New Boonie Hat Design

lrs143

Verified Military
The first pic shows 550 all the way up, the second shows it 1" up, the final design is halfway up, but I don't have pics yet. There is a pocket inside at the top. Wanted to make something you could really get some foliage or burlap into.
TacBoonProto.jpg

Proto1_d.jpg

TacBoonProtoPocket.jpg

Here's the final product. This one's mine, the rest don't have velcro on the sides, just top and back.
Multicam1_sm.jpg

Got an invite to the range so show off some gear to SF tomorrow so we'll hand out a few.
What do you think of the design? Plenty of places to attach foliage, burlap, or whatever you want, nice large vents to keep your noggin cool, loop velcro on top and back, removable chinstrap, and a pocket inside the top.

You might find Tan 499 thread a better match for MC fabric. I use 498 personally.

Did you consider making the entire top mesh since its intended to be scrimmed up?

You might find Tan 499 thread a better match for MC fabric. I use 498 personally.

Did you consider making the entire top mesh since its intended to be scrimmed up?

There's a pocket inside the top so the mesh won't work unless I make them without. I'm a little thin on hair up there so I need the coverage of the NyCo. I have some Tan 499 Thread, I'll send it over to the shop for the next run.

I'm as bald as a hot chicks vaginn mate. Just with scrimmed up hats I found the mesh in the top helped me vent heat a bit more. Just make the pocket out of mesh as well ;)

I like it. Is the 550 a single running piece, or a few shorter ones?

RF 1
Here's the final product. This one's mine, the rest don't have velcro on the sides, just top and back.
Multicam1_sm.jpg

Got an invite to the range so show off some gear to SF tomorrow so we'll hand out a few.
What do you think of the design? Plenty of places to attach foliage, burlap, or whatever you want, nice large vents to keep your noggin cool, loop velcro on top and back, removable chinstrap, and a pocket inside the top.

RECCE Boonie - make one with a smaller brim for those of us that dont like the larger brims. Other than that I like it.
I make it with a 2 1/8" brim too.

I just showed this to the guys and they're will to put four of them through the ringer if you'd like field testing.
I gave away 7 to the 5th SF guys I shot with on Friday.

I like it. Is the 550 a single running piece, or a few shorter ones? RF 1
It's one piece around the brim, but the piece on the top it seperate.

I hate to add my voice with yet another suggestion, but I think a civilian model would do well: No 550, no velcro, and a little more mesh at the top. That would probably save you a little time and money too. :)

I hate to add my voice with yet another suggestion, but I think a civilian model would do well: No 550, no velcro, and a little more mesh at the top. That would probably save you a little time and money too. :-)
No velcro?? How are you going to attach the subdued American flag!? :ROFLMAO:

Thinking about the ability to unpick it and have a fair length of cord if you find yourself in a tight spot?
Single running line offers more flexibility, for any situation. Easier to snug line up around tied on stuff; and, as you noted, a little extra line if needed.

RF 1

Back