New Commo

I would have given my left nut for this a few years ago, knowing whos about to blunder onto your OP because some fuck tard didnt mention we were in the area would be a god send.

In line with the follow ons the only drama I had in the desert was getting the antenna high enough for the take off angle and the fact it's hard to get a good earth. You can make a spider to solve the earth problem or piss on the ground spike if your desperate. A small collapsible fibreglass tent pole sorts out the angle.

For urban just drape a ground wire or use a bastardized L shape with a reflector and NVIS it.

Did a job were we rolled in an RV once, had a 1/4 wave box set up on the roof.

Sat is faster but getting the air time was a mission for us and the same for you guys as I understand it.

I still have nightmares about tacchat and sending jpegs. That and typing sitereps into the KDU because we couldn't get a decent link to voice or transfer. We ended up getting general dynamics ruggedised palm pilots, beat the shit out of the tough books for weight and size. Also not really a fan of ALE and 3G to a degree, still think we should use morse and pads but oh we'll what do I know.

Not much, just at PMTs and in training- and it's all been ALE.

Not much, just at PMTs and in training- and it's all been ALE.

Brother, that is sad.

There was a push by the CDR of the Echo course to remove HF from training. He was a CIF guy - who would have guessed it. Smarter, more backwards (UW) thinking prevailed.

I wonder how guys think we will be talking in the future if the ability to use Sat comes to an end because of the ability of others to listen? I suppose we could talk in the noise. ;)

Crip

How is this anything like a Wolfhound? Wolfhound is SIGINT, not actually for OUR comms. The Wolfhound is one of the best pieces of equipment conventional forces (and hell, even us when we don't have assets) have for chasing bad guys. You set a couple up at various COPs, maybe push out an OP with one if your network needs to be upped. You can turn random chatter into something worthy of analysis and even into something actionable almost overnight.

Wolfhound, 10 out of 10- one of the best pieces of commo gear in the GWOT.
This new thing, who knows.

Wolfhound is a great system and great user feedback like this keeps it going.

Agree with comment about HF, many folks have said its dead for years but last time I checked it is as busy as ever and lots of companies are still building radios. HF comms are free satellite comms arent, HF works in the jungle satellite doesnt, HF comms are hard to locate satellite comms arent. HF ALE, HF email, and low cost and easy to operate digital HF radios have given it a boost. My 5 watt Yaesu 817 and a 90 ft B&W dipole work wonders

Wolfhound is a great system and great user feedback like this keeps it going.

Agree with comment about HF, many folks have said its dead for years but last time I checked it is as busy as ever and lots of companies are still building radios. HF comms are free satellite comms arent, HF works in the jungle satellite doesnt, HF comms are hard to locate satellite comms arent. HF ALE, HF email, and low cost and easy to operate digital HF radios have given it a boost. My 5 watt Yaesu 817 and a 90 ft B&W dipole work wonders

Steve,
Please an Intro in the proper sub-forum before posting again.

Really? I'd like to learn more about why they're difficult to DF...it's only been done since World War One. :-"

(Please note how that shit rhymes! In honor of MCA (RIP).)
Sure it has but by using large stand off skywave DF systems, expensive airborne DF systems or short range ground wave DF systems, but not very accurate, timely or tactical, finding a low power man pack using NVIS isnt easy :-)

"You can make a spider to solve the earth problem or piss on the ground spike if your desperate. A small collapsible fibreglass tent pole sorts out the angle.
For urban just drape a ground wire or use a bastardized L shape with a reflector and NVIS it.
Did a job were we rolled in an RV once, had a 1/4 wave box set up on the roof."

ever use one of these for HF? they dont make them anymore but they can still be had and they work great! http://www.hflink.com/antenna/elpa/

These are the norm nowadays...

Is NVIS harder to DF because of the steep angle that it's bouncing at? I'm sure my terminology suck, but you know what I mean.

In part BUT the big deal is the fact the antenna is close to the ground limiting the radiation pattern (no ground wave), in effect, making the HF antenna sort of directional (as directional as HF can be) as well as the low power needed to achieve high quality reception (very little distortion or loss). Imagine a water hose pointed skyward: one could control where it waters the lawn without getting the entire area wet like with a sprinker. You can basically do that same thing with HF comms with NVIS.

NVIS is not impossible to find, fix, and pass to you all to..., well you know...but one must be close and knowledable.

Damn, I love my job. Like commo but with titties. :thumbsup:

But if lack of a groundwave were the main point in making NVIS hard to DF, satcom would be even better. I'm thinking the range at which you can communicate coupled with the low power needed is the bigger point. I am just a dumb bravo, but 400+ miles @ <5 watts sounds cool.

But if lack of a groundwave were the main point in making NVIS hard to DF, satcom would be even better. I'm thinking the range at which you can communicate coupled with the low power needed is the bigger point. I am just a dumb bravo, but 400+ miles @ <5 watts sounds cool.

Prob should hit up your SOT-As inside their office...or wait a few months and we can take this up in person. :D

Another option, tell SGM Rainey you want need this guy down there ASAP! :thumbsup:

Well Guys, I'm an ancient 05B (way before ECHO). In the day we had HF-CW(Morse code only)) for commo anywhere outside a few miles. Single sideband was just beginning to be used (voice). Computing was done with pencil/paper or slide rule. Satellite, internet, e-mail was science fiction.

That being said, all it will take to disable the satellites is a small nuke detonated in the upper atmosphere or just outside it. The resulting EMP will eliminate sat-com. Then, we will have to dig up the AN/GRC 109's,
AN/GRC 19's ETC that are in the basement of some museum and go back to bouncing radio off the ionosphere. I hope there are a few left to be used. Morse code is a pain in the butt to learn initially but you don't forget it, especially if you use it occasionally. -food for thought-

It might just be possible that there are a few "Old Farts" lurking around on this "New Fangled" computer forum and I'm not the only one.

Trying to send images over HF breaks my heart, every single fucking time. Voice is shit on it too.

As for Toughbooks, the only thing I like about them is the fact we somehow ended up with Pinball on ours.

Back