New Commo

What happens when somebody loses that little arm computer? If the enemy gets a hold of that, I can imagine that it would be a pretty bad day for everyone on the ground.

Never used the stuff, but the overall JTRS concept has a bunch of problems. Hopefully USASOC can iron out the deficiencies for its platforms.

I don't think guys will lose it. They already have nine million sensitive items all over them on the average mission. I just think either A) it won't work like its supposed to (as freefalling alluded to) or B) It will not get used.

This brings up another interesting point, and it isn't limited to SOF (apologies Goon if I'm totally hijacking your thread), but how many more "capabilities" do our guys need? Great, you can shave 3 lbs. off of a plate carrier, but then we add 10 lbs. to his vest and body. The geeks are screaming "Look what technology can do for the battlefield!", the PEO/ gear types are screaming "Look how much weight we're taking off the individual soldier while giving him state of the art gear!", and the poor bloody infantry is probably just screaming.

Commanders are almost to the point where they need two RTO's: one for the radios and one for the data equipment.

I haven't used that system in particular but I've used vehicle and "mobile" terminals in our systems. I can see the use at an OP and where ever it reports to but it's just another piece of junk to add weight.

This brings up another interesting point, and it isn't limited to SOF (apologies Goon if I'm totally hijacking your thread), but how many more "capabilities" do our guys need? Great, you can shave 3 lbs. off of a plate carrier, but then we add 10 lbs. to his vest and body. The geeks are screaming "Look what technology can do for the battlefield!", the PEO/ gear types are screaming "Look how much weight we're taking off the individual soldier while giving him state of the art gear!", and the poor bloody infantry is probably just screaming.

Commanders are almost to the point where they need two RTO's: one for the radios and one for the data equipment.

I'll tell you what, as a RTO I would have loved this fucker. PLGR, Camera, radio control and some SA all rolled up into probably one pound including radio interface kit?

Fuck yeah.

Interesting....I don't really see the need for this and I think it will find it's way to the bottom of a tough box in the commo cage...but I don't know. Anyone have any first hand experience with this stuff?

http://www.afcea.org/signal/signalscape/index.php/2012/01/31/15607/

Ranger Goon, 8-)

Write back when you see the WOLFHOUND system. Basically same shit but does different stuff as far as "goes in ta" without the "goes out ta". 125lbs of lightweight gear is still 125lbs.

How is this anything like a Wolfhound? Wolfhound is SIGINT, not actually for OUR comms. The Wolfhound is one of the best pieces of equipment conventional forces (and hell, even us when we don't have assets) have for chasing bad guys. You set a couple up at various COPs, maybe push out an OP with one if your network needs to be upped. You can turn random chatter into something worthy of analysis and even into something actionable almost overnight.

Wolfhound, 10 out of 10- one of the best pieces of commo gear in the GWOT.
This new thing, who knows.

Etype,

"like" in that there's a cool looking :-o doo-hickey that can be mounted on the sleeve and it's another chance for more shit to carry. SOT-A joke.

If it could perform the role that our toughbooks were doing with tac-chat and compressing picture files to ease there sending on HF, I could see a use for LRS.
Reed

HF??? Come on, get with the 90s- we use sat these days.

HF works when other things won't, just takes a brain to know how to do it.
About the same amount of work as sending via sat- if you have your antenna precut before the mission. The big problem I see with sending stuff HF is antenna setup in certain environments(like desert and urban), and the amount of time required to actually send and receive.

Back