, I introduce myself as my army friend and give his background as my own, and he does the same with me. We keep throwing digs at eachother, basically using this guy as a medium to give eachother shit as friends. He gets up to take a piss, and this guy says

"Man, those Marines are real animals."

Of course I goad him on, making him talk all the shit he feels about Marines to me, the actual Marine ( My other friend was just dying laughing at all of this). He proceeds to basically say the Marine Corps is terrifying, that we are no better than caged animals, that we should be psych evaled upon return to civilian life, that the Army should just absorb the Marine Corps anyway, and that he thinks Marines are basically just dumb killing machines that serve the corporate greed of America.

He pointed out these things about my friend, whom he thought was the Marine, to me who he thought was a West Point educated, sophisticated and cultured, Army Officer. He then asked both of us which one of us got to see more people die, and I asked him if has ever got the opportunity to be choked on a German hotel bar floor. That's besides the point, but I thought it was funny - he did not.

The point here is, people think Marines are animals as it stands. That's not a bad thing. Having the global public afraid of what the Marines can be is psychological, and not based on the people themselves within that branch. I would rather have the enemy shit themselves if they heard we were coming, and I don't care if that is based on the mangled bodies we have left in our wake, or the rumor of them.

I spoke to this guy in the most crude, disgusting way possible and my friend spoke to him in his normal, neutral tone. Yet, that didn't matter. He still told me that my friend should be monitored and kept tabs on, because he was a Marine. Nothing of what he saw changed his mind.

What i'm getting at is: The public has its opinion on the Corps, and ultimately that is an opinion long standing based on the image of ferocious, inhuman warriors who would just as soon spike a baby on a bayonet as they would help an old lady across the street. The Corps is good at warfighting, but it's better at Branding and boy, has it done a good job of Branding the Corps in this image.

"We don't promise you a rose garden" was a value proposition for enlistment once upon a time. Few services could end up with that as an effective recruitment tool.

This scandal shocks exactly no one. But what it does do is make us apologize to the public, and that is where I don't appreciate the outcome. I think the sharing of these pictures is fucking disgusting, yet I'd be a hypocrite to satay I haven't shown half my platoon the treasure troves of tit/vag pics I've received over my years in. I think it's fucking dumb to have ano essentially open group to do this, and I think the harassment of women is a form of predatory bullshit and in many ways weakness when being challenged about it. Posting people's information online for harassment is a form of passive aggressiveness that I hate, and has no place in the military in general. I think sharing nudes is normal, but the actions and forum in which it was done is dumber than normal. Marines are best served by flying under the radar. Forcing us to apologize to the world makes us look weak, and that ruins the mystique of the Corps.

The people responsible should be held accountable. That's just how it is. I think many of the people, especially in the Corps currently, who are lighting torches and holding pitchforks are hypocrites. I'm not saying that of this forum, and especially of the people in this thread. I read a lot and I think this community is consistent and honest. I'm talking about the media outlash and those outspoken Marines and Marine Vets. This scandal is a chance for people to harness attention and / or say "No not me I'm so much better than that". That makes me sick.

Now onto your point about gender....

Who cares? I am conflicted about women in combat Arms because on one hand, I don't think when life if on the line regularly, that fair and equal is ever a consideration. On the other hand, I feel that anyone who wants to hump a 240 and spray the enemy with outbound fire should be available to do so. I like the idea of separate battalions, where a 100 pound woman can realistically carry another 100 pound woman off the battlefield, and that logistical considerations would be consistent. that's a hard sell, and no one likes that option publicly because for some reason it's more PC to either hate women in the infantry than it is to advocate for segregation.

Whatever. You're talking about boot camp and honestly, that's like...the least of anyone's concern. Perhaps it's a reserve thing, but everyone I know who is a reservist cares about the boot camp thing, whereas most active duty feel nothing one way or a other about boot camp. As one of my reservist friends stated to me once (in my words) "Boot camp and SOI are usually all we have, so it's all we know"

I don't give a shit about coed boot camp, what I care about is a fighting force that's known for being brutal and can back that up with brutality. This scandal hurts both. Women in the rack next to men at boot camp does not. Women in the fighting hole next to a man might, but no one here knows - we only staple our perspectives onto the idea and call it a fact. Hell, It worked for the mobile infantry and they conquered some of the ugliest bug planets in the universe.

Mireen hav trubel reeding qwik anikdot. 8-):D
Ayyy Marin, slivr bulit n chil?

On a serious note, I'm surprised it took this long for the "Marines United" story to break. Nude selfies of service members spread like wildfire around the time of OEF/OIF. You can hold all the mandatory briefing sessions you want, but ultimately you're fighting against a cultural acceptance (by males and females) that it's OK to create and distribute these kinds of images, and it's not really a big deal whether you consented to their release or not. I don't really have an answer to this except to teach kids of what happens when they're indiscriminate with who they share their naughty bits with.

Last edited:
Mireen hav trubel reeding qwik anikdot. 8-):D

I think it's impossible for me to write less than 500 words at this point.

Also I thought you were typing German at first...and copied your message to put into Google translator. Maybe I am dumb.

They don't have to get prosecuted, there's plenty that can be done administratively if need be.

Back