New Reports Prove Multivitamins are a 'Waste' of Money

But in all seriousness, one of the guys I work with is an ISSN sports nutritionist (yes, that is not accredited), and he constantly relays information he reads from ISSN studies and the like, and backs them up when questioned.

By the sounds of amlove21's response and yours, I feel as if I have stepped on a mine that's about to blow up in my face. :D

We used to have a member here with credentials similar to your friend. He was soundly proven to be a clown. Second hand info from an unaccredited individual who reads a lot doesn't carry much weight. Your buddy may be a genius and 100% on point with his info, but our track record with his type isn't encouraging.

You can be as cheeky as you want, but you're coming across as a know-it-all which is doubly funny since we have actual doctors and physiologists posting in this thread. Your signal-to-noise ratio is rather high so you may want to dial back your posts and play more of a passive role. You have zero military experience, but presume to interact with us on a peer level where military experience is concerned?

Fish oil for joint lubrication, magnesium for energy production/sleep as well as zinc for joints again. No I'm not assuming that all military members are deficient in those micronutrients. I can't speak for all MRE's, I'm not an MREist, but for the ones that I have had (Australian) I'd say they could do with some of the things listed, maybe some digestive enzymes as well. Benefits were listed above.
I think you misunderstood me. I know what the supplements are for, I was asking what benefits you think the rank and file military member would see from including them in MRE's, and if you had any information to support what seems to be you saying MRE's aren't ok by themselves and need supplementation.

Omega 3-6-9's are important for a bunch of different reasons. They also prolong the clotting cascade and when taken in high volumes can make ordinary bleeders really hard to stop. Magnesium is soooooo hot right now for sleep- and it's not been tested or proven to help more than melatonin or anything else (anecdotal evidence aside).

I will say this flatly; a good number of the people engaging on this thread are trying to be cordial, but "my mate told me so" isn't a great way to get your info. I know you heard it on another thread but it bears repeating- maybe read a little more and post a little less. No drama- but you're not in the military, you don't have specialized information sources or expertise on this specific topic.

ETA- Free beat me to it. Press on everyone.

We used to have a member here with credentials similar to your friend. He was soundly proven to be a clown. Second hand info from an unaccredited individual who reads a lot doesn't carry much weight. Your buddy may be a genius and 100% on point with his info, but our track record with his type isn't encouraging.

You can be as cheeky as you want, but you're coming across as a know-it-all which is doubly funny since we have actual doctors and physiologists posting in this thread. Your signal-to-noise ratio is rather high so you may want to dial back your posts and play more of a passive role. You have zero military experience, but presume to interact with us on a peer level where military experience is concerned?
I think you misunderstood me. I know what the supplements are for, I was asking what benefits you think the rank and file military member would see from including them in MRE's, and if you had any information to support what seems to be you saying MRE's aren't ok by themselves and need supplementation.

Omega 3-6-9's are important for a bunch of different reasons. They also prolong the clotting cascade and when taken in high volumes can make ordinary bleeders really hard to stop. Magnesium is soooooo hot right now for sleep- and it's not been tested or proven to help more than melatonin or anything else (anecdotal evidence aside).

I will say this flatly; a good number of the people engaging on this thread are trying to be cordial, but "my mate told me so" isn't a great way to get your info. I know you heard it on another thread but it bears repeating- maybe read a little more and post a little less. No drama- but you're not in the military, you don't have specialized information sources or expertise on this specific topic.

ETA- Free beat me to it. Press on everyone.
Ah, I'm sorry I came across as a know it all, I'm yet to get used to interacting on forums, let alone a military one. So I will certainly dial back my posts. But I will leave an article that contains a number of references to the benefits of fish oil, just for conversation sake.

fish oil | The ISSN Scoop

Also once again sorry for my ignorance. :-x

I got an EPA notice on septic tank systems, and I thought I'd pass it along to you:Gmail.

ETA: Septic Smart Week. I wonder if we ever have a week that is not dedicated to some one, or something??

Thanks. Still dealing with the issue, but fortunately barely a simmer. Hopefully get through the winter before committing to a repair.

Ah, I'm sorry I came across as a know it all, I'm yet to get used to interacting on forums, let alone a military one. So I will certainly dial back my posts. But I will leave an article that contains a number of references to the benefits of fish oil, just for conversation sake.

fish oil | The ISSN Scoop

Also once again sorry for my ignorance. :-x

You do realize that the ISSN is supported solely by the supplement industry, right? It is the voice of GNC ...

Back